monster_beetle

Camel Land Rover Defender Scale Build

This looks great!

Need more threads like this- Cummon Dee, you must be up to something!?

Ryan couldn't agree more that's why mines not on here! And the only reason is this, whenever i manage to get a picture to come it's always the size of a postage stamp!

If anyone can point me in the right direction i stick it up.

Sneaky postage pic for anyone

post-18200-1196071444.jpg

Nice Build keep up the good work.

That's because you do uploading them on the Tamiyaclub forum itself. I host mine at photobucket, then you can copy and paste the img code into you message. And off you go ;)

At the moment I'm looking to what size of tubes I should use for the roofrack, not sure bout that. The rollcage is 6mm, I'm thinking to make the roofrack 3 or 4mm, but I think3 is the best.

p.s. thanks for the great comments, keep 'em coming ;)

Hilift doublecab?! oohh ;)

REPSOL COLOURS!!!

No Repsol colours and it's an f-150 Supercab actually! Made out of two Blackfoot shells.

Your not getting a build up thread (i'm not hosting pictures twice it takes too long)

here's the thread if you are interested.

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15521

You could register Ryan give you someone else to bug!!

Right that's it from me i'l stop hijacking this thread now!! ;-)

It has been a while, but after searching for square 3mm tube I finally found it. And it arrived yesterday, So today I spend pretty some time on notching, bending and sawing the tubes. I have to do saw just a pair of tubes to length. But the most time consuming thing of this roofrack is yet to come:

Notching small squares from 1,5 by 3mm out of the tubes. So all the tubes can fall smoothly into each other, and that are going to be a lot of holes. I hope to make some pics soon.

This is a beautiful porject. The attention to detail is just remarkable. When I was younger I wanted a Defender so much. However, in USA the Defender were no longer available to the public unless its used or vintage.

Please keep up the great work!

VS

No Defenders in the USA anymore? B)

Hi Monster Beetle

Unfortunately, yes. Back in 1999 I was in a market for a jeep. I wanted to buy a Defender and the dealer told me they discontinue Defender in US market in 98 due to lack of market and high maintaince cost (this was period of time where the SUV and Cherokee was very popular). I perferr the Defender and Toyota Land Cruiser over the Wrangler so I end up purchasing a sports car again lol.

Personally, I think discontinue the Defender and Land Cruiser was a real shame.

VS

high maintaince cost

Is this the same defender that i know (and love), where you can fix it with gaffa tape, a pair of tights and some (used) chewing gum!?

Is this the same defender that i know (and love), where you can fix it with gaffa tape, a pair of tights and some (used) chewing gum!?

you forgot the knicker elastic - have you bought a spare part for a landie from a dealer recently - wow, i got a shock and went to the part store instead!

I thought it had more to do with the lack of airbags and other safety or emissions issues. The US never got the 110 either, though as the oldest start to hit 25 next year I expect there will be some imported. Previously BL as it was then pulled out of the US market in 1972/3 ish and came back mid '80s with the Range Rover.

Real Land-Rovers have a metal dash, none of this modern plastic stuff B)

Dalai Lama was selling his Land Rover Defender a month ago on USA eBay. I wish I have saved the link but it was a hunter green 1970 (?) Defender. Starting out price was 70,000 USD. It was fully restored. I wish I could have bought the car...maybe the car is so devine that I will never get a traffic ticket, get gas, or have to change oil.

VS

Wish i could get my mini blessed, maybe i could win some races and stop getting thru tyres like it's going out of fashion!

So, went on with the roofrack today. Made some tubes, still got to make 9 others. But first I'm going to make the outsides of the roofrack. So I also started notching that outer tubes, and I gotta do that job to too many other tube (still 13 tubes to go :S)

P1010014.jpg

P1010013-1.jpg

And here you see around 3 meter tube lying made ready to be a roofrack :blink:

P1010016.jpg

So, went on with the roofrack today. Made some tubes, still got to make 9 others. But first I'm going to make the outsides of the roofrack. So I also started notching that outer tubes, and I gotta do that job to too many other tube (still 13 tubes to go :S)

Cannot wait to see this finished. Awesome !!!

If I did this level of detail on my Tank, I would be divorced :D

Just to let you know, project is still going, but no real progress at the moment. Busy with making snowchains and preparing my cars for a trip to italy :rolleyes:

Well, not updated for a long time. But in that time not much is happened, because at the moment I'm busy with school. And I have been in italy for a couple of weeks. But today my design landy wheels arrived.

I really hope to be able to make progress soon, but with school I have to make a presentation which will have a lot influence on my exam. And they want me to put at least 60 hours into it :blink:

But some pics of the wheels:

P1010373.jpg

P1010374.jpg

P1010370.jpg

Well, well it has been as while since something happened to this project. But it's going good again, had some thing on my mind, but found time again :lol:

So just to let you know, busy with the roofrack, notching the tubes again. I hope to have big part of the rack done next weekend. And it is really a lot of work (and I hate the notching, so that was also little part of the delay lol)

Just found this thread for the first time, looking fantastic.

I love the brass roll cage, and i expect the roof rack will look very good too :lol:

Are you soldering the roll bar to the rear roll hoop of are they staying seperate? And are there any special plans we don't know about yet?

Another thing. Where do you all get these bodies from? I've been looking on ebay for a while, and in the subscriber trades, but i can never find one (same with the D3 bodies people are using). I would love to have my own project Land Rover too.

I love the brass roll cage, and i expect the roof rack will look very good too :lol:

Are you soldering the roll bar to the rear roll hoop of are they staying seperate? And are there any special plans we don't know about yet?

Another thing. Where do you all get these bodies from? I've been looking on ebay for a while, and in the subscriber trades, but i can never find one (same with the D3 bodies people are using). I would love to have my own project Land Rover too.

Maplins have got the New Bright D3 and Range Rover. From what I've seen your chances of finding the D90 body are fairly slim.

Is that the D3 that everyone is using? I didn't expect to see it on Maplin :lol:

Thanks

The factory in China no longer make this Defender RC toy. But I have made a special request to the factory to produce 60 of them for me. It will be available at the end of this month.