monster_beetle

Camel Land Rover Defender Scale Build

Just found this thread for the first time, looking fantastic.

I love the brass roll cage, and i expect the roof rack will look very good too :D

Are you soldering the roll bar to the rear roll hoop of are they staying seperate? And are there any special plans we don't know about yet?

Another thing. Where do you all get these bodies from? I've been looking on ebay for a while, and in the subscriber trades, but i can never find one (same with the D3 bodies people are using). I would love to have my own project Land Rover too.

The front and rear part of the roll-cage will stay separate from each other. That's way better working when you have to rmove the body etc.

Well, the center part of the roofrack is soldered together. But when it was done I found out that on one side the things were longer than on the other. So that was too bad, after some fitting and looking to it I found out a way to mount the roofrack so I can just saw the piece that are too long of the roofrack. Only thing is that I'm not sure yet if I also have to solder the the upperside of the rofrack, what should you do?

afb003.jpg

afb004.jpg

Looks very nice :D

I've ordered one of these, I plan to blank out the sunroof and rear windows and create a Hard Top 90, then spray it in the same colours as the LRO 90.

Well, before they crashed it...

Maybe you should make the top part by cutting a block of MDF to size and laying the bars around it, then soldering them to make a rectangle box. Might make life a bit easier.

Yeah, I was also thinking about that mdf part. I think that will work great, also curious to see your project coming :)

I have bought a shell myself from RA1028.

Have a few ideas on mine although need to find a 2nd hand chassis for sale if anyone can help.

Well, some progress again. Today I have done a lot to the roofrack, Really spend hours to the car. Roofrack almost finished :angry:

P1010376-1.jpg

P1010373-1.jpg

Looks very good, really like the attention to detail there, gona look great once its painted.

Cheers

Ryck

Yeah, sure it can use some paint.

I thought it was finished, but when looking closer at the pics I missed front crossbraces, so now it's really finished. Just need some money and brass again. Spent a bit too much on my durga :)

Afb038.jpg

Well, finally some progress again.

I removed the rivets from one sidepanel, as the real ones doesn't have rivets there. The rivets next to the wheel arche were pretty hard to be done properly, but then I found a pencil and things became easy. Just lay the sandpaper on the body, push the pencil in it an sand :(

landy1.jpg

The difficult place can be seen here:

landy2.jpg

Also filled the "hole" where the fuel cap fits with putty, got to do some more layers. But this layer need to harden first. Also cut the hole where the fuel cap is gonna be, now only need styrene :P

(here I found out a function on my new camera to have these pictures way more sharp)

landy3.jpg

Here you can see ho it is on the real 1988/1989 model:

d901.jpg

Nice work monster_beetle, I just took delivery of one of these bodies from RA1028. I am watching and learning, I look forward to seeing some colour on it, it is going to look awesome.

Keep it up! ;)

Well, finally some progress again.

I removed the rivets from one sidepanel, as the real ones doesn't have rivets there.

It doesn't have rivets, but it will have a line of visible spot welds in pretty much the same place.

I haven't really updated this thread, but I was more active with this build at scale4x4rc. Bet here are the updates ;)

I have cut the front grille out of the body, as this is the grille of an airco model and have to be moved back a bit. Also cut out a section of the grille so you do not see the body directly behind the grille. There's going to be a radiator behind it.

Also decided it is going to have dual axle chassis instead of the cc-01.

Time for pics:

DSC00195.jpg

DSC00194.jpg

DSC00199.jpg

DSC00197.jpg

The door handles weren't really right, they had to be of the lift-up type and not this modern type. So time for changes, started cutting in the door. But also cutted my hand :blink:

Here's a pic of how it is now, a bit much putty was needed to repair the scratches made. But It's gonna be nice and smooth :D

DSC00203.jpg

DSC00204.jpg

The rear was also not very good, the wheel didn't have to be in the middle of the door, and there were some more things.

I Cutted the hole for the doorhandle in the backdoor, removed some more rivets that didn't have to be there. Also in the gutter there was a triangular thingy above the backdoor, removed that also.

And that wasn't it yet, I removed even more. Under the rearside windows there are some beams (is that the right word), actually nothing wrong with that. But there are some thicker places on it, and that is wrong, so I removed that too.

How the rear was:

P1010375.jpg

And how it is now:

DSC00218.jpg

DSC00222.jpg

And the sides:

How it was:

DSC00220.jpg

How it is now:

DSC00219.jpg

I also noticed that the rivets under the side window aren't right, on the body there are 6 small rivets. While it have to be 3 big rivets on the models of the one I'm making.

Worked on the steering today, the "holder" for the steering wheel took pretty some time to Dremel all the unneeded plastic out of it. And only leftover was pretty thin walls, but then the servo fitted very well.

I took the smallest servo I had laying around, as that will be the most invincible. I have placed the servo as far to the back of the steeringwheel holder as possible, to put the wheel on it as close to the dashboard as possible. That was looking the most scale. And I was a bit lucky that the rear part of the servo had a bit of a slope so it could be put even closer to the dashboard.

The servo was a clear blue one, so also had to paint it black, and of course pull the stickers off (that said towerpro SG-50 :) )

Time for pics ;) Only no pics of the holder without servo attached. Oh and I attached the servo double sided foam tape.

DSC00251.jpg

DSC00248.jpg

DSC00246.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

DSC00252.jpg

DSC00253.jpg

DSC00254.jpg

And the fished doorhandle holes

DSC00255.jpg

DSC00257.jpg

The rear doorhandle hole is also finished, but don't have a pic of it.

How much heavier is the car with the rollcage?

Badboy

The roll cage does weight 102 grammes (front and rear piece together), the roofrack weights 122 grammes.

This is gonna be the snorkel, to be able to bend it I have heated the tube. Then bent it, to make the bend more smooth I notched it all down till I was satisfied.

After that I took some electrics wire, and attached one of the ends of it to the tube with some superglue (loctite 401 rocks). Then winded it around the tube and added some drops of superglue while winding to keep stuff in place. Once done, you take white woodglue (dries clear) and put pretty some on the place with the wire. Smear it out with your hand, and then it's all smooth as seen in the last pic.

When it's painted it really looks like it has never been in an other shape before

DSC00258.jpg

DSC00260.jpg

Wauw, really looking good that car, I just got hold of one of those bodyshells and will get stuck in it after I've completed my Cheetah rebuild.

Just would love to know where you got those super wheels from. Can't find any on the net, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. :o

Wauw, really looking good that car, I just got hold of one of those bodyshells and will get stuck in it after I've completed my Cheetah rebuild.

Just would love to know where you got those super wheels from. Can't find any on the net, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. :o

they are from RC4WD