Savage03

Hotshot Street Tires?

The hot shot Tri-Drive hubs are easily replaced with the "Standard" Tamiya 12mm Hex drives.

Once you have the hex drives, your tyre/rim possibilities are (almost) boundless.

....Plus the standard oval-block tires are great on the street. My Hotshot has been running on the same set of tires since 1985. Of course the car took about 20 years off in the middle there. Still, I've been running a Kyosho LeMans stock 05 as well as a Tamiya sport tuned motor, and have noticed no significant wear on the original tires whatsoever. The car has made countless runs on the street, nearby gravel pile, and even made more laps at the local track than any of my other cars and the tires still look good. I even switched the fronts onto a new pair of wheels because they didn't hold up as well as the tires do...

I have yet to try the new 2007 version of the Oval block tire, but I sure hope Tamiya reused the original rubber compound. I will be certain to snap up many pairs for both my Hotshot, and Vanquish once they actually get them in stock (at TamiyaUSA)...

Thanks guys! I found the hexes at tower you were talking about. Now would I want a 2.2 rim? seems kinda big or a sedan type of size?

I run my oval tires on the street and dirt where I play and havent seen to much wear yet but I want a nice set of street rubber, tires and rims are rather costly for cars anymore so rather keep the dirt rubber for that.

Thanks guys! I found the hexes at tower you were talking about. Now would I want a 2.2 rim? seems kinda big or a sedan type of size?

I run my oval tires on the street and dirt where I play and havent seen to much wear yet but I want a nice set of street rubber, tires and rims are rather costly for cars anymore so rather keep the dirt rubber for that.

Hi there,

I had the same urge, and I got half way there (check the pic). The front tires and wheels are vintage Pajero type, but they weren't too expensive. As others have mentioned, they use the standard hex fitting. I've got some fat Dirt Hawg tires (2.2's) for the rear as I didn't want the rear wheels to be as narrow as the front, but haven't managed to find wheels that are a close match to the front yet. The search goes on!

HS.jpg

Hi

That looks pretty good! These are the hexes you all are talking about?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...AMC3569&P=K

Another item I have been hoping might turn up is cvds, is their anything out there? Thanks

Thanks!

Yeah those look like the hex hubs, although mine are plastic and were described as 12mm. I'm guessing 6mm on your link refers to the radius and 12mm on mine is the diameter.

Sorry, no idea about CVDs.

i Had some hi lift wheels and tyres and also some touareg wheels and tyres on my keen hawk, with the touareg tyres you just use some touring car wheels so plenty of choice, and easy to get hold of on ebay or stella.

If you want special wheels & tires for the street, I suggest a set of DF-03 2.2" wheels (narrow front & wide rear). They even come in many colors like white, black, green, yellow, bright orange, avante orange, etc (search eBay for "Dark-impact wheels" & "DF-03 wheels". For tires I would get Traxxas Anaconda 2.2" buggy street tires. We are currently using these tires on a Brushless Kyosho Lazer ZX-5 and they have been great. Of course they come with foam inserts as well.

Fronts: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXRLP0&P=7

Rears: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXRLN9&P=7

PS: The inner diameter of your wheel hex should be 5mm, not 6mm. same as the axle bearings. Tamiya makes a cheap set out of metal (plastic ones get stuck in your wheels): http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXGE28&P=ML

If you want special wheels & tires for the street, I suggest a set of DF-03 2.2" wheels (narrow front & wide rear). They even come in many colors like white, black, green, yellow, bright orange, avante orange, etc (search eBay for "Dark-impact wheels" & "DF-03 wheels". For tires I would get Traxxas Anaconda 2.2" buggy street tires. We are currently using these tires on a Brushless Kyosho Lazer ZX-5 and they have been great. Of course they come with foam inserts as well.

Fronts: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXRLP0&P=7

Rears: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXRLN9&P=7

PS: The inner diameter of your wheel hex should be 5mm, not 6mm. same as the axle bearings. Tamiya makes a cheap set out of metal (plastic ones get stuck in your wheels): http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXGE28&P=ML

Wow! Great info thanks alot. Funny, I actually put the anaconda wheel/tirecombo in my wishlist. I like those hexes better, cheaper! The ones I listed came off the hotshot box as required if you use the pinspike tires and wheels. Thanks guys for the great info, off to search for some rims now. Now if theirs any cvds out there that would be awesome or maybe tamiya will make some soon?

Got any other sources for the rims? Ebay has barely anything. Or will pretty much any 2.2 rims work? Imex has some nice rim choices.

If you want to have a decent choice of tires, then 2.2" is your only real option. As long as they have a standard 12mm hex fitting, then they will work on your Hotshot...

Thanks!

Yeah those look like the hex hubs, although mine are plastic and were described as 12mm. I'm guessing 6mm on your link refers to the radius and 12mm on mine is the diameter.

The 6mm is the thickness of the hexes, not the radius. Those are the same as standard Tamiya hexes, 12mm hex, 5mm hole and 6mm thick.

Any wheels designed for a 12mm hex will work, so any buggy rims by Tamiya, Kyosho and Academy will fit straight on. HPI Super Size touring car wheels are also the same size as buggy wheels so there's another option. Standard touring car wheels are too small to clear the suspension.

Be aware that you will want buggy wheels, 2.2" truck wheels (such as those by Imex) will fit on the axles, but the wide offset will make it steering unstable and put extra load on the suspension and steering parts.

BTW the kit oval blocks are so hard they will last considerably longer on tarmac than any modern on road tyre.

No, those are 2.2 inch tyres, the standard wheels are 2 inch. To fit those you need to fit hex drives and a sedt of 2.2" wheels such as those on the Dark Impact.

Those Bandit front and rear wheels use a pin drive instead of the hex. as they use a 5mm axles they will fit over the axle and I would have to say they would fit straight on but can't be definitely sure if enough axle will stick out for the wheel nuts to go fully on the axles.

What a headache! Ok so going to just get the white ones but one last thing for the ones using the anaconda tires, are you using the front tires with the front rims or rears all around?

Thanks alot for everyones help

What a headache! Ok so going to just get the white ones but one last thing for the ones using the anaconda tires, are you using the front tires with the front rims or rears all around?

Thanks alot for everyones help

If you are using the narrow wheels in the front, you would use the narrow tires in the front. If you are using wide wheels all around (which is not a good idea on a Hotshot), you would use wide tires all around.

What I figured, just wanted to make sure the tires will fit ok. I will report back once I get everything, takes awhile to get stuff from hong kong usually.

Thanks guys!

Here is what the Anaconda's look like on Dark Impact wheels (borrowed from Stumblin):

img023.jpg

IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_2857.jpg

IMG_2856.jpg

Bet it hauls with that mamba!

Stumblin's thread about the car says he GPS'ed it at 69.7mph (not kilometers)... B)

Have to go read up on it. thats insane, I have a mamba in my stampede and its crazy fast but a handful to drive, doubt I could see it going near that.