tamiya monkey

What Other Hobbies Or Interests Do We Have

What other hobbies or interests do my fellow tamiyaclub members have, myself i have a keen interest in anything military, mainly raf bases past and present, also ww2 anti invasion defences (pillboxes, tank blocks and bunkers). i research on the net alot and the ones i can get to i take photographs and collect data on there history.

Guest joelvardy

I do have a keen interest in the military.

My brother used to take me mountain biking a lot and I still like doing that, but I don't ride to much now :P

The last year I have taken up skiing and I love it!.. I try to go to indoor slopes when ever I can but when no one will take me (because the back of there legs are still hurting) I go down to the Sheffield ski village - in 2008 it will be getting the awaited re matting which will be good when the work is complete as it is quite a challenge to stay skiing on there for 3 hours with the current stuff!

I might also take snowboarding lessons in 2008...

I love fast electric boats, but can't have too many hobbies, cos it gets pricy.

Would also love to take up archery, but i think i have enough to be getting on with!

I spend a lot of my time writing music which can be downloaded from www.foxholemusic.co.uk

I also write fiction, currently half-way thru my 2nd novel, and hope to start looking for agents / publishers next year

I ride motorbikes (currently have a VTR-1000 Firestorm)

I also like walking, although this time of year I can't do much because it's dark by the time I get home from work :rolleyes:

Snowboarding (off to Tignes at the end of January), Video games (arcade machines, handhelds, etc.), Alternative history (conspiracy theories, etc.), Football (CFC), developing Facebook applications (OK, I've only just started that) and looking after my kids.

Let's see...

I play guitar, and I'm actually not terrible. I played in two bands in college, and I jam with friends whenever we all find time.

My wife got me into singing karaoke; I was nervous at first but now I really enjoy it.

I'm a writer, had a short story published ages ago. Working on a novel right now.

I'm also writing an interactive fiction game. Remember Infocom text games like Zork? Yeah, kinda like that.

And someday when I have a garage to work in, I want to restore/hotrod an old classic pickup truck.

i suppose im a bit boring then!

walking the dog - i do live in one of the most landscaped areas in the uk!

woodwork - i make bespoke wooden furniture for a living, but enjoy making childrens wooden toys when i get spare time!

cleaning, yep cleaning - not in an anal way, just enjoy having a clean and tidy house - but thats not really a hobby is it!

Geez,

Umm yeah Hobbies.. The things that consume my free time, apart from RC.

Flight Simulation.. Yes Microsoft Flight Sim, latest version, Deluxe Edition.

Video Gaming.. I have a PS3

Political History.. Weird I know, but I did a report on the geopolitical history of Afghanistan back in high school and got hooked.

Shinkendo.. Japanese Swordsmanship

Photography.. I hope to one day have one of my photos on the cover of National Geographic magaziene

also I'm a Diesel Fitter by trade, no longer working in trade (got tired of it needed a change)

But I satisfy my mechanical cravings by restoring old Mazda cars.

Geez,

Umm yeah Hobbies.. The things that consume my free time, apart from RC.

Flight Simulation.. Yes Microsoft Flight Sim, latest version, Deluxe Edition.

Video Gaming.. I have a PS3

Political History.. Weird I know, but I did a report on the geopolitical history of Afghanistan back in high school and got hooked.

Shinkendo.. Japanese Swordsmanship

Photography.. I hope to one day have one of my photos on the cover of National Geographic magaziene

also I'm a Diesel Fitter by trade, no longer working in trade (got tired of it needed a change)

But I satisfy my mechanical cravings by restoring old Mazda cars.

Madaz- What's the best Flight sim for just messing about (nice scenery, maybe a shooter, not really fussed!)

Cheers

Ryan

Hmm...

Does a baby count as a hobby :)

Got a wonderful tank collection (early Solido Models - about 100 + transporters, artillery and transport vehicles and also most of the original Corgi ones)

Used to collect Ferrari models (no laughing) but gave up as space is a problem.

Other than that, I used to collect Warhammer 40k miniatures, and am thinking about starting again. Wonder if my hand is steady enough to paint them now. 18 years since I last had any!

Nothing else really, as the little 'un takes all my time now!

Cheers

Steve

I do play Guitar since this year, before I played Piano for a very ling time. But I love the most extreme types of metal music (another hobby), and piano isn't really a type of metal instrument.

Besides that I do speed skating on ice.

Besides that I do speed skating on ice.

I went to an ice rink in bournemouth with my other half- spent most of the time scooting round the outside holding on for dear life and the other half on me bum!

About as gracious as an new born giraffe on drugs. Powerful Drugs. Still it amused the locals!

Madaz- What's the best Flight sim for just messing about (nice scenery, maybe a shooter, not really fussed!)

With Flight Simming you have to be pretty focused on what you want from the outset.

You want a Combat Sim, you've got options,

Moderen Air Combat: F-15, F-22, Su-27 Ect Ect.. 'Give Lock On: Modern Air Combat' (AKA: LO:MAC) a Try..

If your after a historical combat sim. 'IL-2 Sturmovik' Is a great start.

a good place to find reviews on Combat Flight Sims is: http://www.combatsim.com/

If your just after a good Sim to pootle about in a plane flying from London to Manchester, Madrid to Hamburg, Ect ect

You can't go past MS Flight Sim, Now up to version 10, Called Flight Sim X

If you get MSFS go for the Deluxe Edition, More planes to fly, and a few extra doo-dads that make it more enjoyable.

The best thing about MSFS is it's range of Professional and Amateur Add-ons.

More Aircraft, Scenery, Missions, Gagues.

It has been said that MSFS is just a skeleton, and the Add-on are the muscle and skin to hang onto it.

Any other Q's drop me a line.

Aside from r/c cars and buggies, I collect r/c helicopters (www.concept30.co.uk). Continuing the toy theme I like fast Fords and have got an original Sierra RS500 Cosworth (www.rs-500.com) which is my pride and joy. Outside of that, I enjoy mountain biking when I get the chance (did the C2C earlier this year) and also skiing (very convenient given where I now live). I do have a pilots licence, but very little time to fly. Up until August this year I had a share in a Cessna 182 based at Blackpool (Sgt. Barnes knows it well). I have no intention of replacing the C182 but next year I intend to increase on the full-size toy collection with another RS, but this time it won't be a Ford...

That's about your lot...!

...have got an original Sierra RS500 Cosworth (www.rs-500.com) which is my pride and joy....

I'm Jealous :unsure:

myself i have a keen interest in anything military, mainly raf bases past and present, also ww2 anti invasion defences (pillboxes, tank blocks and bunkers). i research on the net alot and the ones i can get to i take photographs and collect data on there history.

Thats sounds interesting. I guess I'm a bit of a military buff, too. I read anything I can get my hands on about Cold War submarine espionage, and I like reading about military aviation, mainly jet-age and forward (my favorite aircraft is the F-4 Phantom). I'm also starting to learn more about modern assault rifles because I started playing airsoft, my favorite battle rifle being the Steyr AUG (the U.S. military needs a new rifle, kudos to the UK for developing the bullpup L85).

I follow MLB baseball in the summer (Boston Red Sox) and NFL football in the winter (St. Louis Rams).

I also started playing paintball last summer; I use a Piranha EVO SE and favor speedball over woodsball.

I, too mountain bike, but I work at a rather ghetto bike shop one night a week, and thereby get all my gear used and FREE! I ride a 10-year-old Trek 950 Singletrack, with the only original component being the front rim, everything else has been upgraded.

Golf is my first interest. Play every week and currently have a handicap of 10.

Dont really have that much time for anything else

ahh, that made an interesting read. a litle insight into other r/c'ers lives.

i'm just starting down the r/c route, i've always wanted one, a tamiya that is since being a kid when they used to seel them in my local petrol station, like a shop within a shop?!?

my skateboarding legs are all but gone, but they've just built a sweet bowl right near me so i dabble on the odd occasion.

mountain biking is my thing, i've just converted over to single speed from a fully geared hard tail, and man, it makes so much sense. hard work though. :)

i ride once or twice a week, mostly single track with as little road as possible, sheffield, chesterfield, and the peak district are my playgrounds.

video games suck me in quite alot, i like killing things. lol

then there is my mk1 golf / rolling project, now a 1.8 carb, lowered (although not enough, yet) on 7j ATS classics. thats my entire life budget before i think about anything else.

adn i just bought a mk1 polo too! lord help me!!!

...and seeing as we had a bit of a war theme, i like all things related to WWII, films, places, literature - especially true life stories.

cheers

ash.

then there is my mk1 golf / rolling project, now a 1.8 carb, lowered (although not enough, yet) on 7j ATS classics. thats my entire life budget before i think about anything else.

adn i just bought a mk1 polo too! lord help me!!!

...and seeing as we had a bit of a war theme, i like all things related to WWII, films, places, literature - especially true life stories.

cheers

ash.

Nice to see another Volkswagen enthusiast on here!

I just recently got back into the R/C hobby - mainly because of my real car and I stumbled upon a Tamiya that was quite similar, so I bought it. I've been reading a bit on here the last few days and promptly joined up.

My other hobby is my 1992 Volkswagen Golf MkIII GT Special. 90hp on a 1.8 engine, lowered, dual round headlights, ABT frontgrille, polished 7x15 ATS Cup.

Apart from that I have a big interest in real car wheels and I'm just itching to pick up another set for my car... maybe one I can refurbish over the winter! Maybe some Ronal Turbos or something...

Cars and motorcycling are my two other hobbies (and does a fiance count?! lol) Here is me on my bike at a Donington Park trackday in October its a 2006 Kawasaki Z750S - it has a Remus Powercone exhaust, Powercommander and a K&N

ontrack.jpg

I also have a 1988 E30 325i Touring which is my other pride and joy! :) Its lowered 40mm over 7x15 Mim 1900 wheels.

side.jpg

To bring this up.

since I am sort of in a waiting point for parts in terms of rc.

I dug out my old Nintendos and found out I have a small collection that I totally forgot about.

Today I cleaned and tested these.

s2rrP5Z.jpg

My cousin had the first Gameboy and I never had it. For me it all started with the release of Pokemon Blue and Red for the Gameboy, in 1997 when it also got on TV in Germany back then. 
Also I would like to notice a first touch with video games was made with a tamagotchi device. 
While the Pokemon hype in 1997-99 I also had this. A Pokemon tamagotchi with Pikachu. I like how it looks like a Gameboy with its buttons.

it counts steps and is hungry and wants to play from time to time and also goes to sleep and wakes up. Nice little device for a child. Other games seem lost.

Rww5hYB.jpg

tomorrow I will dig out my Nintendo 64 Pokemon edition, and find a way to clean this black scribbling. I had a peak at the nintendo, the box has some signs of aging but inside it looks more then clean, also found out I had a emulator type of thing to plug into the joystick of the N64 and you could update pokemon gameboy games with pokemon n64 games, like pokemon aren and pokemon snap. Its good for something other also like zelda I think... not sure anymore. 

I also have a old ps1 but I noticed the Nintendo gear gets more nostalgic value as Sony? Am I right? 
any of you have these?
I find they are nice collectibles for who had it as a child back then or has it bought for his child.

Mine are all still working and they were all bought new back in the day as they came out.

The original Gameboy and the Color were available, I spend lots of time on it as it was very popular to its time. After the hype went down they came out with the Gameboy Advance that had a different design as the usual gameboys and a wider screen, giving the option to stretch the image of a Gameboy game to new width. It looked a lot like the Digimon device that was a popular tv show next to pokemon. 
The design of the games itself changed they were shorter but same width, the new gameboys could accept older games by having them stick out. After probably some research they made the Gameboy Advance SP making it fold and having a screen light. Light was a big issue then. Also with the SP thw volume button is no longer a wheel to turn but rather a slider button. 
I would like if somebody could say more or point out a website with more technical informations from that time, how the technology evolved quickly in 95-00 and onwards. :D 

Looking to maybe buy some games especially if the N64 is working. 

• Like 1

Besides RC I'm a casual gamer on my Xbox One, recently subscribed to gamepass and downloaded a few new games.

Also got a new camera some time ago, want to do more with it, so I'm reading a lot on tips and tricks to get better in photography, nothing serious so far.

Maybe will look into posting some of those photo's online sometime.

• Like 1