Sign in to follow this  
Tamiya_addict

Dt-02 Ms Setup

In my wild erratic fancy, visions came to of a competent RWD Tamiya buggy. I splashed out on the new DT-02 MS. Lots of plastic and no slipper clutch - but it's the closest we have currently from Mr T without going to an RB5 Ultima or US product.

As usual, I discovered after purchasing that the kit, it doesn't come with tyres.

Can anyone recommend a good tyre choice for this chassis? Should I just go with the MS setup of ribbed on the front and DF-03 on the back?

Also wondering about motor and pinion choice. I don't want to race, but I do want a quick car, with the speed matched to the handling capacity. I was thinking of a BZ motor (23T). What pinion would suit? I believe the DT-02 manual recommends no higher than a sport tuned, and with no slipper clutch, a fast motor could be a handling problem.

I wonder if someone will engineer a homemade slipper for this chassis.

Cheers,

Mike

In my wild erratic fancy, visions came to of a competent RWD Tamiya buggy. I splashed out on the new DT-02 MS. Lots of plastic and no slipper clutch - but it's the closest we have currently from Mr T without going to an RB5 Ultima or US product.

As usual, I discovered after purchasing that the kit, it doesn't come with tyres.

Can anyone recommend a good tyre choice for this chassis? Should I just go with the MS setup of ribbed on the front and DF-03 on the back?

Also wondering about motor and pinion choice. I don't want to race, but I do want a quick car, with the speed matched to the handling capacity. I was thinking of a BZ motor (23T). What pinion would suit? I believe the DT-02 manual recommends no higher than a sport tuned, and with no slipper clutch, a fast motor could be a handling problem.

I wonder if someone will engineer a homemade slipper for this chassis.

Cheers,

Mike

Dont really know what surface you are running on but the Tamiya circut here in Japan is a little dusty and dosent have a blue groove or anything like that. But most of the guys run the Optional tires for the DF03 on the rear and the Super Fighter G tires and wheels on the front.

About the motor for Tamiya races the Dirt tuned motor is what is ran in the 2WD class, Sorry cant help you on pinions.

I thought about getting one of these but the races for these are limited a bit here. Nice car though. Pretty good deal when you add up the options.

Also wondering about motor and pinion choice. I don't want to race, but I do want a quick car, with the speed matched to the handling capacity. I was thinking of a BZ motor (23T). What pinion would suit? I believe the DT-02 manual recommends no higher than a sport tuned, and with no slipper clutch, a fast motor could be a handling problem

Stick a Mamba Max in it mate and be done with it :)

Run what ever motor you want. Get a 19T and leave the stock pinion on.. You should have the speed you want and use 'bakaguyjean' setup on tires because I have never ran this, not to mention seen a DT-02 run in person..

I have a DT-02 Sand Viper myself. Which i have added the df03 shocks, a 23t bz motor, ball diff and think thats it.

It does need a slipper clutch, so lets hope tamiya decide to make one for it.

I havent had chance to take mine out for a thrash yet.

I have the standard super gripper tyres on the rear and the grooved on the front.

Er, you could use Proline Holeshot M3 rear tyres, they're quite soft and grippy.

To go one better you could mount them on Proline Velocity RC10 B4 rear wheels, which you could then bolt on to a B4 rear end which you could mount to a B4 chassis and front end. Sorted, one perfect DT-02. Oops, thats not what you meant is it?

Sorry mate, been there done that and its hard to justify chucking cash at a DT-02 when you can get a new B4 for 115 or a decent used one for about 70-80.

I have The new DT-02 MS as well as a AE B4. I run the B4 in stock buggy class and I use the new MS for mod buggy. I use Proline Holeshot M3 tires on the rear and proline 4 rib's on the front. I have the original Novak SS-5800 Brushless system in it. It is an awesome car. With the brushless motor I can pull wheelies on any surface! On high traction surfaces I can pull a wheelie from a roll! The shock's on the DT-02 MS are top notch. I run 35wt oil in the front and 30wt in the rear. I agree to be taken serious it should have a slipper clutch, but my throttle controll is in my finger. As far as the transmission goes, it's like any Tamiya, It's bullet proof! I hope these tip's help. Steve