driftking_v8

What Motor

Let's try this one more time, because I'm bored and I have the time:

An HPI Sprint 2, straight out of the box with the included motor and ESC, probably goes around 25mph. With a little tuning (and by the way, "tuning" does NOT mean "bolting on a bunch of shiny junk"), you can probably add 5mph to that.

And that's about the best you can realistically do with that, or any other inexpensive touring car.

If you really want to go 60mph reliably with an electric RC car, you'll need several thousand dollars worth of equipment, and enough knowledge, skill, and wisdom to use the high-level stuff properly. You'll need to understand, at a bare minimum, chassis tuning, gearing, aerodynamics, and electronics well enough to not need to ask which specific stuff to buy. You'll need to know precisely how each change you make to the car affects its driving. And your driving skill will have to be superb. I mean, able to compete in major races. If you're not "the fast guy" at your local track, you're not a good enough driver to handle a car going that fast.

You'll need a top-of-the-line radio, and know how to use every setting on it. You'll need extensive knowledge of battery tech, and the best batteries and chargers you can get. You'll need a programmable ESC, and knowledge of how to program it. You'll need to test different bodies for aerodynamic characteristics, and choose the one that's the lowest drag and the most stable, not the one you think looks the coolest. You'll need to understand motor technology well enough to know why certain winds/turns are used in certain circumstances, so you'll be able to choose the right motor to reach your goal, instead of just grabbing the "fastest" one on the shelf.

Then you'll take the car to the biggest open space you can find, and test and test and test some more, trying different tires, gearing, spoiler angles, suspension settings, and all sorts of other variables, changing one thing at a time and taking pages and pages of notes so you know wat did what, and you can go back to an earlier setting if you mess up. And occasionally you'll wreck, because everyone does, and you'll have to repair the car or replace things that wear out, because the wear and tear on the components at those speeds is unbelievable. You'll go through tires like mad. You'll hit a slight dip in the pavement you didn't see and the car will flip over and your heart will skip as you watch parts go flying off it. And the next day, after you've repaired it, you'll be back out there again, chasing after your goal.

And when you finally see that speed on the radar gun, you'll take a photo of the reading, and you'll video the run and post it here or somewhere else, and you'll have a real sense of accomplishment.

If that's what you want to do, then that's awesome. I'd do it if I had time and money. But that's what it is going to take.

Totally agree with you on this. In my case I sold a shedload of nitro gear I didn't use and went out and bought a 7.5 turn brushless race motor and speedo for my RC10 B4 at a cost of 200. I then spent another 135 on a 4900mah lipo and charger. All because I was running what I perceived to be a slow set up beforehand, in my case a stock Tamiya Sport Tuned motor and a TEU 101 speedo powered by a 3600mah Nicad stick pack. Consequently, as a result of all this money being spent my lap times went from 25.5 secs (before) to 31.3 secs (after). Thats right, I was way slower as the car became much much much less forgiving to drive. It is going to take me lots of practice to get back to where I was before let alone improve as I admit that I have tried to sprint before I could walk. As an interim I have now dropped back to a 10.5 turn set up and it now feels a bit more manageable. So I heartily agree with all those members who have advised making your way to the silly speed setup in small steps. Personally, I'd think that once you get much past a Stock RZ motor in a TT-01 you'd be better off looking at something like a Schumacher Mi3, or even a secondhand Mi2 or Mi2EC (oh yeah I've got one of those too, and its a peach with the ex-RC10 Sport Tuned setup I can tell you).

It's a long while since i posted here but I have a new motor !!!\

A 17 turn motor so i thought I need a new ESC but no ,the standard could handle the speed

I only need a new shaft gear thing because It sprins .

maybe I need more hop ups ??

plz reply \

TY Driftking

Let's try this one more time, because I'm bored and I have the time:

An HPI Sprint 2, straight out of the box with the included motor and ESC, probably goes around 25mph. With a little tuning (and by the way, "tuning" does NOT mean "bolting on a bunch of shiny junk"), you can probably add 5mph to that.

And that's about the best you can realistically do with that, or any other inexpensive touring car.

If you really want to go 60mph reliably with an electric RC car, you'll need several thousand dollars worth of equipment, and enough knowledge, skill, and wisdom to use the high-level stuff properly. You'll need to understand, at a bare minimum, chassis tuning, gearing, aerodynamics, and electronics well enough to not need to ask which specific stuff to buy. You'll need to know precisely how each change you make to the car affects its driving. And your driving skill will have to be superb. I mean, able to compete in major races. If you're not "the fast guy" at your local track, you're not a good enough driver to handle a car going that fast.

You'll need a top-of-the-line radio, and know how to use every setting on it. You'll need extensive knowledge of battery tech, and the best batteries and chargers you can get. You'll need a programmable ESC, and knowledge of how to program it. You'll need to test different bodies for aerodynamic characteristics, and choose the one that's the lowest drag and the most stable, not the one you think looks the coolest. You'll need to understand motor technology well enough to know why certain winds/turns are used in certain circumstances, so you'll be able to choose the right motor to reach your goal, instead of just grabbing the "fastest" one on the shelf.

Then you'll take the car to the biggest open space you can find, and test and test and test some more, trying different tires, gearing, spoiler angles, suspension settings, and all sorts of other variables, changing one thing at a time and taking pages and pages of notes so you know wat did what, and you can go back to an earlier setting if you mess up. And occasionally you'll wreck, because everyone does, and you'll have to repair the car or replace things that wear out, because the wear and tear on the components at those speeds is unbelievable. You'll go through tires like mad. You'll hit a slight dip in the pavement you didn't see and the car will flip over and your heart will skip as you watch parts go flying off it. And the next day, after you've repaired it, you'll be back out there again, chasing after your goal.

And when you finally see that speed on the radar gun, you'll take a photo of the reading, and you'll video the run and post it here or somewhere else, and you'll have a real sense of accomplishment.

If that's what you want to do, then that's awesome. I'd do it if I had time and money. But that's what it is going to take.

I don't think so I've got a motor for 27 dollar and a new shaft gear for 10 dollar = 37 dollar ( much ????) I't drives great

Your ESC doesn't stand a chance with that motor, it can't handle anything more than a Sport Tuned.

You'll need an unlimited ESC (and a good one at that) to make best use of an 8 turn motor, along with high quality race packs which can deliver the current required for that motor.

he handles my 17 turns now so......

I love the esc..