Guest joelvardy

Stupid Injurious

Guest joelvardy

All those times when you are told that you will slip and cut yourself and you are really cocky and carry on then before you know it you are patched up. The thing that made me think of this was what I had just done. I am working on a battered model and needed a rough aerial for it so I decided that a carbon fiber rod was the right size and would look cool if I snapped it. So with quite a lot of force (those things are tough.) I snapped it - getting splinters of carbon fiber in my had during the process. I have just managed to get them out but they are like glass wool strands. :unsure:

I would love to hear some of your stories.

Regards, Joel

Hehe- Well i asked my other half to hold something i was trying to solder- I meant with pliers, not by hand!!

Guest joelvardy
Hehe- Well i asked my other half to hold something i was trying to solder- I meant with pliers, not by hand!!

HaHa... I have had a few soldering mess ups guess the worst one was when I was using a soldering gun... don't know if you know the sort really powerful and heat a lot quicker than normal ones...

Well on a normal one in 10 secs it wouldn't be warm... It sure was on a heat gun :unsure:

I'm sure you'll all get a giggle out of this:

I would have been about 16 years old at the time,

Cruising the neighborhood on my bicycle, I noticed a very attractive young lady.

Me being 16 and all, I took a look, a good hard look.

and ended up crashing my bike into a telegraph pole.

Guest joelvardy

Bet she fell right for you lmao.

I'm sure you'll all get a giggle out of this:

I would have been about 16 years old at the time,

Cruising the neighborhood on my bicycle, I noticed a very attractive young lady.

Me being 16 and all, I took a look, a good hard look.

and ended up crashing my bike into a telegraph pole.

LMAO, i did a smiliar thing and ended up smashing my front tooth, had to have a cap at 15 yrs old, lol. Sucks to be a young easily led guy eh!!

Guest joelvardy

beat you on that... my tooth has been capped from the age of 13 I went into the front of a car! Riding my m8's old bike and the brake cable snapped and I went into a car :angry: ..... live and learn

LMAO, i did a smiliar thing and ended up smashing my front tooth, had to have a cap at 15 yrs old, lol. Sucks to be a young easily led guy eh!!

haha LOLZ if you're running first in a cup ( like I did for a while)

and in the last round the motor half explodes :unsure:

at work i was spray finishing a wardrobe, mixed the paint and thinners into a lidded pot, shook the pot........

but didn't put the lid on

- one hospital visit and eye wash later = valuable lesson learnt! (let the apprentice mix the paint!)

When I was about 10 I was racing a mate down a path on my mountain bike, I went to overtake him hit a big rock in the middle of the path and I flew head first into a slate bank. I got taken to the local A&E had to have 6 stiches in my face. It was awsome.

When my brother was 11 he went ice skating with school and nocked both of his front teeth. It took the NHS 9 years to sort him out properly.

Tupers

Guest joelvardy

Never been to A&E so that is something to be thankful of..... well not YET

Never been to A&E so that is something to be thankful of..... well not YET

You either live a boring life, or are just incredibly lucky

Guest joelvardy
You either live a boring life, or are just incredibly lucky

I wouldn't say my life is boring... I do hurt myself a lot... But I don't go crying to mommy :)

I wouldn't say my life is boring... I do hurt myself a lot... But I don't go crying to mommy :)

if you have to go to casualty its normally a bit more serious than something mummy can fix!

my best injury was when i was machine planing timber, a piece broke in half - pulling my left thumb into the blades and flicking the bit of wood out backwards.

the thumb skin was detached from the nail and kind of flapped open showing the end of the bone, and the bit of wood took the top off a finger on the other hand!

you try ringing the wife for a lift to hospital with blood pooring from both hands!

you try ringing the wife for a lift to hospital with blood pooring from both hands!

mmm graffic!

Guest joelvardy

Now you put it like that my life dose seem boring

I hate screwdrivers!!! Especially posi-drivers.

I was trying to take a screw, that had stripped it threads, from a suspension wishbone. Part in left hand, screwdriver in right, I put some huge pressure on it and it slipped. The driver went through two of my fingers!!!!

Like an idiot, the shock of it scared me and I immediately yanked it out. the pain was intolerable!!!! :)

I learn all of my lessons the hard way. :blink:

Daftest injuries were probably at Scouts when I was younger.

One was during a scout camp, when I'd been told to go chop some kindling. Earlier that day we'd had lessons on how to use a hand-axe safely and how to chop kindling, so I obeyed the rules and was doing fine. Until I got to the really narrow bits. Now, the technical way, is to hold the wood against the blade, and then bring blade and wood down together on the chopping block. Well, I did this. And it hit the block nice and hard. And the blade bounced off the wood and came down on my thumb.

No long-term damage, but I had to wear a tubigauze for a week.

The previous year I did a similar thing cutting ferns with my new penknife.

Then there was the time I broke the bone in the base of my thumb. We had a piece of rolled-up carpet on the end of a rope, and someone would stand and swing the carpet around in a big circle. Then us scouts would line up outside and jump over the carpet as it swung round. And so they'd gradually swing it higher and higher, until we all fell over. Well, on this particular fateful day, I misjudged the jump and the rope caught on my leg. The carpet swung around, came upwards and BANG! right into my hand.

That stung for a while.

I also had a lovely burn mark for a few weeks after I accidentally picked up my RDX racer by the chassis, and caught the back of my finger on the motor... At the time we'd been running a very twisty track and I was running a very tall pinion, so the motor was nasty-warm...

Re-fitting a loose HT lead on my Peugeot 205 while the engine was running. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZAP. Proper hurt. Felt my like someone had hit my arm with a cricket bat.

BTW I have a capped front tooth from riding into a car at 14. lol. Common issue it would seem.

Well, I can report the freshest injury on here...

Just yesterday evening, I finally got around to swtching all my cars and batteries to Deans connectors. I got through doing the female halves on the batteries without incident, and then went on to the male halves. I did the positive pin on the first one, then grabbed the connector to re-position the wire to do the negative pin.

Unfortunately, the connector wasn't cool enoguh to touch yet. :lol:

I now have a nice little blister on the tip of my right index ringer.

I've fallen off ladders, zapped myself with house current, stabbed myself with a utility knife trying to strip wiring, dropped a filing cabinet on my foot, burned my arm on a Chevy Suburban exhaust manifold (ten years later and I still have the scar), and burned/cut/smashed my fingers countless times. And it's not that I'm accident-prone or unsafe; I just do everything myself, and if you do that, you're bound to get banged up here and there, even when you're being careful. It just goes with the territory.

Well, I can report the freshest injury on here...

Just yesterday evening, I finally got around to swtching all my cars and batteries to Deans connectors. I got through doing the female halves on the batteries without incident, and then went on to the male halves. I did the positive pin on the first one, then grabbed the connector to re-position the wire to do the negative pin.

Unfortunately, the connector wasn't cool enoguh to touch yet. :lol:

I now have a nice little blister on the tip of my right index ringer.

I've fallen off ladders, zapped myself with house current, stabbed myself with a utility knife trying to strip wiring, dropped a filing cabinet on my foot, burned my arm on a Chevy Suburban exhaust manifold (ten years later and I still have the scar), and burned/cut/smashed my fingers countless times. And it's not that I'm accident-prone or unsafe; I just do everything myself, and if you do that, you're bound to get banged up here and there, even when you're being careful. It just goes with the territory.

lol, i agree, if your handy and do things your going to get a little cut or burn here and there. I've also discovered that if your doing a project and dont bleed you've not done it well, lol

As a Trade Qualified Diesel Fitter, and part time builder of 1:1 Performance Car engines.

My hands and arms are an In-Enviable collection of scars.

Solder Burns from Wiring.

Cuts from Utility Knives

Scratches from the sharp edges of cut-off Cable Ties/Zip Clips

Even chunks missing from my arm after catching it between a 15ton truck's chassis and a 45lb (approx 20kg) Hydraulic Pump,

while trying to remove said pump for an overhaul.

Perhaps I could even go on to mention the broken bones I've had in my hands from working.

So I guess it would come as no surprise that I don't work in my trade any more.

That and I decided to become prosperously lazy :lol:

Sorry to bump this, but I thought I'd add my latest...

I managed to give myself two whacking great blisters on my thumb and finger while trying to remove tyres that were super glued (with way too much) onto some rims.

In the end, the tyres were shredded, the rims got deformed from too much heat and I got the blisters (from the heat I guess - I didn;t notice them at the time). Really not very successful....

:D;)

Yestarday I accidently touched a hot metal griller.

Back in 2006 I fell about 10 feet onto my left arm while skateboarding on a 13ft half pipe, I still have troubles with my left shoulder ;)