Sign in to follow this  
Dr.AK

My First Tamiya Since Three Years...

Hey guys,

just wanted to introduce myself a bit.

I'm 18 and from Germany. I'm a big car nut and always was fascinated by R/C cars... I bought a used TA02 (Mercedes C-Class DTM) when I was 13 and sold it about a year later.

Just a week ago I got back into R/C... I now own a real car and am very much in love with that. It's a '92 Volkswagen Golf MkIII and recently I stumbled upon a used FF01 with a Golf MkIII bodyshell on ebay. Seeing how the shell was painted in a similar color to my real car, I just had to buy it.

The car arrived about a week ago and I'm a bit dissappointed. The seller claimed the shell was - apart from some minor scratches in the front - in very good condition.

In reality it has a crack in the front, paint flaking of in some places, missing decals (though, there was a complete decal sheet included... still) and stuff. Maybe I'll keep it for bashing around or I'll try to restore it.

Anyway, I've already been bitten by the bug again - I'm watching two new Golf MkIII bodyshells on ebay right now and I fully intend to get both of them.

Also I want to get a second FF01 to bash around in, this one has a surprisingly good condition in comparison to the shell. I want to refurbish it into a shelf queen.

Depending on how things work, maybe I'll throw up a full documentation of what I'll do about the chassis in this thread.

Anyway, here are some pics of my new FF01 along with my real car (sadly a bit dirty and in wintermode... urgh, can't wait for summer).

minime1wvi.jpg

minime2xra.jpg

minime3sul.jpg

minime43vd.jpg

minime5q43.jpg

minime6tqa.jpg

minime7ptc.jpg

chassis1y25.jpg

This is the FF01's big brother in it's summer mode:

1o7tgw.jpg

Sorry for the many pics, I'm just a small picture whore at heart. :blink::D

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself a bit and say "Hi" to you guys. :)

I'm looking forward to good times with you guys...

Well firslty welcome to TC and may your stay be long and fun, except for your wallet :blink:

That is a very clean FF01 and indeed the shell has suffered a bit, Main reason for this is that the FF01 there doesnt have a front foam bumper which will absorb impacts and stop the shell taking all the force making it crack as its forced back beyonds its elastic limits in an acident.

Easiest way to solve this is to get some foam and servotape/velcro it on the chassis at the front or into the shell, please only do one otherwise getting the shell off could be tricky.

You might also want to ask for xtra pictures from seller if your ever not sure, I do this sometimes and if they come bck good i will bid, if they dont send more pics then they are probs hidding something like the frontal damage.

have you run the car yet?

Regards Ryck

Hi and welcome- I really like your Golf, I always thought 3 doors look better than 5 (not just golf, but pretty much everything!)

Well firslty welcome to TC and may your stay be long and fun, except for your wallet :o

That is a very clean FF01 and indeed the shell has suffered a bit, Main reason for this is that the FF01 there doesnt have a front foam bumper which will absorb impacts and stop the shell taking all the force making it crack as its forced back beyonds its elastic limits in an acident.

Easiest way to solve this is to get some foam and servotape/velcro it on the chassis at the front or into the shell, please only do one otherwise getting the shell off could be tricky.

You might also want to ask for xtra pictures from seller if your ever not sure, I do this sometimes and if they come bck good i will bid, if they dont send more pics then they are probs hidding something like the frontal damage.

have you run the car yet?

Regards Ryck

Haha, my wallet's used to torture, so it can't complain any more! :D

I think I'll try that idea with the foam, sounds logical. :blink:

Haven't had the chance to run it yet, as I'm missing a charger and due to work I didn't have the time to pick one up yet. :D

Next week I'll have some time finally.

Thanks. :)

And thank you as well, ryanbored :D

Guest joelvardy

Welcome to TC.. That's a nice FF-01. As WRC said very clean... but for how long :blink:

I am sure someone will be able to help you here if you ever get a problem.

Welcome,

Nice looking V-DUB (1:1), that model was never available in the U.S. unfortunately..

Nice RC car bud,the last Tamiya RC model I built was the 1/12 scale Hummer,but it's no ordinary Hummer,I did some McGyvering on it.