backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

I'm hoping to start practising on a Mad Bull hard shell today. I'm following auto air info on hard plastics and using an automotive adhesion promoter in lieu of primer. It's much thinner so you don't lose detail. No idea if it'll be any good. I've been putting it off as this is so unfamiliar. I will then be using part white and black base coat on different areas of the shell, before shooting the spark blue which will be a practice run for my Bruiser body to see if I prefer the blue lighter or darker.

I too wanted a one stop solution and they have a great colour range. I also have a few createx wicked colours. What size nozzle are you using, due to the chips, they reckon 0.5mm is as small as you want to go with the Auto air. I'm using a 0.5mm with fan pattern. I have a couple of lexan shells to do, just wasn't sure on what to back them with to make them water resistant!

soo from the looks of it, Woodstock is now the designated body shell painter for those of us who have no skill? :)

• Like 1

Have you tried Halfords hard plastic primer ? Its great on Tamiya hard shells and as far as i know fully compatible with all automotive paint systems . might be less hassle for the first base coat than having to use a adhesion promoter

• Like 1

Have you tried Halfords hard plastic primer ? Its great on Tamiya hard shells and as far as i know fully compatible with all automotive paint systems . might be less hassle for the first base coat than having to use a adhesion promoter

Another vote for halfords plastic primer here. Used on my lunchie, monster beetle and some arcade machine plastics...

• Like 1

soo from the looks of it, Woodstock is now the designated body shell painter for those of us who have no skill? :)

Sounds like a great plan :D ... :lol:

Sounds like a great plan :D ... :lol:

Gets my vote too!

You haven't seem the rear wing of my Boomer I have just fudged...

Just getting used to the new media, the roll cage I have just done is spot on and air brush cleaner makes for a great non harmful way of neatly getting rid of any tiny bleeds you can sometimes get.

Don't worry lads I'm getting my airbrushing head back again. Once I have it down again I'll do a full report! :)

• Like 2

I used halfords primer on my son's Mad Bull shell and Halfords automotive paint. Works great.

As it turns out, the adhesion promoter is absolutely spot on for Styrene. It's a lot thinner than primer too so you don't loose any intricate detail if that's important. It kind of etches the plastic, I didn't get any pics unfortunately but I will when I do the Bruiser shell. I've loaded some pics of how I got on in the "what did you do today thread" using the Createx Auto air paints.

Cheers

Nito

Not my picture, but one of these -

DSC01698.jpg

I was thinking of painting the standard pogo-stick shock absorbers in gold to match the exhaust trims (which also need to be painted) but I wasn't sure how durable it would be?

• Like 1

If you paint the caps, they should stay looking pretty until your first rollover. Painting the bodies would only really work on a shelfer as the springs would start wearing away at the paint as soon as the suspension starts to articulate.

Not my picture, but one of these -

Posted Image

I was thinking of painting the standard pogo-stick shock absorbers in gold to match the exhaust trims (which also need to be painted) but I wasn't sure how durable it would be?

If you wanted blue to go with the writing on the side I have quite a few sets kicking about. I found the DT-03 CVA's (dirt cheap from Banzai) and the Hop- up soft springs work very well.

Posted Image

BoomRacing Boomerang shocks, look very cool but are a pile of poo. No oil, no friction, just springy.

They might find a quick EBay turnaround

• Like 1

Shame, they look nice. So you're planning a 4ws WR/WT01??

Sort of. It will be a custom SWB one if I can pull it off

I was thinking before I read your comment, those boomerang shocks look good. I see you've got the heavy duty shafts and alloy servo mounts. Nice!

I was thinking before I read your comment, those boomerang shocks look good. I see you've got the heavy duty shafts and alloy servo mounts. Nice!

I might have been a bit harsh. I have oiled up the shafts ( now that's not

something I thought I would write today) and they are a lot freer and smoother now. I think they can hold oil as well, they just don't come with any, I am guessing because it would push the price higher. I have some light motorcycle fork oil in the garage so I will fill one and see.

• Like 1

8e433bb59ee3d6750762b23fd154a496.jpg

BoomRacing Boomerang shocks, look very cool but are a pile of poo. No oil, no friction, just springy.

They might find a quick EBay turnaround

Are they not internal spring shocks? ... if so you can still fill them with oil... bit like the Gmade Internal sprung shocks for rock crawling, springs on the inside but you still use shock oil..

If you wanted blue to go with the writing on the side I have quite a few sets kicking about. I found the DT-03 CVA's (dirt cheap from Banzai) and the Hop- up soft springs work very well.

Blue CVA's? Or blue pogo sticks?

I considered the hop-up springs but they just got kicked out of my basket to bring my order total to £25. I'm trying to keep this a budget runner! It's not working out that way...

Took delivery of a complete set of Fire Dragon/Thunder Shot/Thunder Dragon wheels:

wvx4c1.jpg

All I know now is that they will soon be Avante wheels ;)

• Like 3

Blue CVA's? Or blue pogo sticks?

I considered the hop-up springs but they just got kicked out of my basket to bring my order total to £25. I'm trying to keep this a budget runner! It's not working out that way...

Pogo sticks. I have only ever had black CVA's:-(

Deliveries from all over the world.

From Tamico in Germany the Toyota Celica GT-Four 1990 with TT01 chassis. Last week it was on sale for 88 EUR and I couldn't resist the temptation.

16469031166_c60feafb4e_c.jpg

Then from China a wonderful set of short socket drivers

16469032506_b3c4f81ea4_c.jpg

And finally from Hong Kong

15872481464_16976f73f8_c.jpg

There are more things on the way

• Like 4

Although it was expensive I now have the necessary parts to get my Monster Beetle basher back on the dirt - J parts + E parts from the USA and G1 metal cross brace from the UK. I was going to sell the kit as a parts car but I got so little for my shelf queen Beetle I would rather fix up and run this one. Now I just need some paint and a baja sticker scheme :)

IMG_1665_zpsv7yzklsv.jpg