backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

Finally I can join the MF-01X Owners Club! I unwrapped my birthday presents today, which included a Jimny kit from my wonderful wife, along with all the gubbins required to build it. Yay!!

DSC05146_zpsuafnoru5.jpg

Under the wrapping paper I found the kit itself, a pair of Super Mini CVA shock packs, a steel pinion, a rubber-sealed bearing set, a waterproof Spektrum RX, a waterproof ballraced Alturn servo, a waterproof Mtroniks ESC, a set of metal wheel hexes, some AW grease to slow the diff action, a bag of long ball connectors for which I have a cunning plan to try to sort out the car's asymmetrical rear suspension travel, a set of black M-05RA F-parts to replace the unsightly red ones supplied in the kit, and finally a set of scale GB license plates that according to DVLA records are registered to a fullsize Jimny.

It is great having a partner who is also into the hobby - she knows just what to order! :)

• Like 9

Finally I can join the MF-01X Owners Club! I unwrapped my birthday presents today, which included a Jimny kit from my wonderful wife, along with all the gubbins required to build it. Yay!!

DSC05146_zpsuafnoru5.jpg

Under the wrapping paper I found the kit itself, a pair of Super Mini CVA shock packs, a steel pinion, a rubber-sealed bearing set, a waterproof Spektrum RX, a waterproof ballraced Alturn servo, a waterproof Mtroniks ESC, a set of metal wheel hexes, some AW grease to slow the diff action, a bag of long ball connectors for which I have a cunning plan to try to sort out the car's asymmetrical rear suspension travel, a set of black M-05RA F-parts to replace the unsightly red ones supplied in the kit, and finally a set of scale GB license plates that according to DVLA records are registered to a fullsize Jimny.

It is great having a partner who is also into the hobby - she knows just what to order! :)

Happy birthday XV.. I was gonna say did you pick it out yourself. THEN YOU Said Your partner was into the hobby, well done her! Mine asks so what did I buy you from the hobby shop.. lol
  • Like 1

Happy birthday XV.. I was gonna say did you pick it out yourself. THEN YOU Said Your partner was into the hobby, well done her! Mine asks so what did I buy you from the hobby shop.. lol

We are quite fortunate in our household in that my wife and I share our three main hobbies - RC, music and gaming. We regularly talk about our hobby plans at length, so come Christmas and birthdays, we are never short of ideas. :D

• Like 1

My wife and I are totally opposite - which is great otherwise she'd steal my parts, paints and glue :)

I'll admit that has happened, but it does mean there are no objections when it comes to ordering replacements. :D

EA4CEEC2-41C9-40FD-ABCD-E62D66E5B49D_zps

I got this from a work colleague, It's a ready built minus the electrics. Not sure if it's a keeper or not yet

• Like 2

Just arrived from Stella...

DB01-RRR_00002_zpsrkxog5nu.jpg

DB01-RRR_00007_zpsxz6vwz0o.jpg

A little correction...

DB01-RRR_00010_zpsycj7kmvd.jpg

but unfortunately even a measly sticker to identify the model once assembled. :o:o

• Like 4

Well not Tamiya, but at least from Japan :) Picked up a new car for the wife today.

1_zpslob7trjc.jpg2_zpsv8agu8cu.jpg

• Like 1

89631698fe0dafaac09c21b0a78fdd90.jpg

I can crack on with one project and be happy with another now :-)

• Like 1

From Seidel and Tamico:

goodies-sep1-15.jpg

Stadium Thunder from the £68 Tamico deal last week. Bodies are 934 RSR, 911 GT2, 2008 Impreza WRC, BMW GT2, Nissan GT-R and Peugeot 306.

Impreza static kit, will be my first static model in about 25 years. Looks tricky!

• Like 3

Got these books today, will be interesting to read once ingen the time.

2015-09-01%2023.30.53_zpsfe5mbw7z.jpg

• Like 4

Received this today;

Hot Racing Bruiser steering arm

med_gallery_28308_3720_624778.jpg

Stock one by comparison

med_gallery_28308_3720_199269.jpg

It comes assembled with a lovely smooth bearing, it's one of a few parts of the build that is normally plastic. The Bruiser deserves this!! Wish I'd order two more for my other kits now!

• Like 1

Got my Two Grasshopper black's , from tower hobbies .

a1b14b723efc3e572465338fd6a291ff_zps4obj

• Like 7

New TX/RX kit and spare receiver plus a couple of servos from hobbyking.

IMG_20150902_094043_zpsmb3sten0.jpg

Got these books today, will be interesting to read once ingen the time.

2015-09-01%2023.30.53_zpsfe5mbw7z.jpg

I had the one top right, think I still have it, got it when i was about 12!

• Like 1

I had the one top right, think I still have it, got it when i was about 12!

Cool. I bought it because of the cool picture, hehe... hope it is good.

Probably very dated now, I think even when i got it was a bit out of date then like.

Todays stell order, hop ups for jimny yay already got the blue servo horn to go with servo saver. Aw grease to load up front diff with. Stickers are cool to did not realise quite how big they were lol but very cool!!

post-30082-0-77835800-1441230100_thumb.j

• Like 1

Not strictly the postman, but I collected my order from Orbital Fasteners today. About £11 all in for a huge amount of stainless steel fixings which would otherwise have cost a fortune if bought from a branded rc Co. They're hex-headed and obviously rust proof.

The best ones are the 3x30 high-tensile cap headed screws which are ideal for fixing motors in m-chassis and WT/WR based chassis. I don't know about anyone else but I've found the kit supplied screws are often very soft in this area, but then perhaps I'm just ham-fisted!

Vintage, mint Mark Thompson (or similar) aluminum Bruiser/Mountaineer wheels with front spacer to match front and rear width :).

The March 1988 copy of RRCi magazine. I love these old magazines for several reasons. Maybe because RC was still young, there was more diversity of models, more experiments, more exploration. Sometimes today, I feel many magazine writers appear to be going through the motions, having been there and done that in the past, and with a car that was distinguishable from the others when on the track, which also happened to be made from grass and mud, and off road was off road. I don't know. Maybe my glasses are too rose tinted.

Anyhoo, the magazine had a small article on the Thunder Shot, with particular mention going to Mark Chaplin who managed to be nigh on untouchable with his Bigwig during the '87 RRCi Series. It seems that Tamiya cars were still thought of as racing machines back then and the Thunder Shot seemed promising. What happened?

More reviews - the Marui Melling Thunderbird, based on their Ninja 4WD buggy. Like the Thunder shot review, it was well written with plenty of photos and exploded diagrams. Well done RRCi.

Next was a track test of a PB Maxima, having done the build review in a previous issue. Two issues for one car? That's good. Does it happen today? I don't know. It showed RRCi's commitment to the hobby and it's readers.

And then... An eight page review and track test of Kyosho's Optima Mid and Turbo. Apparently this was a car the whole RC world was waiting for. Looking at it, it seems primitive, and it is by today's cars. But at the time the car seemed to be the one thing that could stop Schumacher in it's tracks with their CAT. I guess this era was a turning point for off road RC, and more formulaic designs appeared and hung around for the best part of 20 years - Flat or twin deck chassis with belt drives winning over tubs and shafts and identical jelly moulded bodies instead of interesting looks. When was the last time you saw a load of top racing buggies whizzing round a proper off road track and you were able to identify each one? The mid 90's?

Plenty of adverts were spread about the pages with mouth watering prices, by todays standards. But saying that, A re re Hornet might cost you about £60 today, which isn't far off the price for an original in 1988. Taking inflation into account and we've never had it so good.

The classifieds are good for a kick in the balls though. Someone was selling a Tamiya Toyata 4x4 with radio, esc, 2 batteries, a charger, and the truck had working head lights. It cost him £300 and he was selling for £175 or near offer.

Does anyone have a time machine they could lend me?

• Like 3