backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

The March 1988 copy of RRCi magazine. I love these old magazines for several reasons. Maybe because RC was still young, there was more diversity of models, more experiments, more exploration. Sometimes today, I feel many magazine writers appear to be going through the motions, having been there and done that in the past, and with a car that was distinguishable from the others when on the track, which also happened to be made from grass and mud, and off road was off road. I don't know. Maybe my glasses are too rose tinted.

Anyhoo, the magazine had a small article on the Thunder Shot, with particular mention going to Mark Chaplin who managed to be nigh on untouchable with his Bigwig during the '87 RRCi Series. It seems that Tamiya cars were still thought of as racing machines back then and the Thunder Shot seemed promising. What happened?

More reviews - the Marui Melling Thunderbird, based on their Ninja 4WD buggy. Like the Thunder shot review, it was well written with plenty of photos and exploded diagrams. Well done RRCi.

Next was a track test of a PB Maxima, having done the build review in a previous issue. Two issues for one car? That's good. Does it happen today? I don't know. It showed RRCi's commitment to the hobby and it's readers.

And then... An eight page review and track test of Kyosho's Optima Mid and Turbo. Apparently this was a car the whole RC world was waiting for. Looking at it, it seems primitive, and it is by today's cars. But at the time the car seemed to be the one thing that could stop Schumacher in it's tracks with their CAT. I guess this era was a turning point for off road RC, and more formulaic designs appeared and hung around for the best part of 20 years - Flat or twin deck chassis with belt drives winning over tubs and shafts and identical jelly moulded bodies instead of interesting looks. When was the last time you saw a load of top racing buggies whizzing round a proper off road track and you were able to identify each one? The mid 90's?

Plenty of adverts were spread about the pages with mouth watering prices, by todays standards. But saying that, A re re Hornet might cost you about £60 today, which isn't far off the price for an original in 1988. Taking inflation into account and we've never had it so good.

The classifieds are good for a kick in the balls though. Someone was selling a Tamiya Toyata 4x4 with radio, esc, 2 batteries, a charger, and the truck had working head lights. It cost him £300 and he was selling for £175 or near offer.

Does anyone have a time machine they could lend me?

You just said what I've been thinking for months if not the past years I give up racing rc because I felt the sparkle had gone!, I was a stand alone no sponsored in it for the fun racer but over the last few years its all about race on a Sunday sell on a Monday top racer that don't even look at there cars they just turn up handed a transmitter and pick up a trophy at the end of the day (oh I forgot pose with the car and fuel for the mag!),no I don't think you are looking through any rose tinted glasses and I would have to ask what the buggies people are racing because they are all identical it just got a tad boring for me! If you find that time machine let me know!!

• Like 2

Not quite the postman, but picked these up from my local hobbycraft...

med_gallery_28308_3720_1596359.jpg

• Like 1

Fnar,

med_gallery_28308_3756_1314695.jpg

That's a helluva big aero! Thanks to whoever it was that put the boxart files up here a little while ago.

Cheers

Nito

• Like 3

Some tekin pro brushes. Gonna give the motor a birthday and list the Wraith its in for sale, and a few other RC's.

20150907_133226_zpsyclziswl.jpg

Today had a delivery from Asiatees -

105mm dampers for my WT01

3Racing countersunk washers

3Racing aluminium servo horn

And these beautiful wheels for my R32 GTR project made by Team Raffee - an amazing £3.65!!

DSC_0001.jpg

Today had a delivery from Asiatees -

105mm dampers for my WT01

3Racing countersunk washers

3Racing aluminium servo horn

And these beautiful wheels for my R32 GTR project made by Team Raffee - an amazing £3.65!!

DSC_0001.jpg

Received an 80 turn motor for my 6 year Old sons Mad bull. He won't drive it with the torque tuned motor so perhaps this will be slow enough for him. 9e13cfdd9559c26434580c5e8bbcdae3.jpg

• Like 1

A transmitter for my 2wd slash which I am going to sell,

and some bits from Stellamodels for my K100 tractor truck ever-so-slow build...

20150908_172648_zps7bmd98km.jpg

20150909_190647_zpstndciiuy_edit_1441783

Got new tires from Tamico today and a Top Force part from Lionel Croucher

20150909_190423_zpswslopomg.jpg

Solid alu part, i might modify it a bit since I'm not running brushless and weight is an issue.

20150909_190414_zpscgfomduh.jpg

• Like 2

0bd534dad7cdc269d96704e4522fcbcc.jpg

Few spares from Banzai. Funny thing is I did not order a Sports Tuned!

Bonus!

Running a little experiment recently with a few orders for spares I had to place, one order with Banzai, one with Asiatees and another with Rcmart - all on their most basic shipping rate, placed within half an hour of each other.

Rcmart arrived quickest, just 4 days after. Asiatees was next, 2 working days after that. Guess what I'm still waiting for?!!

Banzai is like Christmas. You wait that long you cannot remember what is in the box or in my case why you even ordered it.

The tyres and wheels for my Blitzer Mog project arrived today and I am very happy with them I just hope they work :D

IMG_2531_zpserilgvi7.jpg

• Like 1

A transmitter for my 2wd slash which I am going to sell,

and some bits from Stellamodels for my K100 tractor truck ever-so-slow build...

20150908_172648_zps7bmd98km.jpg

20150909_190647_zpstndciiuy_edit_1441783

I kept saying I was going to sell my slash. But at this point it's too late. My wife has claimed it...I gave a spare roller but can't bring myself to giving it away on flee - bay .

I couldn't resist :)

IMG_1774.jpg

Brushless 11T already waiting to go in it, just needs me to enjoy finishing my Super Clod build first

• Like 7

0bd534dad7cdc269d96704e4522fcbcc.jpg

Few spares from Banzai. Funny thing is I did not order a Sports Tuned!

Are those Willy speed gears? let us now how they do (probably thats why they included the sporttuned ;) )

Are those Willy speed gears? let us now how they do (probably thats why they included the sporttuned ;) )

They are. Not sure where they are intended for yet but they were cheap and pricked my interest.

A Yokomo brushed motor. Very nice quality made in Japan.

img_20150915_0055516hqli.jpg

and a TT-02R for my next build, Lancia Delta HF integrale

img_20150915_24543071gzp23.jpg

They are. Not sure where they are intended for yet but they were cheap and pricked my interest.

The re-re Willy gearbox is designed for use with big wheels such as those used on the WR-01 and WT-01 models, as well as Willy's own offroad wheelie rides. In models such as the small-wheeled re-re Honda City Turbo, it is decidedly under-geared. The speed gears overcome this to a large extent from what I gather.

So, I suppose you could use them to convert a WT-01 into a smaller-wheeled scaler, or perhaps a drifter? It will be interesting to see what you come up with.