backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

6 minutes ago, Grastens said:

Key to good running of the Striker is a chassis brace to reinforce the front end ;) CRP made one, but it does not quite fit, so if you find one be prepared to drill (the brace, not the chassis!).

These days, I get excited for MOTOR CABLES!

34o4tc2.jpg

Just as well, as some of my old cars might yet drive like new ones with new motors soldered to these...

Whoa, I am excited, those look nice, where I might want green and yellow colored wires, perhaps even black and red, but those packets have springs and brushes included too. where might I find those?? I haven't seen that brand before, how is the wire?? Silly bendable, too stiff, or just right?

Interested in the motor cables. Do you have links? I'm keen for another brushless but I want to keep tamiya plugs for the tble-02s esc. 

Postie bought me a pair of Schumacher Cat Block yellows for the rear of my Thunder Dragon. Ran nicely at lunchtime.

Today I received some rather s*******y alloy 'Brembo' gunmetal brake discs and calipers from HK - absolutely gorgeous, can see myself end up getting some more of these! Just waiting for a few other bits to turn up via snail mail before I start a new build :)

18 minutes ago, Leckster said:

Today I received some rather s*******y alloy 'Brembo' gunmetal brake discs and calipers from HK - absolutely gorgeous, can see myself end up getting some more of these! Just waiting for a few other bits to turn up via snail mail before I start a new build :)

SHINY??? PERHAPS?? Photo??

3 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

A Striker... not quite the Sonic Fighter I was after for a while but this is growing on me already, its just too quirky ;p

0kguYLZ.jpg

W7wCdwH.jpg

znatvMz.jpg

I really like the striker, I actually think it looks better than the sonic fighter. Are you planning on doing any upgrades or just a restore? 

• Like 1

A new kit!!! Hop ups are all ordered and coming in at very random times. 

IMG_2017.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

A Striker... not quite the Sonic Fighter I was after for a while but this is growing on me already, its just too quirky ;p

znatvMz.jpg

I owned one back when they first came out when I was a teenager.

I have one now that I bought new in the box years ago.

Be careful, as there is a very weak point in the tub chassis where the shock towers mount to the front. If you hit something hard enough, it will snap like a toothpick.

There is and after market skid brace they made to strengthen it. But I went through 4 tub chassis back as a teenager. But they were readily available back then as well.

This is the one I have now:

Soye2En.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Macinnis said:

A new kit!!! Hop ups are all ordered and coming in at very random times. 

IMG_2017.JPG

The hop ups become addictive, i think i maxed out all my options 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, IronSights said:

I owned one back when they first came out when I was a teenager.

I have one now that I bought new in the box years ago.

Be careful, as there is a very weak point in the tub chassis where the shock towers mount to the front. If you hit something hard enough, it will snap like a toothpick.

There is and after market skid brace they made to strengthen it. But I went through 4 tub chassis back as a teenager. But they were readily available back then as well.

This is the one I have now:

Soye2En.jpg

tell me something i didn't know :(. cool striker btw!

sonic%20broken.jpg

52 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

The hop ups become addictive, i think i maxed out all my options 

You can drop some cash in a hurry on hop ups.  They total as much as a new kit. 

• Like 1

Today I got my original Boomerang and Super Sabre in the mail. Interestingly, it took the same time to get the Super Sabre (from Japan) as it did the Boomerang (from my own country, the US). Both were purchased and shipped on the same day. The United States Postal Service is not the best of late. Let the restorations begin.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Today I got my original Boomerang and Super Sabre in the mail. Interestingly, it took the same time to get the Super Sabre (from Japan) as it did the Boomerang (from my own country, the US). Both were purchased and shipped on the same day. The United States Postal Service is not the best of late. Let the restorations begin.

Oh, don't get me started on the USPS, I had a Washington state package take longer than an Ontario Canada package to get here.

9 hours ago, Crash Cramer said:

Quirky is one word for it. :P I built one ages ago out of NIP parts and such, better search for a pair of Thundershot tires to get some on the rear. I think if driven well and with a hop up or two, they can be good running fun cars, but there were a lot of things that seemed so "entry level" to me on top of the F1 styled cockpit car blend.

Yeah let's leave it at quirky ;)

This was a very basic model at the outset so it's plastic heaven, thanks for the wheel heads up but I'm already looking st some GH2 wheels which I hear fit on this, luckily that's just been re-released so they are cheap to buy.

8 hours ago, Grastens said:

Key to good running of the Striker is a chassis brace to reinforce the front end ;) CRP made one, but it does not quite fit, so if you find one be prepared to drill (the brace, not the chassis!).

Thanks for the forewarning about modding the brace, it's on my list to get for this Striker ;)

7 hours ago, Supercoolnothing said:

I really like the striker, I actually think it looks better than the sonic fighter. Are you planning on doing any upgrades or just a restore? 

It will be made runner shelter if possible, due to cost and lack of some parts I'll have to control the useage of it, i.e., keep it away from the ramps ;)

58139/58145 Mercedes C-Class DTM, Tamiya body with "UPS/Sonax" sticker set from Carson. Well built and never run.

mercedes.jpg.a93ec05a01bd03a7ca90bffe5118fdf0.jpg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Carrera124 said:

58139/58145 Mercedes C-Class DTM, Tamiya body with "UPS/Sonax" sticker set from Carson. Well built and never run.

mercedes.jpg.a93ec05a01bd03a7ca90bffe5118fdf0.jpg

I don't remember seeing that decal set and WOW do you have some LED Strips above your table. :)

Lightweight carbon gear shafts for my DT03

Saw these carbon DT03 gear shafts on eBay for £7 and couldn't resist. No idea if they fit or how robust they are. We will soon see!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Crash Cramer said:

I don't remember seeing that decal set and WOW do you have some LED Strips above your table. :)

No strips, just LED pseudo-bulbs :-) didn't notice that they cause those strong reflections.

I also found a page that shows what sticker sets Carson has made. They seem to be really rare:
http://www.offroadmarkt.de/carson-karosserien-racing.php

21 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Interested in the motor cables. Do you have links? I'm keen for another brushless but I want to keep tamiya plugs for the tble-02s esc. 

PM sent!

21 hours ago, Crash Cramer said:

Whoa, I am excited, those look nice, where I might want green and yellow colored wires, perhaps even black and red, but those packets have springs and brushes included too. where might I find those?? I haven't seen that brand before, how is the wire?? Silly bendable, too stiff, or just right?

I had no idea other people were so excited for motor cables, too, but given that this set has brushes and springs, I can definitely see the appeal. I mean, that was quite the incentive for picking up these!

I will send a PM with the link - the cables are on the stiff side, but are still flexible enough to take the positions to reach the ESC on a chassis. I get the feeling a strong soldered joint will be useful on chassis where the wires will be bent extensively (for me, like the Avante); however that is probably true for any vehicle, off-road in particular...

This brand is unfamiliar to me, too, though you might also find the price worth the experimentation!

Several postmen and women brought me a new Blackfoot shell with some bits, a set of RPM wheels, a fake engine, lots of shapeways bling and as yet no tyres for the shelf version of my 4x4x4 fun truck...mmmm shiny chrome goodness

58A92DB8-B0DC-4775-92AA-697E00EA2240_zps

• Like 2

Postman dropped this off today 😊 going on my Daytona Thunder Group C.

WP_20170329_22_39_54_Rich.jpg

More goodies for the next build showed up!!!   Sadly the first piece of the build is two weeks out.  I need the aluminum 4wd shaft and the tamiya aluminum steering.  I tried to stay full Tamiya for this build.  From reading, it's my understanding the eagle racing universals are the least likely to give trouble and I used a different bearing company. Going to try the green slime trick I saw for oil filled shocks to keep them from leaking.  Bought everything for the df-02 gears including the 70t spur which may have been a waste.  Couldn't find the 64t yet. Somehow I ordered two sets of df-02 diff housings. Guess I'll have spares.  I'm thinking metallic red for this body, maybe backed in pearl white I have left over from the bush devil.  So many choices. 

IMG_2019.JPG

• Like 1