backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

New fronts to take sand tyres on the DT-03 pseudo Sand Viper.

IMG_1767_zpscsmnrb0q.jpg

Cheap all terrain tyres for the Holiday Buggy, the DT-03 gets the spikes.

IMG_1768_zpsmdrcdppm.jpg

Mini and short cva shocks, a radshape alloy bumper and an 18 tooth pinion for my GH2 project. I'm tempted to see how it goes with the stock motor and then drop a 17.5 brushless into it. 

• Like 2

Back to work today to find two packages waiting for me...a bundle of second hand spares and a used and well abused ORV for me to..use and abuse!

So, I think I have a vintage Frog?

IMG_0247_zpsahajyzru.jpg~original

I took a punt on this, it came with a hacked baja bug shell (lexan, Kamtec, I think) and I will keep the bug theme but go for a hard shell following inspiration from a post by @chevelle a while ago.

The front end looks interesting...

IMG_0248_zpszr14niyn.jpg~original

This HAS to be the last car for a while. My garage is bursting with projects. At my current work rate,  I should have enough to occupy me for a good five years - at least.

My spares bundle was all Mini oriented with two silver cans, body posts, six pairs of unused wheels, some foams - all bits I really needed! Plus what I think are a couple of M05 bits - third party steering linkages and a motor hear sink. 

9 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Back to work today to find two packages waiting for me...a bundle of second hand spares and a used and well abused ORV for me to..use and abuse!

So, I think I have a vintage Frog?

I took a punt on this, it came with a hacked baja bug shell (lexan, Kamtec, I think) and I will keep the bug theme but go for a hard shell following inspiration from a post by @chevelle a while ago.

The front end looks interesting...

;) It actually looks like you have a Monster Beetle chassis with yellow cva rear shocks & front uprights with brat inner springs. Brat rear body posts and the dt holiday buggy wheels :o It is a great platform though and I would be happy to trade those front uprights for some frog/brat ones & the brat rear body mounts for a front brat cross member to help this project along :) Thanks for the inspiration credit, but I will have to give a shout out to @JennyMo who inspired me ;)

kCYPetVg.jpg

OHRazHxg.jpg

@JennyMo Fro-Sco

DSCF1774.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chevelle said:

;) It actually looks like you have a Monster Beetle chassis with yellow cva rear shocks & front uprights with brat inner springs. Brat rear body posts and the dt holiday buggy wheels :o It is a great platform though and I would be happy to trade those front uprights for some frog/brat ones & the brat rear body mounts for a front brat cross member to help this project along :) Thanks for the inspiration credit, but I will have to give a shout out to @JennyMo who inspired me ;)

Woah?! You're kidding! What a mongrel! I like it even more!

So that means I have my second JennyMo-inspired project as I've got her HPI Mini Recon from the first Nailer Scaler!

We'll sort out some parts swaps!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Woah?! You're kidding! What a mongrel! I like it even more!

So that means I have my second JennyMo-inspired project as I've got her HPI Mini Recon from the first Nailer Scaler!

We'll sort out some parts swaps!

I'm suprised it doesn't have four different wheels!

• Like 1

On 31 May 2017 at 3:41 PM, theRuggedMan said:

The postie brought me this little lot! (As well as giving himself a hernia) lol!

good_stuff.jpg

Nice selection.

And here's me trying to finish 1 car before I buy anymore!!!

• Like 1

Got some proper lenses for my axial scx10 II Jeep Cherokee 

hard body and some decals.

Just waiting for the kit to be in stock now.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2017-6-1 at 10:15 PM, moffman said:

If our local postie brought me that lovely lot (yeah I wish!) It would be indeed in the condition of that lot! BUT our hobby/RC shops would probably use a courier so they would probably (if not certain) be thrown over my back gate or down my side alley either way they won't look as neat as them!

Lol I had a problem with DHL doing this a while back with my axial spawn kit! Unfortunately I have no side gate just a garage so the person threw it on the roof of the garage! Lucky my neighbour spotted it and told me because I didn't!

30 minutes ago, guitarman said:

Nice selection.

And here's me trying to finish 1 car before I buy anymore!!!

It's gonna take me a while that's for sure!

Edited by theRuggedMan
Spellage

Got some more yesterday and today.

Tt02d box was well worn but contents are fine! 

Mad bull not for me but my nephew ( I have two already) He loves my loner mad bull and his b day is coming up and he's been doing well at school so I'd thought I'd treat him!

good_stuff_2.jpg

Edited by theRuggedMan
Spelling

The Yodel man bought me: (3 days late as usual)

A Twin Detonator, always wanted one and this was at a pretty good price considering it just needs a good clean.

OKLr8lP.jpg

The paint was a pleasant surprise, it just looked green in the listing but it's actually a green/blue pearlescent effect.

Some of the decals are a bit flakes but I'll just whip them off.

It needs a modern ESC, bearings and some oil shocks first of all. Then maybe some more power.

And I finally got an FY03, how to resist at just £32?

mcO5376.jpg

So much car for the money and they have such a big following now that there's all kinds of hop ups, mods and general advice available. I always liked the look of them and when I saw that price on ebay I couldn't resist, the seller even imports to their own UK staff before forwarding it on so there was zero risk of import fees.

This thing has 4x4, 3 gearboxes, cantilever front suspension, 4 link rear suspension with massive articulation, universal drive shafts, adjustable shocks, slipper clutch, standard 12mm hex wheels, fully functional spare wheel, hex head screws throughout, BALL BEARINGS as standard (lookin' at you, Tamiya) lipo battery and charger, 2.4ghz radio system, adjustable motor mount and 3 pinions included. for THIRTY TWO POUNDS!

• Like 2

@nowinaminute welcome to the recent Twin Detonator owners club. I really like mine so far. Although mine doesn't have a Twin Detonator body. It's one from a something or other Cross Tiger. I only realised the other day.

1 hour ago, Peter_B said:

@nowinaminute welcome to the recent Twin Detonator owners club. I really like mine so far. Although mine doesn't have a Twin Detonator body. It's one from a something or other Cross Tiger. I only realised the other day.

Thanks! I have a "super motivation cross tiger" aka Bonzer too lol.
Quick question, the stock friction dampers have been built with tubes on the shafts limiting their travel (as per manual) is there any harm in taking them off? I can't think of a good reason to keep them on there, I'm pretty sure the dogbones have enough freedom of movement in them. My Bonzer has much better shock travel and I've never had a dog bone pop out or anything.

@nowinaminute to be honest I have no idea! :) I've had mine for a week and not gotten round to investigating it too much. Other than noticing the shocks are a bit rubbish and it squats too much on take off. I've got some GPM shock towers and GMade 95mm shocks on the way. I've already got a set of bearings for it. Hopefully they'll all be fitted later this week.

I've been pondering an increase in power but not sure what way to go. The HPI GT550 motors apparently fit and are quite cheap. But they seem to be specced for 14.4v and I'm just going to be running 7.2v, so I don't know how/if they'd perform.

I got quite lucky with mine in that it already had a TEU-106BK ESC fitted. Possibly not the best but it's £60 worth of ESC I don't need to buy.

Today the postie dropped through my letterbox a 5g tube of ceramic grease and a package from tonystamiyaparts with a quick release battery adapter for the Twin Detonator, a pack of m3x10mm screws.

Got to give tonystamiyaparts some extra credit. Yesterday when my new servo, and servo saver parts turned up I realised I didn't have the right screw for attaching the saver to the servo.

I messaged them and asked if they could help, as I hadn't seen anything like it listed. They replied to say they had found one in their own spares and they included it for no charge with the other bits that I ordered.

Not a big thing, but a nice touch that is much appreciated.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Peter_B said:

@nowinaminute to be honest I have no idea! :) I've had mine for a week and not gotten round to investigating it too much. Other than noticing the shocks are a bit rubbish and it squats too much on take off. I've got some GPM shock towers and GMade 95mm shocks on the way. I've already got a set of bearings for it. Hopefully they'll all be fitted later this week.

I've been pondering an increase in power but not sure what way to go. The HPI GT550 motors apparently fit and are quite cheap. But they seem to be specced for 14.4v and I'm just going to be running 7.2v, so I don't know how/if they'd perform.

I got quite lucky with mine in that it already had a TEU-106BK ESC fitted. Possibly not the best but it's £60 worth of ESC I don't need to buy.

The FTX 550 motors are very cheap and in my experience have been very good! lots of torque and because they are 15t they are pretty fast too although 15T on a 550 isn't the same as 15T on a 540. They seem to be good all rounders for the price and probably the route I will take with mine if I upgrade the motors.

I doubt I'll be getting aftermarket shock towers at least for the time being (very small budget) more likely I'll get the same cheap "HSP" shocks that I put on my Bonzer as they have the same suspension arms and other similarities. The ones I got for my Bonzer were just about 70mm eye to eye, they gave me more ground clearance AND more travel but I haven't had any issues with dog bones so far. Looking at the Twin Detonator, with those tubes on the shock shafts, the dog bones don't even get horizontally level when fully compressed let alone bend too far upwards. I read on another thread that the idea of them is to stop the chassis contacting the ground but I always thought it was better for the chassis to bottom out than the suspension to hit the end of it's travel?

@nowinaminute I haven't checked but I wonder if the restriction on shock travel is to stop the wheels fouling the body, when everything is as per the standard kit.

I don't really know much about 550 motors. I don't know if they would physically fit, or if they'd work with the current ESC.

7 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

@nowinaminute I haven't checked but I wonder if the restriction on shock travel is to stop the wheels fouling the body, when everything is as per the standard kit.

I don't really know much about 550 motors. I don't know if they would physically fit, or if they'd work with the current ESC.

They should be ok, same diameter as 540 and same fixing holes, just a longer can. On some vehicles you have to remove what's called the "flux ring" which is just that metal sleeve you see on some motors, removing it will reduce torque and increase RPM but it's a very small difference., it only has to be removed on vehicles that tightly enclose the motor.

There's more "displacement" so to speak with a 550 so all else being equal, a given turn rating will have more torque, less current draw and less speed compared to a 540. You'd think on the surface it would require more current because its a larger motor but of course that means larger resistance too. The thing I like about the HSP motors aside from them being cheap is that they are pretty fast too. Most 550 motors are quite low RPM or at least only get to a good speed at 14v or more but these are pretty fast at 7.2v

There's a similar thing with 380 motors, there's a bigger brother called the 390 which all else being equal has more torque and runs cooler than an equivalent 380.

2 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

They should be ok, same diameter as 540 and same fixing holes, just a longer can. On some vehicles you have to remove what's called the "flux ring" which is just that metal sleeve you see on some motors, removing it will reduce torque and increase RPM but it's a very small difference. There's more "displacement" so to speak so all else being equal, a given turn rating will have more torque, less current draw and less speed compared to a 540. You'd think on the surface it would require more current because its a larger motor but of course that means larger resistance too. The thing I like about the HSP motors aside from them being cheap is that they are pretty fast too. Most 550 motors are quite low RPM or at least only get to a good speed at 14v or more but these are pretty fast at 7.2v

That's useful to know. I think I'll see how it is after the strip and rebuild. Then maybe have a look at power options.

13 hours ago, Peter_B said:

That's useful to know. I think I'll see how it is after the strip and rebuild. Then maybe have a look at power options.

Oops one correction, I mean the FTX 550 motor not HSP!

On 6/3/2017 at 8:12 PM, Peter_B said:

@nowinaminute I've got some GPM shock towers and GMade 95mm shocks on the way.

Turns out there's some cracks on my shock towers, 2 cracks in the vicinity of screw holes. I'll repair them for now but no doubt that wasn't helped by the limited travel of the stock shocks, they have such little travel that the force is soon transferred into the towers. I ended up removing the bits of tube from the shafts but it only added a small amount of travel, the shaft hits the top internally not far after the tube limits it! There isn't enough extra travel to make the wheels scrape the shell. I think for now I'll get some of the same cheap oil dampers I put on my Bonzer and then down the line maybe get some GPM towers or adapt some generic ones to do the same job.