backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

11 hours ago, Supercoolnothing said:

Got a novafox/bigwig driver figure for the torso because I think the shoulders only figure supplied with the GH2 looks naff and a set of 1/16th scale Tiger tank decals to make the GH2 look more militaristic. 

Once I get the driver painted up and give the car a coat of matt lacquer it'll be done. I'm pretty happy with the results so far. 

20170614_202631_zpsdo3znkkj.jpg

What's the part number for the bigwig torso? I have been looking for something with more coverage for my Gasshopper3. Currently got the Frog torso which is better than stock but not as big as that.

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

What's the part number for the bigwig torso? I have been looking for something with more coverage for my Gasshopper3. Currently got the Frog torso which is better than stock but not as big as that.

I'm not sure of the part number but here's the link to it on ebay 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382101672380

• Like 1

As he stands he doesn't add more coverage, but I used the Scorcher driver for my 'Hopper2, which could very easily have a sheet of plastic stuck underneath him to provide as much coverage as you like.

IMG_1112_zpsf4725566.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TeaMonster said:

They are satellite buggy wheels and are going on my team associated B5M I recently acquired. The inserts and wheels were from DMS racing and the tyres were Modelsport 

Do you buy more tyres than rims and swap the tyres around? Or do you already have rims for the extra tyres?

Just wondering as most people here seem to buy new wheels and tyres every time rather than reuse the wheels which to me seems wasteful and expensive

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Do you buy more tyres than rims and swap the tyres around? Or do you already have rims for the extra tyres?

Just wondering as most people here seem to buy new wheels and tyres every time rather than reuse the wheels which to me seems wasteful and expensive

Depending on the condition of the wheels I will reuse them. As you said it starts to get expensive, the B5M did not come with wheels that was the only reason to get these.

It can also depend on how easily the glued tyres come off the rims.

• Like 1

I saw someone I know advertising a NIB kit for sale, one I've fancied for a while.  It arrived today.  Bearing in mind my recent problems with cutting/masking/painting a fairly-simple polycarbonate shell, which is the stupidest kit I could have gone for ?...

Betrayer....? Yes, I am.

MST_001.jpg

and a spare body to fit, I do not know how.

MST_002.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StrokerBoy said:

I saw someone I know advertising a NIB kit for sale, one I've fancied for a while.  It arrived today.  Bearing in mind my recent problems with cutting/masking/painting a fairly-simple polycarbonate shell, which is the stupidest kit I could have gone for ?...

Haha, I am going to guess... one of the the MAN racing trucks with the three piece bodies? 😆

• Like 1

No, it's the WR-02 VW Bus, usually known as the '23 window'...

I should have looked for an XB one.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, StrokerBoy said:

:D I have one of those shells, it's masked up. That's as far as I got before I hid it away under a pile of other shells I'm scared to ruin :D

• Like 2

Today's hall, 

20170615_191735.jpg

Most impressive purchase, a 5.5t speed passion for a fiver 😁

• Like 1

Just now, Wooders28 said:

Today's hall, 

20170615_191735.jpg

Most impressive purchase, a 5.5t speed passion for a fiver 😁

I hope those arrowmax hex drivers are awesome as mine have shipped now so too late if not...

1 hour ago, StrokerBoy said:

I AGREE, I haven't even looked at mine or taken it out of its bag for fear I won't ever get it painted up the way I want it. I am torn between the box art red and a nice period green though. I won't even share my experience recently with a LandCruiser bodyshell that I tried to hack out, err I mean cut correctly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I hope those arrowmax hex drivers are awesome as mine have shipped now so too late if not...

Turns out they are made by Schumacher, so fingers crossed!! 

20170615_191828.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

20170615_191828.jpg

I'm on my 3rd 2.0mm tip but all the others are still as they arrived. Good set of tools.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StrokerBoy said:

Take a deep breath and jump in. Just grab some good tweezers and a couple of q tips to smooth the masking. 

• Like 2

I got a pair of Tamiya Pro screwdrivers in medium and large sizes. I've been using Philips style drivers for building kits for years thinking there wasn't enough of a difference to justify buying JIS drivers and man was I wrong. They grip the screw head so much better and give you a lot more feedback when tightening up tamiya screws. I've only used them a couple of times but I'd say they're definitely one of the best purchases I've made for a long time. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Supercoolnothing said:

I got a pair of Tamiya Pro screwdrivers in medium and large sizes. I've been using Philips style drivers for building kits for years thinking there wasn't enough of a difference to justify buying JIS drivers and man was I wrong. They grip the screw head so much better and give you a lot more feedback when tightening up tamiya screws. I've only used them a couple of times but I'd say they're definitely one of the best purchases I've made for a long time. 

This is interesting, I'm a tool person. I worship James May and I line things up in order.

Going back to when I had my first bike, a Yamaha "DT" spookily enough, neither Phillips or Pozidrive would fit the engine screws properly. The screw heads also had a small centrepunch mark on each.

On the advice of the bike shop, it seemed like I'd spent a fortune on one single T-Bar wrench but what a tool! The flutes were slightly concave to match the screws. After using it, i realised it was worth ten times the price, for the lack of grief.

Sorry, that's an old man waffling on. Do you have a link to these beauties? Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Supercoolnothing said:

I have to agree with you about the Tamiya Pro screwdrivers. I recently got the medium and large ones as well. They just fit the screws so much better than anything else I've ever used.

21 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

20170615_191828.jpg

i have a few arrowmax tools and tbh i am really impresed with them  great tools

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

This is interesting, I'm a tool person. I worship James May and I line things up in order.

Going back to when I had my first bike, a Yamaha "DT" spookily enough, neither Phillips or Pozidrive would fit the engine screws properly. The screw heads also had a small centrepunch mark on each.

On the advice of the bike shop, it seemed like I'd spent a fortune on one single T-Bar wrench but what a tool! The flutes were slightly concave to match the screws. After using it, i realised it was worth ten times the price, for the lack of grief.

Sorry, that's an old man waffling on. Do you have a link to these beauties? Thanks.

The wee dot on the screws signifies they're JIS screws, apparently they're used in a lot of Japanese stuff (funny that) 

I got mine from wonderland models 

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/tamiya-crosshead-screwdriver-pro-medium/ Medium driver 

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/tamiya-crosshead-screwdriver-pro-large/ Large driver 

They really are some of the best tools I've used and definitely worth the money. I think my next tool purchase is going to be this set 

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/tamiya-rc-tool-set-8pc/

I've been developing a bit of a tool fetish recently and having the right tools for the job definitely makes my life a lot easier. 

• Like 2