backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

42 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

What makes those a crawler esc?

I was looking at one to run a 10t brushed, with it being 80amp?

Adjustable drag brake, different throttle responses, you can also set a lot of parameters that usually found in high end esc's and there's something called 'freewheel' which as far as I can tell either allows the car to roll when there's no power or acts like a handbrake to stop it from rolling. I haven't really been able to get a good look at it yet but I'm looking forward to playing around with it. 

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Supercoolnothing said:

Adjustable drag brake, different throttle responses, you can also set a lot of parameters that usually found in high end esc's and there's something called 'freewheel' which as far as I can tell either allows the car to roll when there's no power or acts like a handbrake to stop it from rolling. I haven't really been able to get a good look at it yet but I'm looking forward to playing around with it. 

I've currently got a 1060 in my CC01, so I'd be curious to hear your opinion after putting it through its paces.

The Spektrum DX4S radio and receiver that I took a punt on arrived.

It seems a nice bit of kit, I like how it feels in the hand.

Popped some batteries in it and it all seems to work fine. Unfortunately it has the firmware installed that reportedly removed support for DSM2 receivers. Which means I can't get a load of cheap receivers to run my cars.

So I'll be putting it up for sale and saving for a Futaba.

3 hours ago, Peter_B said:

The Spektrum DX4S radio and receiver that I took a punt on arrived.

It seems a nice bit of kit, I like how it feels in the hand.

Popped some batteries in it and it all seems to work fine. Unfortunately it has the firmware installed that reportedly removed support for DSM2 receivers. Which means I can't get a load of cheap receivers to run my cars.

So I'll be putting it up for sale and saving for a Futaba.

Which firmware version is that? And which receiver did it come with?

I'm still highly sceptical about the claim that Spektrum removed support for DSM2 receivers. Their own website makes the following claim about the DX4S:

" It's also backwards compatible with DSM, DSM2 and marine-specific Spektrum receivers. Longtime Spektrum users won't need to replace the receivers they have unless they want the frequency-agility of a DSMR receiver for busy 2.4GHz environments."

Source:https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM4000C

6 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Firmware 2.1 and it came with an SR410

12 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I'm still highly sceptical about the claim that Spektrum removed support for DSM2 receivers. Their own website makes the following claim about the DX4S:

" It's also backwards compatible with DSM, DSM2 and marine-specific Spektrum receivers. Longtime Spektrum users won't need to replace the receivers they have unless they want the frequency-agility of a DSMR receiver for busy 2.4GHz environments."

It even says similar in the manual. But the outside of the box doesn't mention DSM2, only DSMR.

From what I can gather it was to do with a European law and means any Spektrum transmitters sold in the EU, after Jan 2015, only support DSMR.

If I had a DSM2 receiver I would give it a try. But I don't want to get one only to find it doesn't work.

I'm quite disappointed actually. It seems like really nice hardware.

44 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I had exactly the same problem (if it's classed as a problem) I bought a few of the cheaper orange receiver's and they just refused to bind and that's obviously what the problem was/is:unsure: and add the fact that my local and vast majority of other hobby shops now don't supply spektrum I'm thinking going to a different brand (your loss spektrum<_<)

Well after being so close to pulling the trigger on a Holiday Buggy, I accidently went and bought a Kyosho Scorpion 2014 :rolleyes:, which turned up yesterday. 

Probably will end up will a Holiday Buggy at some point 'cos I do love their look (already got an unbuilt Street Rover).

Probably going to order some hop up's for the Scorpion (led lights, roll cage and bucket lights).

Just a DT02/03 cva set for the Kumamon sand buggy I'm getting for my daughter for Xmas. 

A UK ebay seller had some for £16 so I grabbed a set, I usually have to go to Chinese sellers for those prices!

15 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

I've currently got a 1060 in my CC01, so I'd be curious to hear your opinion after putting it through its paces.

I don't actually like the 1060 that was originally fitted to my cc01, I had it set F/R and drag brake but I found that when I put the throttle to neutral the car basically stood on its nose as if it was doing an emergency stop. Hopefully I'll get the 1080 fitted either tonight or tomorrow and mess around with the settings until I'm happy.

I had been slowly collecting the parts to make this model but then spotted this...

s-l400_zpsaoacij23.jpg~original

Arrived today! Slight crease in the top of the box. Quick glance inside and all looked OK, shell has made it OK though looks a little foggy.

Something about the M04 platform feels right for the old Alfa to me.

And it was cheaper than the M06 versions I've seen on Modelsport and Tamico, came with bearings and a servo.

• Like 5

Couldn't resist, allthough they were really expensive, but I love the TA-03's.😉

Don't know if I will keep them NIB or build them, and keep them new built on the shelf.

ernieks

IMG_0245.JPG

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

I had been slowly collecting the parts to make this model but then spotted this...

Arrived today! Slight crease in the top of the box. Quick glance inside and all looked OK, shell has made it OK though looks a little foggy.

And it was cheaper than the M06 versions I've seen on Modelsport and Tamico, came with bearings and a servo.

Looks gorgeous!

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ernieks said:

Couldn't resist, allthough they were really expensive, but I love the TA-03's.😉

Don't know if I will keep them NIB or build them, and keep them new built on the shelf.

ernieks

IMG_0245.JPG

Very nice, and yes very expensive 😮

Build them😉

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

I love my shelf queen M04, and had get fun when I used to race one in the m-chassis class at my local club, never won but proper tail out action.

High grip tyres on the back and low grip fronts👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, svenb said:

High grip tyres on the back and low grip fronts👍

Is that why each pair of tyres in the box is in a different colour bag?

Thank you!!!

3 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Is that why each pair of tyres in the box is in a different colour bag?

Thank you!!!

My man! Good to see another M04 alfa 😆

Yeah they will say S Grip on the side of the tyre for the rears, in (i think) the blue bag. I have S grip rear and M grip front on my M06, but I quite like just the stock kit tyres front and rear on my M04 alfa, with a 17tooth and the silver can. So much oversteer fun! Eats the rears though 😁

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Supercoolnothing said:

I don't actually like the 1060 that was originally fitted to my cc01, I had it set F/R and drag brake but I found that when I put the throttle to neutral the car basically stood on its nose as if it was doing an emergency stop. Hopefully I'll get the 1080 fitted either tonight or tomorrow and mess around with the settings until I'm happy.

That's what I don't like about the 1060 in mine. Every time I let off the trigger, it's an instant application of brakes.

10 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Lot's of fun there. You're going to love it. I have the M06 version and can attest. 

• Like 1

A Heatsink for my F103GT, pity the second one I ordered didn't get sent with it, now my F103/104 thingy has to wait.

BK2R2zv.jpg

• Like 2

On 24/11/2017 at 5:23 AM, Kingfisher said:

That's what I don't like about the 1060 in mine. Every time I let off the trigger, it's an instant application of brakes.

I got the 1080 fitted last night and after a few minutes messing around in the garden I can say it's smoooooooooooth. I've set the drag brake to 10%,  the pwm frequency (how smooth the power delivery is) to 16k,  the punch to level 2 and the freewheel mode to on (hobbywing recommend that for crawlers tho personally I don't know what the difference is). With these settings I put a tiny amount of pressure onto the throttle stick and the wheels start (very slowly) turning. I'd say it's worth the money and unlike the 1060 you get loads of wire to play with. 

• Thanks 1

Got this beautiful 11 turn peak racing brushed motor to fit in my RC10 classic new and unused just got to solder the wires (never soldered one of these before:unsure:) I'm getting a lot more interested in all the different types of brushed motors to the extent I've sold the vast majority of my car collection and I'm just left with half a dozen of a mixture of classic kyosho's, associated, Schumacher and Tamiya but have 30+ old time brushed motors and still on the hunt:rolleyes:!

IMG_20171125_150347.jpg

2 hours ago, Supercoolnothing said:

I got the 1080 fitted last night and after a few minutes messing around in the garden I can say it's smoooooooooooth. I've set the drag brake to 10%,  the pwm frequency (how smooth the power delivery is) to 16k,  the punch to level 2 and the freewheel mode to on (hobbywing recommend that for crawlers tho personally I don't know what the difference is). With these settings I put a tiny amount of pressure onto the throttle stick and the wheels start (very slowly) turning. I'd say it's worth the money and unlike the 1060 you get loads of wire to play with. 

Awesome. That sounds a ton better than the way the 1060 works for a crawler. Thanks a lot. 

On 11/24/2017 at 12:19 PM, Jason1145 said:

A Heatsink for my F103GT, pity the second one I ordered didn't get sent with it, now my F103/104 thingy has to wait.

BK2R2zv.jpg

I like the shape of that heatsink.  

• Like 1

Its not everyday you get flippin' lucky.

Keep looking at the Dark impact online NIB then this turns up online, under £30 posted marvolous

Need some work and a good clean but looks good! Will take apart and rebuild 

5a1bec143c88f_rps20171127_1039501.jpg.8881b9aed1b77060ed5ca3d0dec2cfc5.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, novicelad said:

Its not everyday you get flippin' lucky.

Keep looking at the Dark impact online NIB then this turns up online, under £30 posted marvolous

Need some work and a good clean but looks good! Will take apart and rebuild 

5a1bec143c88f_rps20171127_1039501.jpg.8881b9aed1b77060ed5ca3d0dec2cfc5.jpg

Good find. Wish I spotted those sorts of deals!