backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

6 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Interesting. Neither of mine had these. Clearly a slop reduction device. Someone’s been reading our threads!

Although I’ve seen these on other GPM products such as c-hubs. Would be interested to see if these inserts can be sourced individually as in sure they’d be very useful in other areas. 

Interesting. Both yours blue? Daft as it sounds I wonder if it’s depends on colour chosen. I’m pretty sure Cy’s in silver too but no idea about Turnips. Email GPM see if they'll send some maybe. 

5 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Mine has the inserts. They stay in. They work well, nice and smooth with virtually no slop. 

Thanks sounds a positive then.

2 hours ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Interesting. Both yours blue? Daft as it sounds I wonder if it’s depends on colour chosen. I’m pretty sure Cy’s in silver too but no idea about Turnips. Email GPM see if they'll send some maybe. 

Could be a colour thing. Mine is silver. 

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I've got a blue one turning up soon, so I'll check for inserts.

7 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Maybe but that begs the question. Why?

4 hours ago, SurreyDad said:

I've got a blue one turning up soon, so I'll check for inserts.

The website shows the available colours all with inserts so in theory you should have them but then some haven’t it seems. Weird!

Let is know when it comes. I’m curious now!

On topic now. 

My Core RC lexan scissors arrived so can make a start on the shell soon.

Still waiting on servo saver though. 12 days after ordereing. Time for an email it seems 🙄

Good job the thing is still in bits. 

34 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Maybe but that begs the question. Why?

At a guess, I'd say it is due to demand forecast vs. actual.

When first introducing the part to market, GPM probably forecast how many of each colour would be bought, and manufactured them accordingly.

At some point, GPM appear to have revised the original insert-less design to include inserts, possibly to reduce slop in response to customer feedback as suggested.

Those colours where actual demand met or exceeded the forecast are probably available with inserts, as we are buying fresh stock of the redesigned ones. Those colours where forecast demand exceeded actual are probably still being sold without inserts, as we are buying old stock of the 1st generation ones.

• Like 2

I got another hobbywing 1080 crawler esc to replace the one I swiped from my cc-01 when I built my Scx10ii at the start of the year and a snatch block to use with the rc4wd warn winch I fitted to it the other day. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Supercoolnothing said:

I got another hobbywing 1080 crawler esc

Are they any good for a ,normal, buggy? Keep looking at those to maybe run lower turn brushed motors in vintage stuff, but put off by it being a crawler esc.

17 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Just some 7mm clamp on hexes so the CAT Block fronts definitely clear the DF03 uprights on my Thunder Dragon.

Out of interest what hexes do you use? I have only tried Yeah Racing and they seem fine but I know others have had problems with them

32 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Out of interest what hexes do you use? I have only tried Yeah Racing and they seem fine but I know others have had problems with them

I have a variety, but these and the 10mm ones I have on the DT03 are just Chinese eBay specials. Not had trouble with any of mine but I don't really run craxy power on anything. Pretty much none of the cheap clamping ones I have bought actually clamp properly, but that doesn't bother me especially.

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I have a variety, but these and the 10mm ones I have on the DT03 are just Chinese eBay specials. Not had trouble with any of mine but I don't really run craxy power on anything. Pretty much none of the cheap clamping ones I have bought actually clamp properly, but that doesn't bother me especially.

Cool thanks. I don't really buy off ebay, except off Tony, as it never took off down here. Good to know the cheapies have worked for you. I don't think thr clamping has too much to do unless you are changing the wheels often, but I don't do that even on thr race cars

Pretty much none of the cheap clamping ones I have bought actually clamp properly, but that doesn't bother me especially.

I buy these yumcha nubrand clamp hexes by the dozen in 5/6/7mm. :) 

they don't clamp because 1, they're made of hard alloy that's 2, too stiff for the little screw to squeeze tight enough & 3, it's hard brittle metal & you might strip the threads or wrench the soft steel screw

so I chuck them into the vise and squeeze them closed until they *just* drag on the axle, then snug them up with a high-tensile black steel cap 2mm head screw. 

No probs so far, rehab has worked for all.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Cool thanks. I don't really buy off ebay, except off Tony, as it never took off down here. Good to know the cheapies have worked for you. I don't think thr clamping has too much to do unless you are changing the wheels often, but I don't do that even on thr race cars

Yeah, I Don't change wheels often either, and the only car I do (i switch the DT03 between truck and buggy wheels) I put decent screws in to Get them to clamp. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Are they any good for a ,normal, buggy? Keep looking at those to maybe run lower turn brushed motors in vintage stuff, but put off by it being a crawler esc.

Yeah they'd be fine for a normal buggy, it's got a couple of things on the program card that are intended for crawlers but you don't have to use em. 

• Thanks 1

The nice postlady dropped by today with this one, my Avante 2001 runner to be. 

EEAAE273-9947-45B2-93FE-4E32F529DE54_zps

0D44E304-DFBE-41CA-8E2E-834FD5C1DB3F_zps

903B269D-0299-4A9C-AF3D-28C89780CD14_zps

just had a quick look at it so far, i see some parts that should be Changed, but nothing big. Once i take it apart i will know how the gears have liked the brushless combo. I guess the body have been changed since there is no signes of the special 2001 cockpit have been mounted (and it’s missing). I have a spare set of avante 2001 wheels, they will be fitted on this one, to get the correct look and feeling of driving a 2001 and not an egress. The body I will try to save and use, I must also apply some new decals on it, but I might keep some of the old once’s to get the correct retro feeling. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bjorklo said:

The nice postlady dropped by today with this one, my Avante 2001 runner to be. 

EEAAE273-9947-45B2-93FE-4E32F529DE54_zps

0D44E304-DFBE-41CA-8E2E-834FD5C1DB3F_zps

903B269D-0299-4A9C-AF3D-28C89780CD14_zps

just had a quick look at it so far, i see some parts that should be Changed, but nothing big. Once i take it apart i will know how the gears have liked the brushless combo. I guess the body have been changed since there is no signes of the special 2001 cockpit have been mounted (and it’s missing). I have a spare set of avante 2001 wheels, they will be fitted on this one, to get the correct look and feeling of driving a 2001 and not an egress. The body I will try to save and use, I must also apply some new decals on it, but I might keep some of the old once’s to get the correct retro feeling. 

I kinda like the look of that. Glad it's going to be a runner. Such a shame people don't run Avante's. They all seem to get built as shelf queens. 

• Like 1

Another proud owner of a 2017 Top-Force.... Just wondering, should I keep it fairly standard or upgrade it with things like the Fibre Lyte carbon bits and Hi-Caps? That little lot is going to cost at least £200 I reckon! Maybe I'll just stick with bearings and the plastic gear set for now, haven't even decided if it'll be a runner yet (more than likely will!)

Top-Force.jpg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Tamiyold said:

Another proud owner of a 2017 Top-Force.... Just wondering, should I keep it fairly standard or upgrade it with things like the Fibre Lyte carbon bits and Hi-Caps? That little lot is going to cost at least £200 I reckon! Maybe I'll just stick with bearings and the plastic gear set for now, haven't even decided if it'll be a runner yet (more than likely will!)

Top-Force.jpg

Nice! The shocks come with those horrid cheap one piece metal plumbers for pistons. If you don't fancy spending out on Hicaps you can pick up the Ti coated TRF501X piston rods pretty cheaply and then add the 3 hole pistons from the kit sprues. Some red o rings and the shocks will work great then. Alternatively Tamiya are saying the DF03 aluminium shock 53926 can be fitted to the Manta Ray 2018 so that is an option. If you can find one I would get the Speed Tuned gearset. I was a bit underwhelmed by the speed of my full carbon Terra Conqueror even with brushless. I think the stock gearing is a bit limited. My Thunder Dragon with a 17t pinion flies in comparison. Certainly get a 21t steel pinion if you stick with the regular gearset. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice! The shocks come with those horrid cheap one piece metal plumbers for pistons. If you don't fancy spending out on Hicaps you can pick up the Ti coated TRF501X piston rods pretty cheaply and then add the 3 hole pistons from the kit sprues. Some red o rings and the shocks will work great then. Alternatively Tamiya are saying the DF03 aluminium shock 53926 can be fitted to the Manta Ray 2018 so that is an option. If you can find one I would get the Speed Tuned gearset. I was a bit underwhelmed by the speed of my full carbon Terra Conqueror even with brushless. I think the stock gearing is a bit limited. My Thunder Dragon with a 17t pinion flies in comparison. Certainly get a 21t steel pinion if you stick with the regular gearset. 

I have 6 if these shocks. Pants all to save a quid or 2....

7 hours ago, Baddon said:

I have 6 if these shocks. Pants all to save a quid or 2....

There is a plain one as well. 9805917. The 501X version is 54043. 

Well I happen to have a set of DF03 aluminium shocks arriving soon for the TT02B, I wonder if the fronts will be long enough for the TF though. I may look into using the TRF shafts as well, that sounds like an inexpensive way to improve the cheapo kit shocks.

41 minutes ago, Tamiyold said:

Well I happen to have a set of DF03 aluminium shocks arriving soon for the TT02B, I wonder if the fronts will be long enough for the TF though. I may look into using the TRF shafts as well, that sounds like an inexpensive way to improve the cheapo kit shocks.

Apparently the fronts are too short and two sets of rears are needed. No experience of this just what kept coming up when I was researching.