backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

This for my Top-Force project

8EE8D51C-255E-4111-85D0-2540D3A94260_zps

picture borrowed form Tony’s Tamiya parts, who I bought it from. 

• Like 2

On 5/15/2018 at 9:21 PM, SurreyDad said:

Cheers @Man1c M0nk3y, there were quite reasonable from RCMart, especially as I have recycled the old shocks. I followed the advice in ALEXKYRIAK's Racing Fighter Build regarding the o-ring trick to shorten the travel of the pistons (as well as all the other DT-03 builds). The shocks were a real pleasure to make and feel so smooth with absolutely no stiction at all. I just used some green slime, the supplied damper oil and the stock springs which I believe are medium.

The lower arm mount did have the plastic bushes in and it all feels pretty solid.

This was the first car I built and I went completely box art so the one remaining thing I want to do is to get a new bodyshell and come up with something new to tie in the blue and black. I'm happy with the Racing Fighter body, it's just tricky to find one at a reasonable price.

Looks like @ALEXKYRIAK just got unlucky with old stock then. 

At the minute I think all the DT03 shells are expensive. One of the reasons I went with something else tbh. 

The shocks will have to just stay on the wanted list for now unfortunately. Having ‘upgraded’ the stock cva’s to the hole(d) piston caps and polished the rods they feel much better than standard so they will suffice for now. Used green slime myself this time. Kids were well impressed when I said they have slime in them 😂 (slime is all the rage with young kids in the UK and I think US for anyone wondering). 

• Like 1

I've been keeping a tight purse string this month but the odd bargain has cropped up such as this:

D5lzFTG.jpg

Despite being made by Nikko and sporting perhaps the worst name ever given to an RC (Bobcat 99) it's actually a car of decent potential. The chassis is basically the old Dictator type but stretched out to 1/8 scale. It has double wishbones all round and a twin motor/gearbox 4x4 system very much like a Twin Detonator in concept. It all comes apart with a wrench and screwdriver and is incredibly easy to convert to hobby grade because it many ways it virtually is already.

I intend to mod it but I took it out for a spin earlier in stock form with the addition of a 2s lipo and it already goes along quite nicely and handles very well considering it currently has friction shocks. It only has 390 motors at the moment but it still accelerates pretty fiercely.  

It should be a fun little basher with a few cheap mods. Cheapie ebay ESC (£6) Hobbyking servo (£2.70) Flysky reciever (£3.70) 2x 540 motors (£not much)

Additionally I will remove the vomit inducing stickers, de- chrome the wheels and probably paint the canopy black too. I think the body shell, while a bit silly, will look much better in all black.

Not the most exciting car in the world but it's something different to play with in the same kind of performance league as a boomerang or similar.

I also got another cheap body shell for my Grasshopper. After spending a year or more being irate about the fact that a new shell costs half of what an entire kit does I have now managed to find two dirt cheap new shells in the space of a month. Now I can have a shelf queen shell, a pretty one for careful running/at the beach and then the one that looks like spat out chewing gum for everyday use.

• Like 3

Just curious, won't the little plastic pieces wear out and loosen up, creating slop? Or does the metal to metal wear quicker?

2 hours ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Looks like @ALEXKYRIAK just got unlucky with old stock then. 

At the minute I think all the DT03 shells are expensive. One of the reasons I went with something else tbh. 

The shocks will have to just stay on the wanted list for now unfortunately. Having ‘upgraded’ the stock cva’s to the hole(d) piston caps and polished the rods they feel much better than standard so they will suffice for now. Used green slime myself this time. Kids were well impressed when I said they have slime in them 😂 (slime is all the rage with young kids in the UK and I think US for anyone wondering). 

3 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

I've been keeping a tight purse string this month but the odd bargain has cropped up such as this:

D5lzFTG.jpg

Despite being made by Nikko and sporting perhaps the worst name ever given to an RC (Bobcat 99) it's actually a car of decent potential. The chassis is basically the old Dictator type but stretched out to 1/8 scale. It has double wishbones all round and a twin motor/gearbox 4x4 system very much like a Twin Detonator in concept.

I intend to mod it but I took it out for a spin earlier in stock form with the addition of a 2s lipo and it already goes along quite nicely and handles very well considering it currently has friction shocks. It only has 390 motors at the moment but it still accelerates pretty fiercely.  

It should be a fun little basher with a few cheap mods. Cheapie ebay ESC (£6) Hobbyking servo (£2.70) Flysky reciever (£3.70) 2x 540 motors (£not much)

Additionally I will remove the vomit inducing stickers, de- chrome the wheels and probably paint the canopy black too. I think the body shell, while a bit silly, will look much better in all black.

Not the most exciting car in the world but it's something different to play with in the same kind of performance league as a boomerang or similar.

Bobcat 99 is a better name than Zahhak, and the stickers are better too. 😀 Looks like a nice project, do you plan on making a thread about it?

5 minutes ago, Biz73 said:

Bobcat 99 is a better name than Zahhak, and the stickers are better too. 😀 Looks like a nice project, do you plan on making a thread about it?

I have a couple of these later "Dictator on steroids" versions (funnily enough, one of them has dragons in the artwork like the Zahhak) so I might make a thread about all of them and any mods I do to them.

The "fur" on the stickers used to be bright pink but they have been sun faded. I was almost tempted to keep them on because they are unique but I'm not sure I can bear to keep them lol.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Biz73 said:

Just curious, won't the little plastic pieces wear out and loosen up, creating slop? Or does the metal to metal wear quicker?

I have no idea tbh. I just noticed the difference when I received mine. 

I can see your view though and imagine they will indeed wear over time. When they do though I guess they’ll be no ‘worse’ than the original batch without them fitted. 

Umm not official but best I can find for my F102 FW14 project. 😉

41471821894_ef22c1cf85_h.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Matt_G40 said:

Umm not official but best I can find for my F102 FW14 project. 😉

41471821894_ef22c1cf85_h.jpg

I used the FW14 MCI decals on my GHII brushless build and was SUPER happy with them! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWarty said:

I used the FW14 MCI decals on my GHII brushless build and was SUPER happy with them! 

Good to hear! my first set from MCI but my brother got a custom set made for one of his Top Forces and they look great.

• Like 1

Got a Sand Scorcher kit today from my LHS.  Stoked to finally have this kit.  My first RC was a hand me down Rough Rider I got when I was ten from a family friend, so I'm looking forward to building this chassis and taking a stroll down memory lane. 

27325454827_3912b2f488_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

• Like 13

9 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

Got a Sand Scorcher kit today from my LHS.  Stoked to finally have this kit.  My first RC was a hand me down Rough Rider I got when I was ten from a family friend, so I'm looking forward to building this chassis and taking a stroll down memory lane. 

27325454827_3912b2f488_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

Enjoy it 😃. They are a lot of fun, I would like to get another before the years out. Taking the time to sand out the mound lines on the wheel arches is worth the effort too. 👍🏻

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Enjoy it 😃. They are a lot of fun, I would like to get another before the years out. Taking the time to sand out the mound lines on the wheel arches is worth the effort too. 👍🏻

This is my first brand new kit with a hard body and not lexan.  I'm going to really take my time on it and enjoy it!

Had to get a new receiver for my MF01X Jimny after putting it in the TT02R.  Trying to get the MF01X steering sorted out too.  The stock servo saver had a lot of movement, so I'm going with the Hi-Torque saver and M03/04 arm.  I've previously super-glued the stock saver but I decided to try this out.

G763kqO.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blista said:

Had to get a new receiver for my MF01X Jimny after putting it in the TT02R.  Trying to get the MF01X steering sorted out too.  The stock servo saver had a lot of movement, so I'm going with the Hi-Torque saver and M03/04 arm.  I've previously super-glued the stock saver but I decided to try this out.

G763kqO.jpg

Where is that order from? Just wondering the best place you found for Futaba rx

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Where is that order from? Just wondering the best place you found for Futaba rx

RC Mart.  I get almost everything from there, although I've never had to send anything back so I can't say how well they handle any problems.

These beauties came today, supplied by Shapeways, designed by @ThunderDragonCy

They only weigh as much as 2.5 feathers and feel tough as old boots. I'll post the fitting in my DT03 Wannabe MS TRF thread. 😁

vkqwtWk.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Blista said:

RC Mart.  I get almost everything from there, although I've never had to send anything back so I can't say how well they handle any problems.

Thanks, I've bought a lot from them too. I had to send back a faulty motor and it was all fine, they asked for a video to show the fault and then there were no questions, it was all done. My only gripe is I had to pay for the return shipping which annoyed me as it wasn't my fault

These arrived today,

I didn't need 2, but they had 2.. where they are bargain? not really. however they where good value considering they included the TL01LA Sway bar kit (very rare), the stainless hinge pin kit and the adjustable upper arm kit. 

I looked at buying all the parts separate and this was alot better value despite paying a fairly high price. (although it was just the standard original retail price for that store, which would explain why they still had them.) 

Most of you will know these fit WR02, GF01, G601, TL01, FF02,WT-01 and others, also fits M03/4/5/6 to widen to 190mm. It's essentially TB Evo 2 suspension, just the arms are about 4mm shorter as the TB evo has a narrower diff housing.

Pretty happy with the score! 

IMG_5286.jpg

• Like 3

Okay so it's a little extravagant for a basher but I've been eyeing one of these for ages. I'm really intrigued to see how much 30 years of development separates this K2 from my Cat XLS Masami. The great price at Modelsport (£229) finally tipped me over the edge, fingers crossed its easier to build than the XLS... 

DSC_0021.JPG

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Grotty Otty said:

Okay so it's a little extravagant for a basher but I've been eyeing one of these for ages. I'm really intrigued to see how much 30 years of development separates this K2 from my Cat XLS Masami. The great price at Modelsport (£229) finally tipped me over the edge, fingers crossed its easier to build than the XLS... 

DSC_0021.JPG

Lovely kit to build, one massive tip, pay very close attention to the length of the captive ball joints whenever you get to the stages where you need to fit them. There are three lengths and it's very important that you fit the right one in the right place! You'll come across them first at step 10.

A beautiful DN01 courtesy of @Axeboy. Thanks dude. You are a Gentleman. Completely ready to roll including radio.

20180523_193146

Got a Deans plug on the ESC and I trimmed and drilled some extra holes the Azarashi Quaracca body I got a while ago for my DT03. It fits beautifully and I used the spare wing from he bodyset too. So chuffed with it. Looks mega. 

20180523_19424420180523_194255

Gave it a quick run in the street and it works great. I'm excited to get it to my usual field to give it some space to run and start dialing in the setup for where I run.

• Like 10

Drooool! I want one now....! That actually looks like a really interesting chassis and set up. Loving the Tamiya stickers and that shell also. 

• Like 2