backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

1 hour ago, graemevw said:

Whats better than one black porsche?

One black Avante. :P

lp2fcZO.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Today my fender fares for my bruiser turned up they seem to be good quality esp as they came from china and only cost £10 inc del.

i think i may paint them to match the shell 

IMG_20190110_190048.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some raw cast alloy mirrors for one of my Vintage Scorchers

46693333691_a0b7d8f0eb_b.jpg

The one on the left is after 5 minute with a file, these should polish up nicely 👌🏻

46693333681_0b5695272c_b.jpg

• Like 4

My rebuilt and modded Sand Scorcher arrived back from Turnip last night.

Looks fantastic, very happy and humbled by TJF’s time, patience and generorosity. 

Home late and out early today so will post some pictures at the weekend! 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

The tool arrived today, the uprights arrived yesterday.

CCC275FB-FAD2-42B5-BAA4-21794E7BB7D4.jpeg

Tamiya do a tapping tool !?!  All these hop ups I didn’t even know existed where does one go to find the extensive list of such things??

I’m in the mist of either going oldfrogshot mod on a ORV, or MIP Diff (if I can find one). I was going to check out an auto store for a tapping tool on the way home today but got side tracked. 

I've had 2 deliveries this week but am not at home to get themand won't be home for another week. Banggood said my FS-i6 would ship on 8th Jan as they were out of stock on the extra rx I added to the order, but that arrived today. Also my new Surpass V4S and replacement sensor board arrived on Thursday. A friend has hopefully collected them for me...why do they decide to have super fast shipping when china apparently shuts down for the month and I am away?

2 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Tamiya do a tapping tool !?!  All these hop ups I didn’t even know existed where does one go to find the extensive list of such things??

I’m in the mist of either going oldfrogshot mod on a ORV, or MIP Diff (if I can find one). I was going to check out an auto store for a tapping tool on the way home today but got side tracked. 

I don't know of a complete list I'm sure there will be one though.

As for me finding the tool... Someone else mentioned on here that they had one so I ebay searched for it.

• Thanks 1

Surprise! More bodies. Aside from the Audi, there's Focus WRC 03, Xsara WRC, Hyundai i20 WRC and the bare one is a bit of a unicorn...

goodies-12-jan-2019.jpg

An undrilled Celica WRC ST185 (Castrol, Repsol). I've no idea how this happened as the vintage ones are all drilled, as is the DF-03 re-re and 92202 body set. A friend mentioned he'd had some undrilled bodies which were factory discarded seconds but I can't see anything wrong with this.

castrol-celica-undrilled.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

I don't know of a complete list I'm sure there will be one though.

As for me finding the tool... Someone else mentioned on here that they had one so I ebay searched for it.

@Re-Bugged, here’s a list from the Tamiya UK website.

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/craft_tool/kit74001.htm

That tool is listed as required in my TB-05 manual. That was meant to be my winter build this year but I’ve yet to buy the tool...

• Thanks 1

One of these:

1073933034_AnytimeBabyT-shirt.thumb.jpg.2085f1834dd9a2925c63d428ccd0f2ca.jpg

Plus a set of white Tamiya star dish 2WD front wheels to replace the set of star dish 4WD fronts I ordered by accident.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

It's not a thread tapping tool. It's a thread forming tool. There is a difference between the 2.

I@Re-Bugged

What is the difference ?

Looks like a very expensive thread tapping tool to me.

Tamiya USA website even calls it a thread forming tap. 

5 minutes ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

What is the difference ?

Looks like a very expensive thread tapping tool to me.

Tamiya USA website even calls it a thread forming tap. 

Cutting Taps vs. Forming Taps 

The two threading methods tap holes differently, but they also have a handful of other differences, starting with the type of thread each method produces.  Cutting taps are more versatile than forming taps and can be used with more materials. When machinists use forming taps, they can only use the process on aluminum, soft steel and nonferrous metals. But machinists aren’t limited to the materials when they decide to cut taps.  Cutting taps also have the upperhand regarding horsepower, as this threading method requires less power than forming taps.  Many machinists agree that formed threads are stronger than cut threads, according to Balax. Formed threads are stronger because the grain flow of materials is compressed at the crest and root of the thread form. Compare that to cut threads, which because of the tools used, cause grain structure to essentially fracture.  Also, formed taps have a longer life, as they last about three to 20 times longer than cut taps.     Cutting taps and forming taps both have benefits and limitations from stronger threads to greater compatibility. But it’s the machinist who decides which tapping style to use depending on the job at hand.

For machine use thread cutting and forming but the same thing when used by hand

• Thanks 1

Plastic parts from a kit stripper in USA. These will give me inner fenders for the TRX4 Sport

45800099235_5488da68a7_b.jpg

Got hit by customs charges so not happy. £6 tax and £8 Royal Mail stealth tax

• Like 2

Should be getting my Lunchbox rear suspension mount today so i can finally see if these shocks will work

Also got my blades for my Tamiya Kraft tool that wont be here till Feb lol

knifeblades.thumb.jpg.7517479f701e859bb46cef0da80cc635.jpg

2 hours ago, martinjpayne said:

I’m refusing to pay the amount they want for one. I’ll make it fit into a tool I’ve got at home.

So my rear mount, front CRP FX-10 kit and my new fream replacements for my beetle showed so i am gonna be busy lol

8 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

I’m refusing to pay the amount they want for one. I’ll make it fit into a tool I’ve got at home.

Any tap handle should do. You can get a ratchet one on eBay for about £4

52 minutes ago, Nobbi1977 said:

Any tap handle should do. You can get a ratchet one on eBay for about £4

Im sure ive got one in a tap and die set hiding in the cupboard

• Thanks 1