backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

got a few things over the week or so:

a Cam Am Lola parts lot :D

A used Cam Am Lola body, that after shipping and then conversion rates from USD to AUD didn't turn out to be the bargained I'd hoped for :blink:

I think I am missing just a couple of bits for the gearbox and the rear wing and it should be pretty much complete (decals I will make my myself)

My Blackfoot arrived :D

And a speeding ticket :(

recent-purchases-11.jpg

recent-purchases-12.jpg

recent-purchases-13.jpg

• Like 6

I went on a bit of a spree this past Christmas, went on holiday for a while, and all this was waiting for me when I got back. I found the BMW in a South African hobby shop while there and stuffed it in my overweight luggage for the trip home.

_DSC4886.jpg

_DSC4892.jpg

_DSC4896.jpg

_DSC4897.jpg

_DSC4900.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Zxkuqyb said:

I went on a bit of a spree this past Christmas, went on holiday for a while, and all this was waiting for me when I got back. I found the BMW in a South African hobby shop while there and stuffed it in my overweight luggage for the trip home.

_DSC4886.jpg

_DSC4892.jpg

_DSC4896.jpg

_DSC4897.jpg

_DSC4900.jpg

Guess the holiday wasn’t the most expensive here 😀

• Haha 2

Just a new mechanism box for my Super Hotshot and a Hobbywing 1060 to go in it. The old 20 year old Nosram doesn't seem to be able to power the servo sufficiently anymore sadly. I'd also tried to convert it to a M-06 steering link set up.. unsuccessfully obviously! 

• Like 1

Well I originally set forth to purchase a Top Force but they had one of these left. I prefer trucks and couldn't resist. It was also $130 before tax cheaper. Sourced locally, so happy about that as well. The Top Force will have to wait.

Stadium Blitzer.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Sweet FA is what I got. Useless UPS delivery driver decided off his own back to drop my parcel off at a drop off point several miles away and then not actually bother to update the system to say anything other than delivered. 

Far too long spent on the phone but told not an awful lot and the promise of a call within the hour with information on what’s what. 

By the time they rang back to say it was at a drop off point I couldn’t be bothered to go and get it in rush hour traffic.

Apparently the driver will be re-briefed on doing his job properly. I won’t hild my breath.

At least it was found.

Today was my last day off as well so no tinkering for me for a few days now 🙄

• Sad 2

Today I got back my beautifully restored  TA01 from @TurnipJF... it looks like different car, in fact, it might well be, in that case.... Turnip I want my old car back out of principle!

Thank you.

Everything looks brand new, and I've learned a masterclass in cable management and how to neatly fit electronics.. looks better than some XB models I've owned, superb!

I chucked some batteries in and it whizzes around like a good un, the alloy prop shaft rattles a bit back n forth between the cups making an awful chatter  when floored, so I'll look to put some o rings in to take up the slack ;)

Pictures to follow tomorrow I've just finished a long day and am old n tired!

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

the alloy prop shaft rattles a bit back n forth between the cups making an awful chatter  when floored, so I'll look to put some o rings in to take up the slack ;)

If it’s the Yeah Racing one it’ll be the same as what’s in the TF I’m building for girls. Couple of 3mm black O-Rings did the trick, however it’s tight and I’ve not sorted electrics yet so not sure if too tight. Probably not an issue, just an observation. Maybe try one first depending on thickness, I know I’m tempted to pop one back out and see the difference as I can’t recall whether the prop seemed to rotate easier before the o-rings went in. Equally it could all be in my head!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, yogi-bear said:

got a few things over the week or so:

a Cam Am Lola parts lot :D

A used Cam Am Lola body, that after shipping and then conversion rates from USD to AUD didn't turn out to be the bargained I'd hoped for :blink:

I think I am missing just a couple of bits for the gearbox and the rear wing and it should be pretty much complete (decals I will make my myself)

My Blackfoot arrived :D

And a speeding ticket :(

recent-purchases-11.jpg

recent-purchases-12.jpg

recent-purchases-13.jpg

Love those can am lolas. Will there be a build thread?

36 minutes ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

If it’s the Yeah Racing one it’ll be the same as what’s in the TF I’m building for girls. Couple of 3mm black O-Rings did the trick, however it’s tight and I’ve not sorted electrics yet so not sure if too tight. Probably not an issue, just an observation. Maybe try one first depending on thickness, I know I’m tempted to pop one back out and see the difference as I can’t recall whether the prop seemed to rotate easier before the o-rings went in. Equally it could all be in my head!

Yes it's the same, thanks for the heads up... I might find some smaller foam offcuts n try that if it gets too tight

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zxkuqyb said:

_DSC4892.jpg

I had no idea the toyota LMP car had been released yet!

Must............resist....... 

11 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Yes it's the same, thanks for the heads up... I might find some smaller foam offcuts n try that if it gets too tight

I noticed the propshaft play during installation, and tried some o-ring experiments to see if they would help. I found that even one soft red o-ring made things too tight, as you want some play to allow for chassis flex, especially on a rally car which might see the odd jump and therefore flex more than a TC would. 

Small foam offcuts would be better. If I'd had any of those little round pieces of red foam used in TB-03 diff outdrives for example, I'd have tried those.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

I had no idea the toyota LMP car had been released yet!

Must............resist....... 

"You know you want to," I said in an attempt to put off my own urges to buy the example in my local hobby shop and settle for living my Toyota LMP experiences through you :P

I saw it again, and I know for sure I cannot afford it now, because the postman went to my hobby shop to drop off a very special package that I picked up today:

ckec0.jpg

Now to think about what I want for Christmas 2020 - maybe a Toyota TS050? :D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Grastens said:

"You know you want to," I said in an attempt to put off my own urges to buy the example in my local hobby shop and settle for living my Toyota LMP experiences through you :P

I saw it again, and I know for sure I cannot afford it now, because the postman went to my hobby shop to drop off a very special package that I picked up today:

ckec0.jpg

Now to think about what I want for Christmas 2020 - maybe a Toyota TS050? :D

Bruiser build thread?

6 hours ago, graemevw said:

Love those can am lolas. Will there be a build thread?

one day, but it's not high on my list at the moment.

23 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Bruiser build thread?

It's inevitable! I hope my regular thread style can cover a build of this magnitude - the fun will be in finding out!

Edit: and now you shall find one over in the Builds forum!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

the alloy prop shaft rattles a bit back n forth between the cups making an awful chatter  when floored, so I'll look to put some o rings in to take up the slack ;)

Hi Jason,  if you can be bothered taking off the gear covers and removing the shaft and cups try this:  Yes an O'ring or neoprene bushing but then heat shrink over the cups. Use smaller diameter heat shrink onto the prop shaft first so the larger diameter heat shrink can go over both before you drop the whole lot back in.  It works like a boot and keeps dirt out too.  I should post this as Ghetto mod, it's a great fix and stops the cups from wearing out as they normally do.

Brat200113020Medium_zpsb89d506d.jpgBrat200113021Medium_zps3c1f0304.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

55 minutes ago, Thommo said:

Hi Jason,  if you can be bothered taking off the gear covers and removing the shaft and cups try this:  Yes an O'ring or two but then heat shrink over the cups. Use smaller diameter heat shrink onto the prop shaft first so the larger diameter heat shrink can go over both before you drop the whole lot back in.  It works like a boot and keeps dirt out too.  I should post this as Ghetto mod, it's a great fix.

Brat200113020Medium_zpsb89d506d.jpgBrat200113021Medium_zps3c1f0304.jpg

Great idea, bests the clear sellotape I was thinking of too... 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

Great idea, bests the clear sellotape I was thinking of too... 

Wish I'd thought of that before sending the car back - I have some heatshrink that would have been ideal... :(

• Haha 1

Got some tyres from rcmart delivered today

Sweep 24mm *4 and a set of Tamiya Racking Slicks. A while ago I scored 14 pairs of touring cars on ebay extra cheap and have gotten back into running some touring cars at the local netball courts. Hopefully now I will have some traction.

• Like 1