backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

On 4/10/2019 at 7:54 PM, Proxik said:

My first Tamiya arrived! Not much but Im really excited, hopefully one of many other tamiyas to come (my wish list is filling at quite a pace)

469590A0-4662-421F-82B3-E73DC6C1D6DC.jpeg

The Neo is a super sweet rig and there are some cool hop ups available.

One thing i will recommend. Get a low profile servo. A normal standard servo will usually hit the body and eventually rub through the paint.

Absolutely nothing :(

expecting a few bits to be delivered from Modelsport to my local "Argos in Sainsbury's" (ordered through eBay) for me to collect.

the courier, DPD, apparently unsuccessfully attempted delivery at 10.10am. Going on to DPD live chat they tell me it couldn't be delivered because the store was closed.

Sainsbury's closed at 10am? I don't think so.

• Sad 1

A new Absima CR2S V2 RX/TX for either the DT03 or the GF01 depending how big in hand it was as it’s for the youngest. 

Seems ok. Obviously not as fancy as the Futaba I have but for the kids should suffice.

Its sadly a little too big for her to comfortably use though for now, so it’ll be going in the DT03 and the Futaba 3PV will go with the GF01 as that’s smaller and more comfortable for her. 

Ultimately though it scuppers my plans to remove the Futaba from the cars the kids use and make it just ‘mine’ as I was hoping the Absima would be ok for her then I’d get another one for the other daughters car.  Just means for now at least it’s either the DT03 and GF01 out to play or the Cougar when finished instead of the GF01. 

32 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Man1c M0nk3y How are you finding the GF01? I have been hanging my nose over a Heavy Dump Truck to have as something pure fun

Beyond whizzing around the living room testing it I haven’t finished it. The RX/TX was the last piece to arrive and I need to sort body out. Just been snowed under with work/house. 

From the little play around the house though it looks a fun little thing. Pops wheelies for fun and feel rock solid. Perfect for the youngest who it was intended for. 

Think in the confined space of the house at least that the Torque Tuned is almost too much and had to turn the throttle down to 75% and even at that it was still nippy and popping it’s front end.

Simple but fun build too. Admittedly got a bit carried away on the hop-ups mind!

Looks tiny against the Aqroshot but equally looks like if the hit head on the Aqroshot would probably lose!

Ill get some pics up when it’s finished but for pure silliness and fun I reckon it’ll perfectly meet that intention. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DK308 said:

The Neo is a super sweet rig and there are some cool hop ups available.

One thing i will recommend. Get a low profile servo. A normal standard servo will usually hit the body and eventually rub through the paint.

Oh thanks, will look into it!

Well after giving DPD some grief, and then getting Modelsport to give them some grief, the parcel was suddenly delivered today after all.

Although they did manage to deliver it to Sainsbury's rather than the Argos in Sainsbury's, so even after 3 hours I hadn't received the collection code. It took another call, to Argos, for someone to go and actually find the parcel.

Too late for me to collect today, but at least it has been found and I can get it tomorrow.

In other news, I bought a secondhand ESC from someone on Facebook. That package turned up today but instead of the ESC it contains a motor the chap was also selling. The guy expecting a motor has received my ESC instead.

A Bigwig, matching paint, servo, Rx, bearings...

Dunno about your part of the world, but around here there's a very long weekend coming up, and since I always thought the Bigwig was a bit of an easter egg, it seemed perfect for the occasion. Plus, it is the only re-re buggy I haven't built yet, or the last one I'm going to build, depends on how you look at it, until Tamiya re-releases some more, so a major christian holiday four-day weekend suits the occasion just fine, too. 

Now that I think about it, why did I only buy ONE kit?!

DSC_2712

• Like 4

This looks perfectly square. You could fit a cab to either end... Or one to each. :huh:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, S-PCS said:

This looks perfectly square. You could fit a cab to either end... Or one to each. :huh:

Ha ha - don't you start giving me crazy ideas too!

;o)

Jx

1 hour ago, S-PCS said:

A Bigwig, matching paint, servo, Rx, bearings...

Dunno about your part of the world, but around here there's a very long weekend coming up, and since I always thought the Bigwig was a bit of an easter egg, it seemed perfect for the occasion. Plus, it is the only re-re buggy I haven't built yet, or the last one I'm going to build, depends on how you look at it, until Tamiya re-releases some more, so a major christian holiday four-day weekend suits the occasion just fine, too. 

Now that I think about it, why did I only buy ONE kit?!

DSC_2712

In the 80's, I didn't care for the look of it.  It had looked ugly to me.  Now I quite like it.  Bigwig is an acquired taste, I guess.  I thought PS-4 was a bit too dark for my personal taste. I matched the color with the shock tower color, which was closer to violet blue. (I wish Tamiya had sky-blue that's just brighter than PS4...)  

Theoretically, four shocks should make it one of the best in the Hot Shot family (along with Super Shotshot).  But many would also point to Boomerang for that honor. (looking at you, Mr. @Jonathon Gillham)  Frankly, I had preferred Boomerang's look over Bigwig's. Now that Bigwig has grown on me, I don't know which look I prefer.  (I need to restore the used Boomerang so I can compare them side to side).  

Since you have all other re-res, you can weigh in on which one performs better. (not that it matters...it's all in the popular and populous Hotshot family.)  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Juggular said:

In the 80's, I didn't care for the look of it.  It had looked ugly to me.  Now I quite like it.  Bigwig is an acquired taste, I guess.  I thought PS-4 was a bit too dark for my personal taste. I matched the color with the shock tower color, which was closer to violet blue. (I wish Tamiya had sky-blue that's just brighter than PS4...)  

Theoretically, four shocks should make it one of the best in the Hot Shot family (along with Super Shotshot).  But many would also point to Boomerang for that honor. (looking at you, Mr. @Jonathon Gillham)  Frankly, I had preferred Boomerang's look over Bigwig's. Now that Bigwig has grown on me, I don't know which look I prefer.  (I need to restore the used Boomerang so I can compare them side to side).  

Since you have all other re-res, you can weigh in on which one performs better. (not that it matters...it's all in the popular and populous Hotshot family.)  

I'm with you. The Bigwig has grown on me since I first saw one back in the day.

Now I actually really like how it looks.

For a blue that is brighter than PS-4, how about PS-30 Brilliant Blue?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Peter_B said:

I'm with you. The Bigwig has grown on me since I first saw one back in the day.

Now I actually really like how it looks.

For a blue that is brighter than PS-4, how about PS-30 Brilliant Blue?

Oh hey, another driver who acquired the weird taste of Bigwig!  I thought I was the only one.  

Yes, I was going to paint PS30 Brilliant Blue.  But personally, while PS4 blue felt clean (just dark), Brilliant Blue felt a bit dingy to me.  I was hoping it would be a PS4 + pure white mixed in.  But this color feels like PS4 with yellow mixed in it.  It's hard to explain what feels off to me (I'm sure it's just me).  I wanted the color shown on the top left tip of the lexan piece below.  Creamy, brilliant blue.  Maybe it was not bright enough for my expectation.  I would have called this "blue" and I would have called PS4 dark blue.  

u2rwqHz.jpg

I wanted below color to be "brilliant blue."  Compared to the above Lexan, below looks brilliant.  As far as I know, Tamiya doesn't offer this color.   

P2meHGC.jpg?3

PS3 comes close, but it's got a tint of green (aqua) in it.  It didn't feel right for Bigwig.  

avSmvCu.jpg

In the end, I went with Violet Blue (PS35).  For some reason, violet-blue felt "cleaner" to me.  And it's a shade brighter than PS4.  What's odd about color is that what looks good today might look terrible tomorrow.  In while, I might say "what on earth was I thinking?"  kCaGiac.jpg

Also, due to lighting, I could kinda see Tamiya's violet-blue in this 1:1 Porsche.  So I'd call it an adequate compromise...

0QpdTMF.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

A new buggy to build and use at the park.

IMG_0157

Beautiful!

I remember how much edge Kyosho (and AE) has over Tamiya in terms of quality and modified parts they have included as stock in their kits back in the mid-late 80s. Such were the Optima line, Ultima line, Scorpion line, RC10, and more. Parts like aluminum oil-filled adjustable shocks, adjustable turnbuckles, ball bearings, lots of aluminum parts and so much more. Tamiya would release their kits with either plastic bushings, plastic non-oil filled dampers, plastic non-adjustable suspension pieces. Tamiya only upped their game when the Avante came out. Then followed by the Egress, Astute and others were released with standard upgraded parts like ball diffs, full ball bearings, turnbuckles, and a few others. But still not as "complete" as their competitors. Back then, Tamiya's goal was to make money and didn't care about world championship titles. They sold those parts separately and make their consumers spend so much for upgrades. I was a still a student back then and hard earned my weekly allowance to buy parts. An 1150 size bearing cost $1 a piece and have to complete at least 8 of them for the Brat/Frog's wheel/shaft bearings.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

A new buggy to build and use at the park.

IMG_0157

This is one car I think looks too nice to drive... one of the few that I haven't seen bettered by going non box art.. they nailed the look from the start.

Hope you chuck some photos up along the way and a final running video... depending how long you take  (not too quickly lol) it might even give me time to persuade myself to buy this kit... one day!

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 2:00 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Man1c M0nk3y How are you finding the GF01? I have been hanging my nose over a Heavy Dump Truck to have as something pure fun

I love the gf-01, I have a heavy dump truck its a lot of fun to drive, its a wheelie machine not the most stable car but I love to drive it.

Mine is not stock, its got long arm suspension and proline badlands sct wheels, and gmade shocks and a castle 5700kv brushless motor in it.

• Like 1

M04's are taking over........ M04L Beetle (built but body needs painting) and M04M Giulia (kit to be built and body to be painted)

I just need to get a set of window masks for the M04L Beetle now ;p

mOv1fFd.jpg

L7LcYgU.jpg

L1eVR7r.jpg

• Like 9

Having finally tracked down my parcel yesterday, today I was able to get to Argos to collect it.

The contents:

A Bigwig kit - had half an eye on one for a while, finally decided to take the plunge. Good job I did, the price at Modelsport has gone up £20 since I ordered it.

A Core RC servo - for the BW. Same as I have in my Boomerang where it seems to do well.

Hobbywing Quicrun 10BL120 ESC

Speed Passion 13.5 MMM motor.

The motor was intended for the BW and the ESC for my Boomerang. Trouble is, after ordering I remembered I already had suitable bits on hand. I'm sure I'll find a use for them.

The last items are a pro transmission upgrade and alloy rocker upgrade ready for when (if) I build my Topcat kit.

• Like 3

Got a call from the local post office and picked these up today, a F104W and a 3Racing M4 (4WD M-chassis).  The F104W is a donor for a custom project; it's in the long-term queue.  Happy to do an abbreviated build thread on the M4 chassis if anyone is interested.

IMG_3946.JPG

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Got a call from the local post office and picked these up today, a F104W and a 3Racing M4 (4WD M-chassis).  The F104W is a donor for a custom project; it's in the long-term queue.  Happy to do an abbreviated build thread on the M4 chassis if anyone is interested.

IMG_3946.JPG

I’m intrigued by the 4WD M chassis and would welcome a build thread!

On 4/17/2019 at 10:15 PM, Juggular said:

In the 80's, I didn't care for the look of it.  It had looked ugly to me.  Now I quite like it.  Bigwig is an acquired taste, I guess. 

Theoretically, four shocks should make it one of the best in the Hot Shot family (along with Super Shotshot).  But many would also point to Boomerang for that honor.

Yeah, same here... As a kid, I felt it was just slightly over the top, just a bit too much styling and design, and I preferred the sleeker, simpler, meaner buggies. I'm not entirely sure about it now either, but I can and do accept it as a very important buggy in the historical Tamiya line-up. 

Really looking forward to see how it compares to the other HS family cars. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 12:06 PM, Juggular said:

.  In the end, I went with Violet Blue (PS35).  For some reason, violet-blue felt "cleaner" to me.  And it's a shade brighter than PS4.  What's odd about color is that what looks good today might look terrible tomorrow.  In while, I might say "what on earth was I thinking?"  kCaGiac.jpg

That blue is a great match to the shock towers too ;)

Maybe you could hit up MCI for some 'Juggular Customs' decals........just a thought.

• Haha 1