backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

8 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@nowinaminute How about a compromise? See if @rc-martin will get you his twin linkage shock rear end from Shapeways?

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/89318-3d-printed-hotshot-chassis/&do=findComment&comment=746528

Ahh yes I've seen those, very reminiscent of my Bandai Intercepter which of course adds to the appeal!

Some SRB wheel rim covers turned up potently for a Wild One I don't have yet.

I'm feeling a bit bad for the seller though as I'd ordered 2 sets but only sent 1. Second set is on its way though for a second Sand Scorcher that also don't have yet.

5VB76QAl.jpg 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

Some SRB wheel rim covers turned up potently for a Wild One I don't have yet.

I'm feeling a bit bad for the seller though as I'd ordered 2 sets but only sent 1. Second set is on its way though for a second Sand Scorcher that also don't have yet.

5VB76QAl.jpg 

Just to comment on the ordering of parts for cars you don't have.  I have that problem myself.  Recently bought a King Hauler to match the tractor truck oil shocks I had ordered previously!!  Always a good excuse to order a kit lol!

• Haha 2

I managed to damage the internal gears on my MF01X, so I thought I'd go for the Speed-Tuned set instead over stock. I learnt the hard way that bad pinion mesh alignment can cause issues! Looks like pinion position on the motor itself needs to be slightly different to stock too, as the spur gear mesh doesn't cover the entire piece (if you see what I mean).

DYy3JyQ.jpg

IMG_1395.JPG.757db6a68639f4a3edd01f8e1457671a.JPGIMG_1396.JPG.79a03e3b7a3acabf611079a09e6d392c.JPGIMG_1397.JPG.ba1a2bfcbefce6cabd52972e9c1eac07.JPGIMG_1398.JPG.91958fd863187d2420465dabbb1451f5.JPG

Well UPS actually, though the less said about UPS the better. Shapeways on the other hand have been fantastic. Product is way better than I would have produced and delivered 2 weeks early!!

• Like 7

Some more trinkets from Stellamodels, (incl freebie) :wub:

2H0qEDP.jpg

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, speedy_w_beans said:

The postman brought me something to cut some FRP, carbon fiber, and nylon with (hopefully!)...

What do you use to create templates and program it? 

Does it just cut flat sheet?

35 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

What do you use to create templates and program it? 

Does it just cut flat sheet?

My expectation is to use the same design tool I use for 3D printing, FreeCAD, but change the downstream flow.

• 3D printing flow:  FreeCAD (design) --> export STL mesh file --> Slic3r (layer slicer/gcode generator) --> export gcode machine file --> Marlin (3D printer machine firmware)
  • Engraver flow:  FreeCAD (design) --> CAM module in FreeCAD --> export gcode machine file --> Universal Gcode Sender (serial port file sender) --> GRBL (low-end CNC machine firmware)

All the software is free, so I've been spending small chunks on the machines just to learn and try things.  The printer is a really basic Tronxy X1 I paid $120 for; the engraver as you can see is a really basic $130 unit off eBay.  The Tronxy came with a few quality defects, and it took me probably twice the time expected to build it and set it up accurately (about 16 hours vs. 8 hours planned).  It wouldn't surprise me if this little engraver also took some extra time as I already see some of the edges of the aluminum extrusions are rough.  There's probably more filing/fitting/finishing/squaring needed than I first thought.

In theory it can cut more than flat sheet, but I think the collet and the length of the cutter realistically sets depth limitations.  I doubt I could cut more than 8-10 mm of depth with a 1 mm diameter cutter.  Fine for sheet material in the 2-3 mm range, and maybe even some nylon material up to 8-10 mm.  But I'm not going to oversell this -- just as parts made with home 3D printers take additional manual steps to finish nicely, I suspect anything I make with this will need some sanding or touch-up to finish the part.

Not a terrible price to pay, really.  It's this or a few TT/M kits, and these tools have a lot of replay value.

I was thinking about doing a build thread/review on this if anyone is interested; we could stick it in the TC Designs forum for posterity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2019 at 12:00 PM, tamiya3speed said:

Just to comment on the ordering of parts for cars you don't have.  I have that problem myself.  Recently bought a King Hauler to match the tractor truck oil shocks I had ordered previously!!  Always a good excuse to order a kit lol!

Some parts are just as exciting as a kit when they arrive 😁 and anything purchased before a kit is considered a ‘freebie’ when it’s fitted because you already had in stock. 

I also seem to find myself looking at Pole Trailers even though I don’t have a Truck to put it on.........yet. 

On 8/16/2019 at 10:23 PM, speedy_w_beans said:

The postman brought me something to cut some FRP, carbon fiber, and nylon with (hopefully!)...

That is on my shortlist (And a Creality 3D Printer, not sure about the model yet, most likely the Ender 3 Pro, not to mention some more important stuff... like a new re****erator).

As I mentioned in this thread, I regained interest in this hobby earlier this year, last thing I remember I wanted to buy was the 49400 Porsche, I missed out on that and these days they are too expensive for me, so I had to buy some other stuff to satisfy my needs...

Cars1.thumb.jpg.94fd2cdf953729f4bed863640d430cd1.jpgBodies1.thumb.jpg.aef1e3600996e26f77e318aff0767465.jpg

2x 58407 (Porsche 911 GT3 H+J Parts).

1x 9004371 (Porsche 911 GT2 H Parts).

1x 84431 (Bought at an auction site, possibly payed less than retail, cheapest I could find was €34 more, today it's at least €74 more).

1x 47362 (Just had to have one).

1x 84431 (Bought at an auction site, bought it for parts, unfortunately it's missing the mirrors and aluminum motor mount, but it's newly build, about half the price of the one I bought NIB and the seller has been very generous, helpful and polite, so no complaints there).

1x 1825588 (Skyline GTR R33 Undrilled).

2x 1825148 (Porsche 911 GT2 993).

1x Lamborghini XB body with wheels and light unit (Probably payed a bit too much, but I just had to have one, as a kid I always wanted a 58008 and...).

1x iMAX B6AC v2.

1x 51365 (Nissan GT-R R32 Undrilled)

1x 51514 (BMW M3 Sport Evo Jagermeister Undrilled)

3 servos and another 9004371 Porsche 911 GT2 H Parts

• Like 4

kuhfarben-box.jpg

Not what's in the box, the actual box!

I ordered some custom sized double wall boxes, just the right size for a TT-0x sized kit box with a bit of bubble wrap, or for sending body sets. Every time I sold something it was a pain finding a box that was usually slightly too small, or having to spend ages doing cardboard surgery to cut a larger one to size.

Also custom printed packing tape for the finishing touch.

• Like 9

Today I received some 50591 ball collars to replace the stock "top hat" shock bushings on my Thunder Shot when I fit a 4-shock setup. 

This reduces slop on my shocks, and frees up the top hats for use on the stock Thunder Shot I am rebuilding for my colleague. 

• Like 1

Sooooo, I’ve been contemplating modifying my Group C chassis to fit a touring car body to it, however I was also aware that it was easier to modify an F103GT to achieve the required wheelbase. I just couldn’t justify the cost of buying a kit. Anyway I eventually had a word with myself and bought the kit :) 

2DE8E350-704F-49C8-8D1F-EC1459F12290_zps

3830FF0A-094B-436B-AEDA-4E91A95A150C_zps

• Like 8

This turned up a lot sooner than I expected as it was shipped from abroad, but it only took 2 days.:)

I have been searching for one of these quite frequently for a "reasonable price" the past 4 months or so.

When the package arrived I wasn't sure what to expect as the pictures in the listing didn't match the title and the description, and there were some other things that made me wonder what was being sold, so I had a quick look in the sellers store to see if the item that was in the pictures was also being sold, and that seemed to be the case, so I clicked the "Buy It Now" button right away, assuming the pictures had to be wrong.

The fact that it was listed since August 9 (bought it August 17) and the low price also made me wonder what was being sold, but I didn't bother to ask the seller as he/she was probably away (In the store it said something like "No shipping from August 10 to August 19"), not to mention that the last time I found one for a "somewhat reasonable price" (I believe about 68 GBP + shipping, which would've been about €100 in total at the time) it was sold within a couple of hours... Back then I was too stupid to read the description properly, I misread or overlooked it or maybe it was edited, anyhow it wasn't clear to me what was or wasn't included so I did a search to see if the other parts were still available separately and how much they were, meanwhile the body was sold and I noticed that the description said that it came with all parts... right know I'm glad I didn't read the description properly:

TAMR8-2.jpg.942f0e3d0446bd090cc247ea4cb8542b.jpg

€46,90 isn't that bad huh? Well I actually paid €40,44 including shipping :D

TAMR8.jpg.99455c1c96385544697099bbf647afa8.jpg

Not sure if all of these come undrilled, but this one is undrilled.

Sometimes you just have to be lucky... or stupid ;)

• Like 1

Arrived in the mail yesterday birthday gift from my wife can't wait to get started! 

20190821_173529.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Pintom said:

Arrived in the mail yesterday birthday gift from my wife can't wait to get started! 

20190821_173529.jpg

Enjoy your build👍 I've always had a soft spot for the Monster beetle from right back from the original to the 2015 all good to me

• Like 1

Postie dropped this off today! Paid a little more than I wanted to but it is new unused never been in a car and I suppose you pay for quality no matter how old it is! And I have no idea what car if any its going in:rolleyes:

20190822_230127.jpg

• Like 3