backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

On 10/5/2019 at 2:22 AM, Hairyjon313 said:

Managed to get a good deal on these four unused chassis, including a clio body shell. Planning to get the decals from mci. 

20191004_192127.jpg

Wow! You even have an unpainted Renault Clio body! Lucky you! :)

1 hour ago, Nicadraus said:

Wow! You even have an unpainted Renault Clio body! Lucky you! :)

I know. It was a little dirty but no cracks and fairly well cut. Just need the decals, cant bring myself to by the originals currently on ebay for over £100. 

On 9/28/2019 at 5:30 AM, Truck Norris said:

The company I work for in my day job is flippin' awesome and gives every employee £300 every year to spend on "personal improvement", which doesn't need to be work related, so learning a new skill or improving health etc. People have bought Drones, flying lessons, musical instruments. This year I decided it was about time I got an airbrush so mine went towards this:

airbrush-and-compressor-new.jpg

Sparmax TC-620X compressor, with Iwata HP-CS with optional 0.5mm needle and nozzle parts. Awesome service from https://www.air-craft.net Also shown are Lacquer Retarder, Lacquer Thinner and XF-3 Flat Yellow that I needed. The whole lot was just over £400, so £100 odd of my own money too.

I'm aware there's a learning curve with airbrushing but I have seven weeks holiday from said company this year, and four weeks still to take, which will help with that :D 

You mean you did all those shells without ever being side-tracked by airbrush?  

Well, you don't really need air brush for RC cars...  and it shows how mastery and tools are two different things.   

I, on the other hand, was side-tracked by airbrush long ago.  I thought it would make me cooler, shinier and sparklier and stuff...  Well, my forehead might be 2% shinier than before.  But I didn't get better in anything (other than spending money).  Recently, I've been thinking to get back on airbrush (for scale models).  So I dusted out my airbrush.  It's HP-C.  It's an ancient version of yours, but it works fine.  Itawa makes good stuff.  

It's a nice company if they give you money to spend on personal improvements.  Are you sure you need an "improvement" in this area?  From what I've seen, you didn't leave much to improve upon.  

wAEJyLV.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Well, you don't really need air brush for RC cars...  

Are you sure you need an "improvement" in this area?  From what I've seen, you didn't leave much to improve upon.  

Nice of you to say so! :)

For just doing lexan shells then no, there's no need. I do a lot of styrene stuff though - the interior sets, roll cages, and an increasing number of small parts like bonnet pins, electric cutoff switches etc. I don't like the finish from brush painting and using a can wastes a lot of paint.

I also want to be able to paint indoors through the winter (spray booth on the way) and it will also help with painting mixed colours like I need for the Hyundai i20 WRC.

Lastly, I'd like to try my hand at static models - I have a couple of 1/24 cars and I've just ordered the new 2019 release of the 1/12 Porsche 934 Jagermeister.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Truck Norris said:

new 2019 release of the 1/12 Porsche 934 Jagermeister

my first big Tamiya kit. Now I have a problem!!

This arrived this morning: Carbon TB-01 Propshaft.

The eBay TB-01 it is supposed to be going in remains conspicuous by its absence, however.

806714649_TB-01CarbonPropshaft600p.thumb.jpg.551cae225d242f7729d49e17a09a86ca.jpg

• Like 1

These both arrived today.

IMG_1514.JPG.19ce658b935bdd11475c9dbbe1f27181.JPG

Only balanced on for photos.

IMG_1515.JPG.857ea5f72f21ed59df71d6d7b704222b.JPG

and this for my CC01 chassis. Now I have to decide whether to leave it as it is or take the roof off etc. This kind of body is what I think Tamiya excel at. A plastic model that is radio controlled.

• Like 2

Jumping the gun, because I’m so excited, to share my latest RC purchase;

48871952557_80facfc99d_b.jpg

Still need servos, ESC, bearings, paint, battery and a some free time! :D

• Like 10

Got an HKS Skyline and a Top Force and 3 sets of Hi-caps. Happy days.

Also a licensed Bigfoot 18 decal set from JB scale graphics

• Like 2

With my Core rc radio starting to get a notable slow responce time and glitchy, I thought I'd treat myself, but not that much choice for sticks these days, hopefully fits the bill 🙄😁

2019-10-10_10-40-23

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

With my Core rc radio starting to get a notable slow responce time and glitchy, I thought I'd treat myself, but not that much choice for sticks these days, hopefully fits the bill 🙄😁

2019-10-10_10-40-23

You certainly have treated yourself!  Now will be the big test - will you notice any difference?  All the fast guys I know swear by Sanwa (and you know, peer pressure, I do too but the MT4S I got secondhand, not the M12 or M17) but I really wonder whether there is any difference between the decent radios.  I'm really interested to hear your feedback on the new radio (not that I can justify an upgrade any time soon, blown my budget for the rest of the year and still want to squeeze a HB D219 or Xray XT4 in somehow...)

• Haha 1

The postman brought me a Hotshot

Now I have to wait for  the super hotshot suspension parts and  gmade shocks that I have ordered.

IMG_7232.JPG

• Like 4

On 10/9/2019 at 2:26 AM, Juggular said:

You mean you did all those shells without ever being side-tracked by airbrush?  

Well, you don't really need air brush for RC cars...  and it shows how mastery and tools are two different things.   

I painted several RC bodies using airbrush. The nice thing about airbrush is that you can choose any color you wish. Mix them, shade them and do almost every painting trick. 

These are the bodies...

mX8cRvdh.jpg

CtREdsuh.jpg

YlC1hiYh.jpg

All painted with airbrush using polyurethane automotive paints. :)

• Like 3

Back from a work trip to find my 306 Maxi body has arrived. Here it is test fitting on my TA06

20191011_160012

Given it doesn't have pre-drilled holes like the original i think an FF03 might fit

20191011_160031

I think am going to get a chassis to run this on. Not going to race it, but i would like to run it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

I painted several RC bodies using airbrush. The nice thing about airbrush is that you can choose any color you wish. Mix them, shade them and do almost every painting trick. 

These are the bodies...

mX8cRvdh.jpg

CtREdsuh.jpg

YlC1hiYh.jpg

All painted with airbrush using polyurethane automotive paints. :)

Nice cars you have!  Including all the die-cast ones!  

How was automotive paints on lexan?  Durable enough not to chip away on minor impact?

12 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Now will be the big test - will you notice any difference?  All the fast guys I know swear by Sanwa

I've driven a couple of the guys cars with the Sanwa Exzes X, and its really nice to use. Felt much more direct, didn't realise how much of a time delay there is with the cheaper radios, but they where Team Associated cars. It could have been that my Core RC had been on the blink for a while and I've just not noticed.

Maybe going to be the end of November before I get to try it out in anger though 😥

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Nice cars you have!  Including all the die-cast ones!  

How was automotive paints on lexan?  Durable enough not to chip away on minor impact?

Polyurethane works well with the polycarbonate. Good in flexing too. That Yaris body has been to a battle rally race and have minor damages including 2 cracks in front and a small portion from the fender that parted but the paint is all fine and no chipping. Tomorrow will be another track race day. :)

• Like 3

Airbrush booth with LED lighting and external ducting, ABC Hobby 0.5mm panel line tape as the Kyosho 0.4mm I use hasn't been available anywhere for ages. Alfa 155 wheels, complete with £5.99 price labels (these were a lot more than that!)

booth-alfa-wheels.jpg

• Like 1

The Top Force arrived today, with the Hi Caps tucked inside the box.  They left the kit dampers in there too which somehow feels like a win even though I don't know what I'll do with them...

I've got one more order to go for the Top Force as is typical, no single store had everything in stock.  I also ordered it in a rush while I had the green light so didn't add the stuff from RCMart, so the last order is from the same shop as the kit.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

They left the kit dampers in there too which somehow feels like a win even though I don't know what I'll do with them...

Just in case you need some support, the answer is YES; you need another buggy that doesn't come with dampers.  

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Klausen said:

A few things for my TopForce.

4618B62B-FE4D-4341-A1AF-B5B7EFE0255B.jpeg

So a gear diff for your Top Force? What diff case do you need? Can you seal it and fill it with oil or is it open?

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 9:58 AM, geniusanthony said:

Also a licensed Bigfoot 18 decal set from JB scale graphics

Thanks for the info, hope you don’t mind If I order some for my Agrios?