backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

Acoms AP202 radio set, courtesy of TC member @dougan1963. This is I think the earliest release of this particular design, from the early 2000's - has AS12 servos, and comes in the polystyrene inner. It also shows a MSC in the user manual, which dates it back some way. Later ones had AS16 and then AS17 servos and different receivers, and a recycled cardboard inner. Good article on Tamiyabase setting out the evolution of the Acoms radio sets from 1978 on: https://tamiyabase.com/forum/11-technical/3503-acoms-2-channel-stick-radio-evolution

fullsizeoutput_5a3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5a6.jpeg

• Like 6

And here's another one. This actually arrived in May, but then got stored and forgotten about! Only opened today - it's a heavily upgraded new built TA04, pretty much TRF spec and with further upgrade parts. Condition is stunning! I'll do some proper pics and add to my showroom in due course  with a list of all the extras on it (edit: done that).

IMG_5365.JPG

• Like 13

On 10/2/2020 at 8:09 AM, Mirrorman said:

Well priced, and from a local hobby shop,  this Schumacher TOP CAT has arrived on the door step today.  

I do get the feeling I may have "bitten off much more than I can chew"  with this one though.   May just peer into the box sometimes , and leave the building for a while.  

TopCat_004.JPG

TopCat_005.JPG

Good luck!......to be honest it's a really good buggy but can be very challenging to build in places especially if you've only had tamiya rc's? not as challenging as the cat xls but once built it's superb to run!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, moffman said:

Good luck!......to be honest it's a really good buggy but can be very challenging to build in places especially if you've only had tamiya rc's? not as challenging as the cat xls but once built it's superb to run!

I liked the look of the Cat XLS Masami as well , but after watching some YT vids on the builds I backed away from that one for now. :blink:

I have more experience in building vintage 1:24th slot slots than Tamiya RCs.  The slot cars always require fettling to run correctly, so you never know that experience may help some with this build.  

32 minutes ago, Mirrorman said:

I liked the look of the Cat XLS Masami as well , but after watching some YT vids on the builds I backed away from that one for now. :blink:

I have more experience in building vintage 1:24th slot slots than Tamiya RCs.  The slot cars always require fettling to run correctly, so you never know that experience may help some with this build.  

Yeah definitely if you do the fettling on 1:24th then you'll have no problem! But what I was short of was not having extra pairs of hands! (You know like an octopus has tentacles) and I also had a trip to A&E after putting a very sharp screwdriver (ironically it was a schumacher screwdriver🙄) through my hand after trying to build the drive shafts and one actually snapped and I put them in boiling water to soften them up! But after its built it's still a lovely buggy!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Mirrorman said:

Sorry to read about the injury - the things we do for our hobbies. :o

It was painful and time consuming 5+ hours in A&E and stitches in the most awkward of places! you don't realise now much you need all your digits when doing the most simplistic of things? If I can give anyone who thinking of building these retro schumacher buggies a bit of advice! They are fantastic buggies but be very careful with the building of the drive shafts (and retaining c-clips on the bottom  of the shocks!!!)

• Like 1

On 12/6/2007 at 12:26 PM, Mad Ax said:

These just arrived from ebayer Tony's Tamiya Parts

post-16805-1196943941.jpg

Will be used on my current Grasshopper re-re project, attached to some nice lightweight black front wheels.

I love Tony's Tamiya Parts. Every order I have made comes super quick.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 10:51 AM, futureworks said:

Acoms AP202 radio set, courtesy of TC member @dougan1963. This is I think the earliest release of this particular design, from the early 2000's - has AS12 servos, and comes in the polystyrene inner. It also shows a MSC in the user manual, which dates it back some way. Later ones had AS16 and then AS17 servos and different receivers, and a recycled cardboard inner. Good article on Tamiyabase setting out the evolution of the Acoms radio sets from 1978 on: https://tamiyabase.com/forum/11-technical/3503-acoms-2-channel-stick-radio-evolution

fullsizeoutput_5a3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5a6.jpeg

I had a techniplus transmitter for the very first RC car. It was all chrome and had an old dial with the needle display. Wow that takes me back, great trany.

50424076528_b28c4b90ab_b.jpgmini buggy by Justin B, on Flickr

Thanks to Xray Mark for bringing this to my attention and CoolHands for the link. It's pretty fast in my small living room and I haven't even tried it on high speed.

• Like 2

I received bits and bobs for several of my cars today, in 3 separate packages. Funny story: One of the packages was a collection of 3 envelopes and a medium sized box (12cm x 20cm x 10cm). For this reason, my frieght forwarder decided to ship these 4 items in a bigger box (approx. 20cm x 45cm x 15cm, so a little bigger than the size of a Tamiya kit box). So essentially I paid to ship a kit-size box, containing a medium size box, containing FOUR TINY BRACKETS for my lunchbox and nothing else. You can see them in the little white baggies on the right in the picture. Also received today were (from left to right): 2 72mm titanium turnbuckles, 2 65mm titanium turnbuckles, because I needed a single turnbuckle for the M02 and they're only sold in pairs, and I wasn't sure about which size would work best. Also, 10mm shims for shimming the diff on the TB04R, a waterproof PowerHD servo for the XV01 build, steel suspension balls for the bits-a-build TT02 (lost the plastic ones), aluminum pulleys for the XV01, BMW Warsteiner sticker set for an idea I have in mind, TA05 reversible suspension arms (don't ask, I don't remember), black panel line paint, 2 of those Lunch Box brackets I was talking about, and finally a hobbystar brushless combo with program card for either the M07, the M08, or the non-existent M06. Phew! That was a mouthful!:

IMG-20201006-182544.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I received bits and bobs for several of my cars today, in 3 separate packages. Funny story: One of the packages was a collection of 3 envelopes and a medium sized box (12cm x 20cm x 10cm). For this reason, my frieght forwarder decided to ship these 4 items in a bigger box (approx. 20cm x 45cm x 15cm, so a little bigger than the size of a Tamiya kit box). So essentially I paid to ship a kit-size box, containing a medium size box, containing FOUR TINY BRACKETS for my lunchbox and nothing else. You can see them in the little white baggies on the right in the picture. Also received today were (from left to right): 2 72mm titanium turnbuckles, 2 65mm titanium turnbuckles, because I needed a single turnbuckle for the M02 and they're only sold in pairs, and I wasn't sure about which size would work best. Also, 10mm shims for shimming the diff on the TB04R, a waterproof PowerHD servo for the XV01 build, steel suspension balls for the bits-a-build TT02 (lost the plastic ones), aluminum pulleys for the XV01, BMW Warsteiner sticker set for an idea I have in mind, TA05 reversible suspension arms (don't ask, I don't remember), black panel line paint, 2 of those Lunch Box brackets I was talking about, and finally a hobbystar brushless combo with program card for either the M07, the M08, or the non-existent M06. Phew! That was a mouthful!:

IMG-20201006-182544.jpg

Nice haul :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A guy was selling some new unused M-chassis radials so I couldn't say no to having a spare set.

2gLcT0p.jpg

• Like 5

Played postie and picked these up from my LHS, this is only 2/3rds of the haul, some stuff he doubled up to put on the shelf and some stuff I will go back for.

Some of the stuff I wasn't going to purchase (needed other stuff that wasn't in stock to complete) but have it now so will have to get it elsewhere.

Also left some M05 parts there as I couldn't remember if it fit the M06 as well.

M05 V2 A parts

M05 one piece arm set

DF03 Heatsink

M03 A parts 

M Chassis Super Slicks x2

UGT Tuned motor

Tungsten ball set and ball plate (both for M02's TA03 Ball Diff set)

M05 Steering Link

M05 Racing Steering Set

TVEFFQ1.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, berman said:

Played postie and picked these up from my LHS, this is only 2/3rds of the haul, some stuff he doubled up to put on the shelf and some stuff I will go back for.

Some of the stuff I wasn't going to purchase (needed other stuff that wasn't in stock to complete) but have it now so will have to get it elsewhere.

Also left some M05 parts there as I couldn't remember if it fit the M06 as well.

M05 V2 A parts

M05 one piece arm set

DF03 Heatsink

M03 A parts 

M Chassis Super Slicks x2

UGT Tuned motor

Tungsten ball set and ball plate (both for M02's TA03 Ball Diff set)

M05 Steering Link

M05 Racing Steering Set

TVEFFQ1.jpg

How does the UGT motor compare to the Super Stock motors? 24T so should be close right?

On 10/5/2020 at 10:03 PM, Biz73 said:

50424076528_b28c4b90ab_b.jpgmini buggy by Justin B, on Flickr

Thanks to Xray Mark for bringing this to my attention and CoolHands for the link. It's pretty fast in my small living room and I haven't even tried it on high speed.

Good fun eh!?. I love mine. Need to be used on carpet really though or get softer tyres. As you powerful for wood floor in high speed mode. I would love to a race of these . 

8 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

How does the UGT motor compare to the Super Stock motors? 24T so should be close right?

No not close, it is only 1100rpm more and a bit more torque than a sport tuned. Also non rebuildable. Looks pretty though!

• Like 1

Some M07 short towers, diff oil for the XV01 and then a couple of things to make the postage worthwhile...:ph34r:

IMG_1750.jpg

Surprisingly small box all things considered.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

today arrived a job lot of vintage cat 2000 alloy transmission housing parts, incredibly rare, i only wanted one but ended up buying them all as the price was just too good to turn down!IMG_4447.jpg.3ec41225a690d777a44272897ae965e1.jpg

• Like 2