backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

2 hours ago, Matty36 said:

On my bodyshell with light fittings, I just masked the lights so they were clear and glued the fittings on the inside of the shell. I only had lexan clear light fittings, yours look better but may fit the same. The holes look like they are for the led lights with the clips to hold them in.

Thank you for the reply, I looked at them again yesterday and figured out some stuff with the help of YT. The small gap serves as a spacer for double sided tape, no lexan cutting needed. I don't think I will use any lights on it as I don't have some in stock and I'd like to keep it simple. I don't deny that it looks amazing if I did go ahead with it. There was some extra forms below the full lexan bumper that could be installed but I have not figured out what they are for. I will need some double sided tape for the popup lights.  painting this body might get a bit complicated as I plan to ignore the window rubber seals, it's all gonna be black paint anyway. Painting it primary black will save a bit of time with stickers.

My only regret is that there is no hood scoop to make it a Kyoko Iwase FD...

@Seanster43 I agree with you the price is very agreeable for the quality. It does make it hard the pick it out pricewise if you don't know which are cheap knock off and which are quality. I overlooked it at first being new to this and unsure of which brands were reliable.

On 11/24/2020 at 6:38 PM, Peter_B said:

This turned up today...

wq63I6voMmYmeLYZ0zS42Ge_0zCRjVdrl9MS-Rj5

A Mardave Cobra Evo. Number 3 of the first 50 kits sold.

Quoting the past here, but -what am I looking at? Must confess I know nothing about Mardave, but that looks absolutely brilliant! Is it a vintage kit? A re-re? Or is there actually a company of today giving the boot to the whole horrendous cab forward debacle? 

1 hour ago, Aerobert said:

For me the post man brought a fast delivery random bits from Tamico:

IMG_20210203_165043_compress54.thumb.jpg.9136cd376b9f0dc58cc700567c4e4652.jpg

Are they mst drift tyres, or are they rubber tyres. I need some rubber tyres in place of the solid mst ones, but cannot seem to find any.

Got an XV-01 that I got for an absolute steal in the mail yesterday along with a battery for my dual rider and a cutesy little RC10 keychain

IMG-3290.jpg

IMG-3291.jpg

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Matty36 said:

Are they mst drift tyres, or are they rubber tyres. I need some rubber tyres in place of the solid mst ones, but cannot seem to find any.

These are rubber tires. Tamico have them in stock.

2 hours ago, Aerobert said:

I just thought I have déjà vu as I saw this post already on Saturday or Sunday. It's on page 659. ;)

Looking cool btw.

It came up on my phone as unposted???

5 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Let's see the shell @Juhunio! Can we see those arches up close? What trimming have I got in store?

Here you go, a bit quick and dirty but you get the gist...

spacer.png

The arches are actually pre-cut, they pretty much just pop out.

spacer.png

Feels like we'll still need to cut nice and straight along the sills though, which I'm less happy about because I'm quite comfortable using scissors and Dremel on arches, but less so cutting dead straight along sills :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Here you go, a bit quick and dirty but you get the gist...

spacer.png

The arches are actually pre-cut, they pretty much just pop out.

spacer.png

Feels like we'll still need to cut nice and straight along the sills though, which I'm less happy about because I'm quite comfortable using scissors and Dremel on arches, but less so cutting dead straight along sills :(

I usually use some masking tape and cut along that if it needs to be very straight.

• Like 2

As DJ Khaled famously said...

Another one

Screenshot_20210203_195924.jpg

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Matty36 said:

I usually use some masking tape and cut along that if it needs to be very straight.

That served me well trimming the sills off my Jeep hard body. Well, stopped me trimming too much off, anyway!

Thanks @Juhunio, those photos really help. I was curious about those arches after seeing the Tamico video. Looks like a nice even finish to the white and the smoke - are you happy with it? Will we see a build thread soon? Just asking because I don't know when I'll get to pick mine up so want some vicarious thrills!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

Looks like a nice even finish to the white and the smoke - are you happy with it?

Yeah I think it’s grand. I always am happy with Tamiya bodies as a rule, the quality is so good against the likes of HPI or L&L replicas which can be woefully thin in comparison 

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

Will we see a build thread soon? Just asking because I don't know when I'll get to pick mine up so want some vicarious thrills!

Dunno, might be a wee while I reckon! Got a TB-02 on the go right now and waiting for the LWB MF-01 blue prop shaft to come back into stock too 👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

Quoting the past here, but -what am I looking at? Must confess I know nothing about Mardave, but that looks absolutely brilliant! Is it a vintage kit? A re-re? Or is there actually a company of today giving the boot to the whole horrendous cab forward debacle? 

I guess the answer to all of those questions is - Yes.

It's a re-release of a vintage kit that includes some more modern updates.

The kit can be built as a modern type, mid-motor chassis with a cab forward body.

But it can also be built in the original rear motor, rear cab layout. The kit includes both the new cab forward body and one in the original rear cab design.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Matty36 said:

Was going to suggest exactly the same

I got a big brown box yesterday, will save it for the weekend, horrendous workload at the moment 🤦 so will have a little T time on Sunday 😊

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

I guess the answer to all of those questions is - Yes.

It's a re-release of a vintage kit that includes some more modern updates.

The kit can be built as a modern type, mid-motor chassis with a cab forward body.

But it can also be built in the original rear motor, rear cab layout. The kit includes both the new cab forward body and one in the original rear cab design.

Oh, wow! This is both exotic and fascinating! Some mild googling leads me to think it's origin is around 30 years back, is that correct? 

Have you built it and ran it yet? Hmm this is tempting! 

2 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

Oh, wow! This is both exotic and fascinating! Some mild googling leads me to think it's origin is around 30 years back, is that correct? 

Have you built it and ran it yet? Hmm this is tempting! 

Built it?? Are you mad? 😁 No it's still in the box (be quiet @jonboy1).

The Cobra was originally released in the early 90's. I think 92 or 93.

13 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

The Cobra was originally released in the early 90's. I think 92 or 93.

:D

Is this the one? 

https://www.mardave.co.uk/rc-cars/238-437-1390-detail

I'll have to dig a bit deeper into this, from the look of the box this looks right up my alley and there's something really fascinating about a kit developed and built in Leicester. Should probably get one, if for nothing else as a show of sympathy and communion amongst the non-EU countries in Europe. 

1 hour ago, Peter_B said:

Must....

fight.....

the.....

urge...........:P

1 hour ago, Robert5000 said:

:D

Is this the one? 

https://www.mardave.co.uk/rc-cars/238-437-1390-detail

I'll have to dig a bit deeper into this, from the look of the box this looks right up my alley and there's something really fascinating about a kit developed and built in Leicester. Should probably get one, if for nothing else as a show of sympathy and communion amongst the non-EU countries in Europe. 

Yes that's it.

I don't think Mardave are in Leicester these days - I think Norfolk rings a bell. Still of UK origin though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

Yes that's it.

I don't think Mardave are in Leicester these days - I think Norfolk rings a bell. Still of UK origin though.

Well, since we're in february I'll pop by the Mardave site now and again to see if it's possible to grab one. Thanks!

No customs to pay on this, got it for a bargain been after a minter for a while also has some alloy steering upgrade and FRP set up plus a few spares.  Just to source the correct wheels for it going to be a light runner if such a thing 😅

EB8E3E83-5808-4DE0-BBA8-71B23AABDF70.jpeg

E2BFB2E0-E246-4B2A-9CA0-D07DCD6BD0B3.jpeg

931E36F5-C3F5-40DA-B00E-A96A6FA8E240.jpeg

• Like 2

Dampers, screw bag, rubber parts bag, cam locks, pinion gear bag and servo saver for my Rough Rider restoration / re-build. Going to be tricky to focus on working from home with all of those parts to fit!