backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

37 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

There's a big spread on the TD4 in there, and a page on the Blockhead Wild One too :)

Nice - I ordered one too, the first one I’ve had new from a retailer since this Tamiya madness thing started in 1982!

• Like 1

My Sand Scorcher project arrived today, quick look over it and it will be a nice project for me.

Loving the shell patina 😊

• Like 3

Well... Finally time to disclosures comes...
As hinted yesterday, I got something while fetching kits to my favorite LHS. The owner is quite passionate about vintage rc cars, and it was a short discussion yesterday because of the Xmas period and the fact he had a very big day ahead, and there was customers queuing behind me, but somehow it was the accomplishment of our previous discussions about that car...

It's a Hirobo Bearcat SS, almost complete. The only part missing is the driver, and maybe some friction drivers. The diff works, and the belt is there, under the cache. There is quite a work, and that is going to be slotted in my projects queue...
J1PCct8.jpg
5wAYnej.jpg

And this was not the end of the projects queue addition of the week-end. But the other one requires a longer story...

Few weeks ago, I won an auction on ebay (alone to bid at the starting price) on a 3D printed Marui Samurai chassis from Dadio designs. It was quite an interesting find in view of a project I had in mind and that was going to materialise a way or an other...
u0G55f2.jpg

And the day I received the chassis, one friend contacted me to propose a Marui Samurai with a broken chassis telling me I would probably need a 3D printed chassis to deal with it w00t.png. I can't describe how I felt about this on the moment it happened. I went to fetch it today, in the late afternoon... And this is a project on which there is a lot of work, but I can't describe how much i'm happy about it.
KvI276R.jpg

And that is not even the Samurai project that I was expecting to disclose later on in December, as one is waiting at my parents' place. So yes, there is double Samurai project materialising and I'm very happy right now :-D. I won't open project threads right now. I need to dismantle the Nichimo first and identify what is exactly missing/requiring work on that one. The Samurai and the Bearcat SS will be later that, and not sure in which sequence...

• Like 5

Came home from a trip to Tennessee and found these at my door

F876DF3C-1E7B-49B8-9CE4-5D50F92E9906.thumb.jpeg.b5150ed96b421449538ee1d30cb1c43f.jpeg

a couple more parts need to show and I’ll start building it :D

also got a few things for some other projects 

AFDE4C34-D01A-4078-988F-4B62F8D1BCFE.thumb.jpeg.677d8ea6e24ca30a7da329605bfedb67.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, GeeWings said:

@silvertripleIt seems the stars aligned for you on this one. Look forward to seeing the build.

I'm not sure when exactly I'll start the Samurai project... But as soon as I start it, there will be a new thread in the Marui corner :-D

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, silvertriple said:

I'm not sure when exactly I'll start the Samurai project... But as soon as I start it, there will be a new thread in the Marui corner :-D

I wasn’t aware of Marui until recently.  Then I took a look at some kits on eBay 😱 Some eye-watering prices on the Samurai! I do like the Hunter Jr. too though and the Galaxy.

An order made on 24 Aug from 1999 has finally arrived. I picked the cheapest surface mail method of course. 

spacer.png

2 Mini 4WD rere kits from my youth and the rear bumper for the SU-01 Aero Avante. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GeeWings said:

I wasn’t aware of Marui until recently.  Then I took a look at some kits on eBay 😱 Some eye-watering prices on the Samurai! I do like the Hunter Jr. too though and the Galaxy.

Well... Marui cars were quite good, actually. Probably under rated, probably seen as toys by Hardcore Tamiya fans, but the reality is that they were nice cars, and worth their money (less than Tamiya counterparts, but definitely competitive in terms of rc handling and performance). However few survived, as the plastic quality was probably not as good as the Tamiya of that time, and the cars had some weak points (which means that reliability was very often an issue)... However, Marui cars had very often something interesting, and some of them were truely innovative, and very much opened new niches in the the rc market in the eighties... The Big Bear is the first monster truck (1984) a few years before the Lunchbox. The Thunderbird Coors was also very innovative, able to do track and off road, thanks to a system of suspension allowing to change easily the height of the chassis. Hunter featured inboard front friction shocks and double wishbones on the front to reduce camber effect, and a very nice design. And lastly, the Samurai, probably one of the most beautiful roll cage 4WD buggies of those times (I prefer it to the Javelin, on my side)...

Prices are probably over rated due to the rarity, and as well the few cars that survived, and you'd better take proper advise from knowledgeable people before pulling the trigger in such a project: some parts are now very difficult to find,... (And the Hunter Jr is actually not RC but 1/32, like many mini 4WD cars - Marui made a lot of Mini 4WD Kyosho replicas, by the way).

NB: if you are interested, there is a lot of documentation in my Marui Hunter and Galaxy thread in Marui corner...

@silvertriple Not to forget the Ninja as well! 🥷 

I don’t remember much of mine, I got it as a roller from a friend at school for £15 BITD maybe 1990!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nwc100 said:

@silvertriple Not to forget the Ninja as well! 🥷 

I don’t remember much of mine, I got it as a roller from a friend at school for £15 BITD maybe 1990!

Well, that's a good point... The Ninja was introduced in 1986, two years before the Terra Scorcher from Tamiya... Now that being said, I'm not sure who introduced this fashion of futuristic buggies... I could be very well Hirobo with the Alien, or Nichimo with the Cosmo Shooter (I think they are 1986 released as well)...

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 7:52 PM, Seanster43 said:

Another bargain from Nobbi1977 top bloke 👍🏻

14EB503D-A1CB-435E-8C1F-C420F0F2C913.jpeg

I want to see you cook that ESC now 😂

• Haha 3

Some goodies from Plaza Japan to get my CR-01 up and running.

9A6F5B2F-C3D1-44D7-8464-53FB725AFAC3.jpg

Another TC member got the last 51000 so I have one coming from RCMart, along with some lower bumpers (missing from my 2nd hand purchase).

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Some goodies from Plaza Japan to get my CR-01 up and running.

Another TC member got the last 51000 so I have one coming from RCMart, along with some lower bumpers (missing from my 2nd hand purchase).

So it was YOU who bought the last pack of m3x12 hex head screws I so desperately wanted!!!

image.png.8882adeea9eefd44066c5b09e719977a.png

Your card has been marked! Good day to you sir, I say good day to you!!

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, jonboy1 said:

So it was YOU who bought the last pack of m3x12 hex head screws I so desperately wanted!!!

image.png.8882adeea9eefd44066c5b09e719977a.png

Your card has been marked! Good day to you sir, I say good day to you!!

Oops :ph34r:

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Nobbi1977 said:

I want to see you cook that ESC now 😂

I’ll run 8’s through it for a laugh 😂 

• Thanks 1

Had the Parcelforce letter today announcing the cost of vat and customs for my 45th anniversary from the seemingly ever reliable Tamico. I decided to take a trip out and pick it up today, and price from Tamico worked out well, total to my door was £221. Also got a few other bits in the post. 😄

4B2DD3D2-B812-45A8-A426-09CC22D6D7C5.jpeg

• Like 4