backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

Two Radio Shack Street Combers arrived today. No time to do much with them for a week or two though as will be travelling a lot over the next couple of weeks. 

Radio Shack

Radio Shack

Radio Shack

• Like 1

Perseverance paid off. Managed to pick up some SMT10 tyres (with wheels) from the USA

E8E60715-985E-4527-B678-64A975DA55EC.jpg

• Like 3

From 3Racing, some spares and upgrade for M4, some spur gears for more experiments and the biggest pinion I had ever seen. 

b0Bddmb.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Is that urban camo masking?!

Yeah - although I see it’s described as pixel! To my eye it’s ‘Urban’ lol & for the price it’s easier than cutting it out myself. My Japanese is a bit rusty (or non existent!) but I think the instructions, steps 1 to 6, are explained well enough in the images. I figure I’ll paint the inside in PS silver as standard & then a mix of TS red white and blue on the outside over a ‘primer’ of PS flat clear before sealing it with TS flat clear. What could go wrong?! Probably a bit too ambitious for someone of my skill level :lol:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, J@mes said:

Yeah - although I see it’s described as pixel! To my eye it’s ‘Urban’ lol & for the price it’s easier than cutting it out myself. My Japanese is a bit rusty (or non existent!) but I think the instructions, steps 1 to 6, are explained well enough in the images. I figure I’ll paint the inside in PS silver as standard & then a mix of TS red white and blue on the outside over a ‘primer’ of PS flat clear before sealing it with TS flat clear. What could go wrong?! Probably a bit too ambitious for someone of my skill level :lol:

Go for it!

I've planned to do something similar for about four years but been too nervous to try. I have the body, the paint...but maybe not the talent.

@Willy iine what do you think? Should I do a WW2 body with urban camo and the black wheels and the low profile tyres from the GF-01 Landcruiser? Or even better, you show me how it should be done! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Go for it!

I've planned to do something similar for about four years but been too nervous to try. I have the body, the paint...but maybe not the talent.

@Willy iine what do you think? Should I do a WW2 body with urban camo and the black wheels and the low profile tyres from the GF-01 Landcruiser? Or even better, you show me how it should be done! :D

I think the Tetris look would suit the M151 body real well.  :D   There are many decorative lines and details on the hardshell so it might be better to hand paint some of those pixels vs trying to mask and spray over those lifted areas.  I'm not sure how the body would look with the low profile GF01 tires.   At one point I was thinking I could possibly use those tires on my Billy's Beetles, but I ended up running the standard monster style spiked tires (WR02 option tires) and the slicks.

Those wheels and tires to me look great on the factory LandCruiser GF01 body, however! 

IMG_Sep222021at110945AM.jpg.6e4fb2f2e63736ff218138f34b336700.jpg

• Like 2

Another brushless combo for an upcoming build, the 3 Racing speed gears for my M-05 and pinions (M 0,6) for the same M-05, yet to build M-08 concept and also still to build TA-03RS. Also some pinions (48pitch) for my upcoming Kyosho builds. (Ultima, turbo Optima and Optima Mid) All from Tamico. 

20220222_122338.jpg

20220222_122452.jpg

20220222_122557.jpg

• Like 2

Took a punt on this from Tamico as they are significantly cheaper for this kit. Just had to hope I avoided the dreaded Customs and fees and I did so all in £210 delivered. Super happy chappy 😊

20220222_134106.jpg

• Like 11

37 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Precut and painted body sounds nice, @16_Bit_Mr_J!   Especially when the box art looks fantastic like that.   Congrats.

I don't loathe the painting part like I used to when I was younger I quite enjoy it now, even with the mistakes 😊 it's nice to also occasionally get a precut and painted body too. It does seem as if quite a few of the new reres are precut and painted 

2 hours ago, 16_Bit_Mr_J said:

I don't loathe the painting part like I used to when I was younger I quite enjoy it now, even with the mistakes 😊 it's nice to also occasionally get a precut and painted body too. It does seem as if quite a few of the new reres are precut and painted 

Yeah, in one of the recent Tamiya YT videos they were saying they hear a lot of requests to have the body prepainted so they are considering other kits to include them.

I am totally fine with that.  :D  As long as box art looks good. 

I got these non-serrated black wheel nuts today.. 

IMG_2022-2-22-111957.jpg.ac46a83e2207cfbf38545dffdec29db6.jpg

To do this..

IMG_2022-2-22-112010.jpg.7848b8e7717d3af6ebeff0b15968760b.jpg

One of my bank institutions sent me an Amazon gift card for the points I accumulated (which I had no idea until a few weeks ago) so spent it on Savox low profile servos, servo savers, etc.  :D   A welcome surprise.   

• Like 4

Today, I received two boxes thru the mailman...

The first one was sent by my brother, and it included a lot of different stuff
hwU7qqw.jpg

What you can see here are the remains of my RC history as a teenager

• Hunter motor and motor plate (that are the only parts left of my original Hunter)
  • The remaining parts of the Kyosho Chevy 4x4 (Gearbox, front train parts (including axles and dog bones), shocks, chain)
  • My Graupner C4 laser 2 (41MHz) TX/RX
  • His Graupner Varioprop C4 (72MHz) TX/RX
  • 2 servos

I also received a another box with 3 Marui Hunter / Galaxy drivers. For the small story, I found traces on an old forum of one guy having done a mould, and while it was no longer possible to register on this old forum, I found that someone using the same pseudo was on one of the forum I was registered on. I contacted him few months ago. The guy initially responded he don't know if he still have the mould and if he find it back, he'll recontact me. That was about 4-5 months ago. Last Tuesday the guy contacted me and told me he found the mould randomly and he thought about my message... And here is...
bygKYnq.jpg

Will we see an end to the Marui Hunter/Galaxy/Galaxy RS project? :-)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 16_Bit_Mr_J said:

I enjoy the painting (even if I do normally make mistakes) but I would love pre-cut bodies. I dread cutting 😆

20220222_214819

Fancy Dan new shocks for the DT-03. Wildly unnecessary I'm sure but I'm quite interested to see what difference they make. I think they will make one. 

• Like 3

A letter to let me know I ordered outside the EU so I'll have to pay custom and taxes :(. This increases the cost of my JCRacing wheels and tires with almost 50% :angry: Weird because my magnetic bodyposts from further away outside the EU were just dropped in my mailbox without extra charges... :unsure: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

A letter to let me know I ordered outside the EU so I'll have to pay custom and taxes :(. This increases the cost of my JCRacing wheels and tires with almost 50% :angry: Weird because my magnetic bodyposts from further away outside the EU were just dropped in my mailbox without extra charges... :unsure: 

Ahhh, the great Customs lottery! 

The guiding principle (as informed by my personal experience) seems to be....

If you got the parts cheap, and are delighted with the bargain....then happy days, they'll sail through with no extra charge :)

If you paid the very top end of a reasonable price, or maybe slightly beyond that, meaning you're happy to have got them but slightly begrudging what you shelled out....get ready to pay an extra 20% plus handling fee! :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Ahhh, the great Customs lottery! 

The guiding principle (as informed by my personal experience) seems to be....

If you got the parts cheap, and are delighted with the bargain....then happy days, they'll sail through with no extra charge :)

If you paid the very top end of a reasonable price, or maybe slightly beyond that, meaning you're happy to have got them but slightly begrudging what you shelled out....get ready to pay an extra 20% plus handling fee! :(

Okay I wouldn't be exactly happy with an extra 20% but I just calculated and it is an increase of 44,6%. That is just crazy.🤪

• Like 1

Indeed lottery seems correct. Got my turbo Optima undertray from revive rc in the UK (just like JCRacing) but without the extra tax and customs bill, happy days 😀 

20220224_123315.jpg

• Like 2

Postman brought me a squashed & opened Bigwig mini 4wd... not quite the pairing I was hoping for to match up with the sealed Bigwig rere I stumbled onto a while back...

20220223_172008 (2).jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

For my Avante build coming soon.. and the other one for another car I am working on soon after..

IMG_2022-2-25-104415.jpg.cff9d403bae501e407576797acb59aec.jpg

• Like 2