backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

35 minutes ago, Sogogi said:

Was debating quite a bit between this and cheaper ones... but ended up going straight to this. (At least I love soldering :) )

Good choice. You won't regret spending the little extra on a good iron. Just make sure to look after the tip and it'll last ages.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sogogi said:

Was debating quite a bit between this and cheaper ones... but ended up going straight to this. (At least I love soldering :) )

B2326B82-4E7A-4A5A-A688-D9C6DC32943B.jpeg

I have the same one and even though it was pricey I have no regrets. A decent iron makes all the difference!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cosworthwesty said:

Just some bearings for my next build, I’ve been away for a few years so I’m just getting back into the hobby 😁

image.jpg

Welcome back then 

And your username suggests a Cossie!?

9 hours ago, svenb said:

Welcome back then 

And your username suggests a Cossie!?

I had a cosworth yb engine in my Westfield 

• Like 1

Nothing exactly wrong with my current Flysky GT3C for casual use but I just want something different

20221210_130118.thumb.jpg.98221c9952d5e6da24b6e5baf50f2275.jpg

• Like 4

Got some carbon fiber shock towers delivered today (on a Sunday morning!). These too are for my Optima Mid build. My initial intention was to get acquainted with the kit stock FRP parts first, and maybe getting hop ups afterwards if needed, but I've read about one too many shock towers that broke, so decided to give these parts a try. I read good reviews about this brand, and the parts do feel nice and beefy. Anybody familiar with VintageRC?

20221211-142157.jpg

I believe these are my very first carbon parts ever 😅 this build is getting fancy, I hope to get it started around xmas time.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ferruz said:

Got some carbon fiber shock towers delivered today (on a Sunday morning!). These too are for my Optima Mid build. My initial intention was to get acquainted with the kit stock FRP parts first, and maybe getting hop ups afterwards if needed, but I've read about one too many shock towers that broke, so decided to give these parts a try. I read good reviews about this brand, and the parts do feel nice and beefy. Anybody familiar with VintageRC?

20221211-142157.jpg

I believe these are my very first carbon parts ever 😅 this build is getting fancy, I hope to get it started around xmas time.

Carbonitis is a serious illness 😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ferruz said:

20221211-142157.jpg

Carbonitis is a serious illness 😂

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Gabranth said:

Nothing exactly wrong with my current Flysky GT3C for casual use but I just want something different

That's a great radio!  Though the buttons/menu's make me CRAZY since they're totally different that the other Futaba stuff!

F4FA362C-7C29-454B-85D9-1A25C115CC82.jpeg.5a4f299cf46c3a9b170b51e71be49aaf.jpeg

A spare shell as I really had to have a traditional yellow body for my black edition Lunchbox. The black shell will be used on a custom project.

6CCA52C5-8754-483A-9D7E-DFF85B277898.jpeg.eee72dca597c29d34667484c096ddc9e.jpeg

Also picked-up a mudmad that was too cheap to turn down. I probably won’t be using the shell as the chassis might be a good fit for a project my son and I have had in mind for a while.

• Like 4

I follow El Geckos advice and make the rear axle wider on XV. Today I got the parts for it. 

DSC_0008.JPG

• Like 3

Had to make some tiny custom stickers for a project I’m working on and everything I tried wasn’t working too well so ordered myself a cricut, and it arrived today :), got my stickers made and they look great. I’m planning on using it for paint masks and custom decals for my rc stuff, or at least I hope I will, otherwise I just made a couple of really expensive stickers :lol::wacko:

D64A4C6A-B87F-476C-9CFC-8D676E2E271C.jpeg.c58b824db47fc7b48204e664658b6094.jpeg

shortly after a package arrived from Japan that I’ve been waiting on, think it’s mostly stuff for a tc01, working on too many things at once and can’t remember what the plans were for some of this stuff

D515CB55-2697-43CC-B109-83E29279B3F7.jpeg.9bc781f7cc5872d58692861b58669617.jpeg

• Like 6

Not completely retiring my 4PKS-R, but since I can no longer source the FASST receivers, migrating to a hybrid multi-protocol 7PX-R.  B)

IMG_2022-12-13-131515.jpg.9ef7014315c9891a6b804dddbf378ec4.jpg

• Like 4

I think all the parts have arrived for the XV-01 build that can start next Tuesday when I officially finish work for Christmas, it’s mostly a lot of blue connectors some random Fluorine coated connectors and some odds and sods of turnbuckles that where in stock at PJ!

Big bags contain CF parts for the build as well, I’ve honestly no idea if most of the blue bits will work as they where all ordered in a bout of insomnia I seemed to have had a few weeks ago, regardless I’ve got 7 days over Christmas to figure something out and with the body 60% done already I’m quietly confident I’ll have a runner of some description by NYE!!

41FD0957-D5DE-41CE-B317-05A2D68BB84F.jpeg

• Like 5

On 12/12/2022 at 7:54 PM, Andreas W said:

I follow El Geckos advice and make the rear axle wider on XV. Today I got the parts for it. 

DSC_0008.JPG

Look forward to this. I've got similar coming for a Porsche shell. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ImALlama said:

Had to make some tiny custom stickers for a project I’m working on and everything I tried wasn’t working too well so ordered myself a cricut, and it arrived today :), got my stickers made and they look great. I’m planning on using it for paint masks and custom decals for my rc stuff, or at least I hope I will, otherwise I just made a couple of really expensive stickers :lol::wacko:

D64A4C6A-B87F-476C-9CFC-8D676E2E271C.jpeg.c58b824db47fc7b48204e664658b6094.jpeg

I have been hovering over the "buy" button on one of these for ages. Both my craft-mad sisters keep telling me I need one! How detailed can you go? Would love to see what you've produced if possible.

1 hour ago, GeeWings said:

I have been hovering over the "buy" button on one of these for ages. Both my craft-mad sisters keep telling me I need one! How detailed can you go? Would love to see what you've produced if possible.

They’ve been running specials each day for the holiday on their site and I think all are still active, and their site was cheaper than anywhere local and same or cheaper than anything I could find online. I got the explore air 2 cause it was the cheapest while still having the larger cutting area. It’ll do more than I’ll ever even think of trying.

If you haven’t yet, download their app and play around with it. I downloaded it and watched some YouTube vids about cutting tiny text (the thing I needed it to do) to get an idea if it could do it and how well, and then I made my stuff in their app a few days before I even ordered it, some things though you might not learn about till you actually start using it. For example, my font had a shadow behind each letter so it was cutting the letters and the shadows separately, I was amazed it could actually do this especially with how tiny the letters were but made it twice as hard for me to work with and wasted a decent amount of time before I realized it was doing this. Since i could do with or without the shadows I had to tell it not to cut those lines. 

I should’ve taken pics but I didn’t :( Ive only messed with vinyl (which is all I’ll prob use it for) and still need to learn and try stuff, but from what I have learned tiny lettering is doable but a complete pain to get transferred over, I still have the trash part of the vinyl and the lettering doesn’t look as good from it getting distorted from pulling it off and stuff but here’s a pic showing the size, it cutout the inside of the Os and Rs fine just had to get them out with a needle

2DEF5FD4-99BC-4056-91C2-BAB9CFECFF78.thumb.jpeg.ffb4e0385f7e6bf717d0b05075415e57.jpeg

I tried printing the text on vinyl so I could just cut out an easier and/or larger shape but so far printing on vinyl looked horrible, maybe it’s my old cheap printers fault, or the vinyl I was using for it, this thing can hold it’s special pens or markers so maybe I’ll try those in the future. 

Haven’t made anything else yet, just the text for a model truck that I needed to get done and on to it’s owner, been busy working on 1:1 trucks and fixing up the house atm but hoping to make some masks and decals within the next week for my td4 body, so I’ll post pics when/if I get to it

• Like 1

Dependable, Prompt, Delivery from Modelsport arrived today. D3B0016B-6854-4C10-99DF-06861942DB86.jpg
417736F8-109F-4F70-8A2A-5497E9F7257E.jpg Haven seen a build of one of these on the forum so early next year!!!! Need to get a couple more bits, lighting kit, mirrors and snorkel but I can start the chassis when I like!!

• Like 3