backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

9 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Diff building soon!

FullSizeRender_zpsol9upnbr.jpg~original

I really ought to someday buy that AW grease in a tube as well as some diff locking putty or whatever it is called. If you are able or lucky enough or so inclined, there was some Manta Ray Ball Diffs NIP in HK or Japan for merely $13.30 on the bay a week or so ago. I have built a couple for some M builds and they are smooth feeling and having driven one with a Sport Tuned attached vs a silver can and gear diff in same chassis, they are great at keeping the wheels from going all swirly when you mash on the throttle.

1 hour ago, Rb4276 said:

Tamiya axles for my universals that get rid of the set screw and replace it with a pin. I have one universal on my tt02b ms that constantly comes undone

Did you happen to use any of the red threadlocker on that set screw??? I think that is the instructions I got from the M03 universal shaft sets from Tamiya for Tamiya?? Just asking as I don't want to suffer the same fate and it would look to me that Tamiya's set screw for the universal shaft set is shorter and BLACKER, making it impossible to find on the ground/tarmac as well as not having any spares since all mine are the same length as been supplied for ages. YIKES, I sure have to make sure I thread lock those in now on my runner, or at least check them every run.

Today my postperson brought a nice shiny blue aluminum servo horn and a pair of 50568 M chassis radial tires, so more M building for me.

• Like 1

Just now, Crash Cramer said:

I really ought to someday buy that AW grease in a tube as well as some diff locking putty or whatever it is called. If you are able or lucky enough or so inclined, there was some Manta Ray Ball Diffs NIP in HK or Japan for merely $13.30 on the bay a week or so ago. I have built a couple for some M builds and they are smooth feeling and having driven one with a Sport Tuned attached vs a silver can and gear diff in same chassis, they are great at keeping the wheels from going all swirly when you mash on the throttle.

Did you happen to use any of the red threadlocker on that set screw??? I think that is the instructions I got from the M03 universal shaft sets from Tamiya for Tamiya?? Just asking as I don't want to suffer the same fate and it would look to me that Tamiya's set screw for the universal shaft set is shorter and BLACKER, making it impossible to find on the ground/tarmac as well as not having any spares since all mine are the same length as been supplied for ages. YIKES, I sure have to make sure I thread lock those in now on my runner, or at least check them every run.

Today my postperson brought a nice shiny blue aluminum servo horn and a pair of 50568 M chassis radial tires, so more M building for me.

No i only used blue threadlock, i redid it probably 3 or 4 times with the same result. I even bought the tamiya cross joints and rebuilt them with new parts with no luck, because in one set it stripped the set screw too.  The universal set on my dt03t also did the same but only once so far. 

I only bought one set now to try on the rear of my tt02b ms and see how it goes, if these are better i will order 2 more for the front and my dt03t. I am sure they will be better cause i have the same pin set up on my dn01 universals since last summer with not one issue. 

You may be OVERtightening the grubscrew.

If you want extra security, grind a flat into the middle of the pivot pin where the grubscrew contacts. 

Degrease all parts before applying threadlock, I also apply to the tip of the screw.

Anaerobic Threadlock also takes time to cure, you can't run it immediately after applying. Leave it cure for a few hours if not overnight.

• Like 1

Got some new GPM aluminium front suspension parts for my Grasshopper (DT0)3:

33601967685_8690e7461c.jpg

Stiffen up the shock towers which has really helped where I cut the shock brace to get the Grasshopper2 body to fit.

32788052833_aa547dfe49.jpg

Aluminium c-parts to stiffen the uprights now I've got turnbuckle top arms. Also everyone seems to break the plastic ones so I figured better safe than sorry, and man maths meant I was 'saving postage' by ordering with the uprights ;-) There's also some GPM steering turnbuckles to finish off the front because I made the mistake of buying the DT02 turnbuckles on the cheap and finding the steering arms are different on the DT-03. Rookie error. Live and learn. At least the gpm ones were only a couple of quid. 

33218821400_0eaf1e130b.jpg

Postman also brought a 0.5m length of M3 threaded rod for the princely sum of £1.20. Found an old thread on here called Terror Scorcher about a had hopped up TS chassis. The guy recommended front turnbuckles to protect the gearbox casing. Can't get proper ones for love nor money, but made my own with the rod, and some spare Absima shock end and spare plastic spacers on one of the sprues still in the box. Quite proud of myself!!

Cheers!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Crash Cramer said:

Hmm, the ball diff sounds interesting. I'll be running silvercans - would the ball diff be overkill? 

Where did you get your ali servo horn?

You're a bad influence @Crash Cramer. One ball diff ordered for a future M04 project..

14 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

You gonna stuff the foams in the diff? 

Carry on sir ;)

Hmm, foam and grease?

... party!!!

nah, foams are for wheels I haven't even bought yet...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Hmm, the ball diff sounds interesting. I'll be running silvercans - would the ball diff be overkill? 

Where did you get your ali servo horn?

You're a bad influence @Crash Cramer. One ball diff ordered for a future M04 project..

I'M a bad influence??? It is all the OTHER guys that did it to me. :lol: I don't think it is overkill, but yea, seeing as they are not $5 each, any money thrown at adding to a kit is not in the original build price. I hear ya on the wheels, my last count, the tires I just got need some wheels for a home, but since I had a single pair of unmated tires, I had to get mates for them, now the wheels will be found and bought. I am thinking towards the black minilites/watanabes that are reinforced, but those are not the cheapest in the bunch, not the most expensive either. I sure wish Tamiya would make some other good looking M sized wheels, but perhaps I need to start looking at Kawada M sized wheels, they are near masterpiece in look.

I got the Tamiya alu horn from nonFreebay, Tamiya part 54120, like the HiTorque servo saver, adds the price of a new servo to the build just to make the servo connected to the car. I don't love that thought, but for this special build, it was a necessary evil as it is going to need to work aesthetically for me and blue is a trend on this M03 build. It is almost near completion. I was hoping to finish it up today, but there are parts now coming from Canada to make it work the way I want it to..... WOW, this thing is NEVER going to be able to be sold for the price of its parts. :wacko:

• Like 1

Got some postage . Two BigWig JR's 4x4 , to go with the two BigWig's i got a few weeks ago .

4717d0c23617fb01ab3a9859c8af019e_zpsgnhz

• Like 1

Programme card arrived, not quite sure I needed it, as I've been programming off the beeps, but for a quid I thought I may as well  (as you do) 

Didn't realise how small it would be!?! 

20170324_093205.jpg

• Like 1

2 deliveries in one day!

Still undecided on the colour direction for the Mid, so ordered them both 🙄

20170324_092959.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

2 deliveries in one day!

Still undecided on the colour direction for the Mid, so ordered them both 🙄

20170324_092959.jpg

Nice programme card, which esc is it for? But you need to change settings between 2s lipo to 3s lipo?

And beware that Tommee Tippee Baby bottle steriliser, after a few months mine started switching itself on when beingplugged back in after being rinsed out ;) 

2 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Nice programme card, which esc is it for? But you need to change settings between 2s lipo to 3s lipo?

I've got the photon 2.0. I've only over ran 2s through it, good job really!!

2 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Tommee Tippee Baby bottle steriliser, after a few months mine started switching itself on when beingplugged back in after being rinsed out ;) 

Yeah,this does it. It's a few years old now having being used for the first daughter.

1.5 deg rear hubs for M03/M04 (Yeah Racing).

53301 Stainless steel suspension pins. 

M03/M04 universals (Yeah Racing).

And went and bought some degreaser for a final scrub of my chassis parts.

Hmm, sounds like a nice little beastie is coming soon. I went to YR site and they don't have a few of those parts, nor do they post prices, what is/was your source for these bits??? I don't think I want to buy every part again for an M chassis, but I never know what is coming next.

Couple of roof racks with lights and the 135x70mm monster truck tyres for the WT01s/Tamiya 2.2 rims. 

qFuLrDo.jpg

An aluminium roof for my FAV, some cricket bat tape for strengthening the inside of a few body shells and a new £5 receiver for my Austar 2.4Ghz radio set after the Hornet got wet and kerplunked on me.

Kinda liking this Austar brand, I see above Prescient got some of their diversification too.

8 hours ago, Crash Cramer said:

Hmm, sounds like a nice little beastie is coming soon. I went to YR site and they don't have a few of those parts, nor do they post prices, what is/was your source for these bits??? I don't think I want to buy every part again for an M chassis, but I never know what is coming next.

You should find them on RCMart.

Hop-up parts/For Tamiya/M04

http://www.rcmart.com/for-tamiya-m04-c-595_744_1222.html

Hope that helps!

Thanks Crumble, I finally got the Hitorque servo saver set in BLACK this trip for finishing up an M build, more details and photos over on that thread. Shameless plug really. ;) who abbreviates "REALLY"???????

• Like 1

A Striker... not quite the Sonic Fighter I was after for a while but this is growing on me already, its just too quirky ;p

0kguYLZ.jpg

W7wCdwH.jpg

znatvMz.jpg

• Like 4

Wow this IS quirky. Never seen that before. I can see how it would grow on you. It's so.... quirky!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crash Cramer said:

Thanks Crumble, I finally got the Hitorque servo saver set in BLACK this trip for finishing up an M build, more details and photos over on that thread. Shameless plug really. ;) who abbreviates "REALLY"???????

In "DRAFT" mode the computer hyphenated the word REALLY, that was the reason for my mini rant. :)

1 hour ago, spankrjs said:

NIB 58149 M01 Mini Cooper B)IMG_20170327_202420351.thumb.jpg.fb9fda0c37709a07a551fb326df4bdb9.jpg

Very nice, but if you build it, be careful, they are addicting little ******s.

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

A Striker... not quite the Sonic Fighter I was after for a while but this is growing on me already, its just too quirky ;p

0kguYLZ.jpg

W7wCdwH.jpg

znatvMz.jpg

Quirky is one word for it. :P I built one ages ago out of NIP parts and such, better search for a pair of Thundershot tires to get some on the rear. I think if driven well and with a hop up or two, they can be good running fun cars, but there were a lot of things that seemed so "entry level" to me on top of the F1 styled cockpit car blend.

• Like 1

Key to good running of the Striker is a chassis brace to reinforce the front end ;) CRP made one, but it does not quite fit, so if you find one be prepared to drill (the brace, not the chassis!).

These days, I get excited for MOTOR CABLES!

34o4tc2.jpg

Just as well, as some of my old cars might yet drive like new ones with new motors soldered to these...

• Like 1