backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

Yep,,the eagle has landed,, found this on eBay for an excellent price (way below market value) and actually won a bid for a change with a great seller that answered all questions and was extremely polite...

It showed up today...I've built three of these so far in the last 10 years, but always from parts and wrecks using either TA02 chassis or AE TC3 chassis......never ever before had one NIB. Had a chance to buy one NIB in 1997 and passed on it... Well, good things come to those who wait I guess! Really excited to actually own this kit. My Dad used to own a full size Factory Five Shelby Cobra kit but sold it in 2006 unfinished. So if I build this one it will be for him, not me.

Not sure if I will build this yet as I have lots of other projects to finish first including a Porsche 906 Nostalgic resto using a modified Mantis 2WD Kyosho chassis and a 1967 HPi Corvette on top of a hopped up Associated Dual Sport.  

scollins

C1.jpg

C2.jpg

C3.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, scollins said:

Yep,,the eagle has landed,, found this on eBay for an excellent price (way below market value) and actually won a bid for a change with a great seller that answered all questions and was extremely polite...

It showed up today...I've built three of these so far in the last 10 years, but always from parts and wrecks using either TA02 chassis or AE TC3 chassis......never ever before had one NIB. Had a chance to buy one NIB in 1997 and passed on it... Well, good things come to those who wait I guess! Really excited to actually own this kit. My Dad used to own a full size Factory Five Shelby Cobra kit but sold it in 2006 unfinished. So if I build this one it will be for him, not me.

Not sure if I will build this yet as I have lots of other projects to finish first including a Porsche 906 Nostalgic resto using a modified Mantis 2WD Kyosho chassis and a 1967 HPi Corvette on top of a hopped up Associated Dual Sport.  

scollins

C1.jpg

C2.jpg

C3.jpg

Is that the mantis kit from mid 90s? Had little lugs to adjust ride heights and springs? And the springs are like the ones in pegs not coils?

I raced one of those in a mantis class, was the entry class at the local club and even that stretched the budget when pumping gas part time was my only income. I did terribly. Still have it in the garage now, and it works on the old 27mhz rc gear with the original nicads

Great news Steve, too bad I can't see it in person, but I know you will be doing some serious magic with it.

Thanks guys---I must say that I feel very fortunate( and lucky) to have found this Cobra kit and to be able to collect it. In fact, I feel quite lucky to have all of this RC stuff and great people I know thru the years in the hobby and TamiyaClub as well. I know it sounds really cheesy but its a 100 percent true statement.

All I have to do is turn on the news, either TV or online and watch a little of what is going on in the world and it puts everything into perspective. Me not being able to find a NIB R/C kit I wanted for a long time seems like a pretty lame concept when I see the crazy stuff going on. Our hobbies keep us sane I suppose.  scollins

LaceyBrauer2.jpg

• Like 1

Postman brought me some accessories for my Pajero

All the way from rcMart

accessories.JPG

• Like 2

An Eken 4k camera that can record 4k in 30fps, 2.7K in 30fps, 1080p in 120 fps and 720 in 200fps... this should make for some better quality slow mo RC video's

aMonVm7.jpg

Sonic Fighter front shock holder, to allow mini CVA's to be fitted onto my Striker project.

6D5AXfT.jpg

And a new Grasshopper 2 kit (have already raided the wheele/tyres for my Striker

F618Tgt.jpg

With some free Haribo's from Fusion Hobbies

HDttbrH.jpg

KarYHTX.jpg

WLG4rGI.jpg

2 hours ago, scollins said:

Thanks guys---I must say that I feel very fortunate( and lucky) to have found this Cobra kit and to be able to collect it. In fact, I feel quite lucky to have all of this RC stuff and great people I know thru the years in the hobby and TamiyaClub as well. I know it sounds really cheesy but its a 100 percent true statement.

All I have to do is turn on the news, either TV or online and watch a little of what is going on in the world and it puts everything into perspective. Me not being able to find a NIB R/C kit I wanted for a long time seems like a pretty lame concept when I see the crazy stuff going on. Our hobbies keep us sane I suppose.  scollins

LaceyBrauer2.jpg

LUCKY BREAK INDEED, I think if MORE folks were into this hobby, there would be a better world, but that is just me dreaming again.

2 hours ago, guitarman said:

Postman brought me some accessories for my Pajero

All the way from rcMart

accessories.JPG

THOSE look pretty darn good and you don't find those in the DOLL HOUSE collection at the craft store, I mean MAYBE the fire extinguisher, but we wouldn't want to send a message to children playing with DOLL HOUSES that the cook is so bad an extinguisher is required at all times in the kitchen. :P

46 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

An Eken 4k camera that can record 4k in 30fps, 2.7K in 30fps, 1080p in 120 fps and 720 in 200fps... this should make for some better quality slow mo RC video's

aMonVm7.jpg

Sonic Fighter front shock holder, to allow mini CVA's to be fitted onto my Striker project.

6D5AXfT.jpg

And a new Grasshopper 2 kit (have already raided the wheele/tyres for my Striker

F618Tgt.jpg

With some free Haribo's from Fusion Hobbies

HDttbrH.jpg

KarYHTX.jpg

WLG4rGI.jpg

HOW is it I forgot the GH2 had the same Striker wheels and tires. Now you can make yourself a SUPER G with some Fox/Wild One Wheels and tires and VIOLA, two yes two builds in one easy step. I now see the RISE OF THE STRIKERS as now wheels and tires are a bit easier to source.

Phew I just realised I can leave the shell unpainted and go box art on this one... if only I could buy day clothes wheels for it.

1 hour ago, Crash Cramer said:

HOW is it I forgot the GH2 had the same Striker wheels and tires. Now you can make yourself a SUPER G with some Fox/Wild One Wheels and tires and VIOLA, two yes two builds in one easy step. I now see the RISE OF THE STRIKERS as now wheels and tires are a bit easier to source.

Do you mean Fox and Wild One wheels fit the Striker too? The fronts are just bearings but the rear have the odd hub fitment like the GH2

2 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Phew I just realised I can leave the shell unpainted and go box art on this one... if only I could buy day clothes wheels for it.

Do you mean Fox and Wild One wheels fit the Striker too? The fronts are just bearings but the rear have the odd hub fitment like the GH2

Well, my first thoughts are "Aren't they the same" four little nubs in a + or X pattern, depending on the angle you are looking at it. Of course, you can theoretically bolt any thing on that uses a front bearing setup as long as it is not too wide and the rear with a hex, so anything modern could be slightly adapted. Mad Figher, et all.

14 minutes ago, Crash Cramer said:

Well, my first thoughts are "Aren't they the same" four little nubs in a + or X pattern, depending on the angle you are looking at it. Of course, you can theoretically bolt any thing on that uses a front bearing setup as long as it is not too wide and the rear with a hex, so anything modern could be slightly adapted. Mad Figher, et all.

I just pulled my FAV down next to the Striker and the FAV rear hub adapter would fit on the Striker axle pin sure enough to accept the FAV hub, but the Striker axle is too short to get the wheel locking nut on.

It might be possible to swap over the longer FAV rear axle to the Striker if it sits in the rear hub and accepts the drive shaft.... might have to try that one day if I really want different wheels on my Striker.

Striker has the 4 hole hub and FAV ( and Wild One I presume) have a 5 star pattern hub.

Grastens did fit a 12mm hex on the rear of his Striker (over the pin in the rear axle) but he said you could still see the pin when looked through the inside of the wheel, I tried it myself and saw the same issue, also the Striker axle is a little thicker than the standard 12mm hex centre bore hole.

Well the RISE has started lol ;)

42 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

I just pulled my FAV down next to the Striker and the FAV rear hub adapter would fit on the Striker axle pin sure enough to accept the FAV hub, but the Striker axle is too short to get the wheel locking nut on.

It might be possible to swap over the longer FAV rear axle to the Striker if it sits in the rear hub and accepts the drive shaft.... might have to try that one day if I really want different wheels on my Striker.

Striker has the 4 hole hub and FAV ( and Wild One I presume) have a 5 star pattern hub.

Grastens did fit a 12mm hex on the rear of his Striker (over the pin in the rear axle) but he said you could still see the pin when looked through the inside of the wheel, I tried it myself and saw the same issue, also the Striker axle is a little thicker than the standard 12mm hex centre bore hole.

Well the RISE has started lol ;)

Okay, SLOOOOOOW Down, the FAV is a carry over SRB style hub, the WildOne is a FOX style hub mate with the four nubs, soooo, Wild One 2 inch rear buggy and 2 or2.1inch(Can't remember exact size this second)fronts are carry over and Fox wheels are gold plated WO wheels and then there are the Striker and GH1 wheels and all the Flouro wheels are just redyed WO wheels, they stated it on their molds from back in the day. Hope that helps with no gearbox conversions, et al.

Ok I never had a SRB or a Fox so am not familiar with either of their hub fitments, all I know is what I have in hand.. ok done I'm waiting for GH2 wheels to appear real soon hopefully.

21 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Ok I never had a SRB or a Fox so am not familiar with either of their hub fitments, all I know is what I have in hand.. ok done I'm waiting for GH2 wheels to appear real soon hopefully.

Maybe this will help a touch, I nearly forgot that I had posted a variant I found on Fox wheels ages ago. This is the FOX wheels shown, from the mating side and thus, they are just plated WildOne wheels. Hope that helps out.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=94193&sid=2640

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crash Cramer said:

Maybe this will help a touch, I nearly forgot that I had posted a variant I found on Fox wheels ages ago. This is the FOX wheels shown, from the mating side and thus, they are just plated WildOne wheels. Hope that helps out.

those should all say "RCC Wild One"

the ribbings were added when SuperHornet appeared (first time I saw them), the SH orange wheels are in a brittler plastic & probable needed reinforcing. The White & gold plated plastic was more of a nylony compound which survived acetone (& racing!!).

s-l300.jpg

Early WildOne 4-nub hubs (also supplied in retailpacked SPare tyre pairs) were larger outer diameter and the ribbed wheel won't fit over it.

Later hubs fit both fine. 

They need a longer axle than the "5-slice pie" hub.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crash Cramer said:

Yep helps a lot thanks pal, and Vagabond linked me some alloy fox hubs to fit onto my Striker so they are all the same fitment, 4 hole jobs.

Won 2 seperate auctions from the same seller on 2x Cossie wings with mirrors. Bargain :o

DSCF1482_zps5ypyi8xv.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, christam said:

Won 2 seperate auctions from the same seller on 2x Cossie wings with mirrors. Bargain :o

DSCF1482_zps5ypyi8xv.jpg

Guessing that was local as I still have the off white set(minus mirrors) and the Orange set here, but I think another USA member might take them off my hands now.

8 hours ago, Crash Cramer said:

Guessing that was local as I still have the off white set(minus mirrors) and the Orange set here, but I think another USA member might take them off my hands now.

Yeah, UK seller. There's a surprising amount of cossie stuff on there right now.

15 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

I blame @Crash Cramer for this one.

IMG_0154_zps4awqto04.jpg

A forthcoming arrival from @SKYANDSAND puts this diff to the back of the queue...

Lots of remedial work stacking up...

Me??? Whatever did I do??? I blame YOU for buying up all the ball diffs and leaving none for the rest of us. I would be happy with another rebuild kit, but it has to have the locking screw, heck, I would be happy with just the locking screw, doesn't seem it was sold by itself. BUILD ON

• Like 1

This should be great! Looking forward to seeing your project updates!

Not really tamiya related but Thunderbirds was one of my favourite TV shows when I was younger. These arrived a couple of hours ago along with the dvds of the original episodes and once my daughter is old enough to appreciate these they're getting handed down to her so hopefully she'll get the same enjoyment out of them as I did when I was younger. 

20170406_202838.jpg

• Like 5