backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

6 minutes ago, Prescient said:

Delivery day 2. Bought from the chap who win the original auction the other day but for £50 less due to buyers remorse. 

Box is not in great shape but the kit is ready to be built and I'm building this one.

Obviously got damp, prob in garage and loft. Plenty of dead spiders and dirt in it but it's all sealed to the blisters including the body set fixed to the backing. The contents is very well preserved once you get through the initial.....

White end bell blister pack Lotus Honda 99T 58068 so a nice early one.

IMG_20171017_082136.jpg

Tamiya used to package stuff so much better, now its just all shoved in! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Funny how a cheap part from hobbyking, suddenly adds up! 

20171017_233444.jpg

I can't be the only person that adds another item to the basket, then checks to see if the postage cost has gone up? 🤔😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My RCMart order arrived today, after floating around the local mail depot for 4 days.  Its 2 Speed Passion Reventon Pro 1.1 ESC's, 2 Speed Passion 21.5T motors (see All Things Electric for mismatched endbell question), some rubber tyres for the TA07, a Protoform Touring Car body and a Tamiya F104 bodyset.  This was the biggest of the recent orders, but I forgot to add the pulley and diff oil for the TA07 as well.

20171018_121102

They even threw in a couple of motor heatsinks, only worth USD$2.90 each but hey, small wins.  Made the whole order worthwhile.

Now I'm waiting on 2 Hobbyking orders, 1 for servos and 1 for a TA07 kit.

• Like 1

I’ve gone to the dark, smelly side. Postie didn’t deliver it, I bought it home from the local shop with a full race pipe thrown in. I’ve decided to sell both of my Kyoshos, I’ll never use them and I don’t do shelf queens.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-hyper-vs-1-8-buggy-nitro-roller/rc-car-products/396618

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

I’ve gone to the dark, smelly side. Postie didn’t deliver it, I bought it home from the local shop with a full race pipe thrown in. I’ve decided to sell both of my Kyoshos, I’ll never use them and I don’t do shelf queens.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-hyper-vs-1-8-buggy-nitro-roller/rc-car-products/396618

In the past I have owned nitro/ glow engine cars, never got on with them. Spent most of the time trying to tune the gits!

I did have a Thunder Tiger DT10 that was pretty cool but once the engine was correctly tuned it was too hard to control. I also struggled with the separate battery for the servos and radio gear, would always run out resulting in a run away car.

These days I guess the technology has moved on, as has my knowledge 

Tbh, I think everyone should have a nitro in their collection, but, as novicelad said, you spend more time trying to tune them! Different % nitro fuel requires different plugs, I've found even just different brand fuel required a different heat range plug. Have a read up on rc nitro tuning before you start banging your head against a wall lol

3 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Tbh, I think everyone should have a nitro in their collection, but, as novicelad said, you spend more time trying to tune them! Different % nitro fuel requires different plugs, I've found even just different brand fuel required a different heat range plug. Have a read up on rc nitro tuning before you start banging your head against a wall lol

14 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

i have owned 2 nitros one being a t-maxx witch i sold and i own a revo know witch i brough new at time of release its olny had one new front end also witch is good for me but i took my revo to my lhs and got the owner to set it up and to this day i have not had to re-tune it and that was back in 2005 when he did it i think i have only gone through 2 plugs also so my advise is take it back to your lhs and get them to do it for you.

• Like 1

I've had 3 nitro car's, a 25 HPI Savage,which i never needed to touch (keep looking at the big blocks 🤔) but the 2 Schumacher's needed constant adjustment  (and constant new 3rd gear in the XTR3E!). Still have a Schumacher fusion for a nitro kick every now and then 😎

Kyosho Sandmaster arrived today, im a bit miffed as the only electrics its has is the motor. In the ad it said no radio gear which to me is no rx possibly servo, not the esc as well?

So not as good bargain as I first thought :(

Old lunchbox shell arrive earlier changed the glass to a clearer one (still vintage) not going to repaint as the old pantina looks great on it don't want to reverse the years of neglect lol somehow I'm going to fit it to my m01 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Man oh man, maximum excitement today. 

Some new plastic and acrylic polish :/

This stuff is soooooooo good for all sorts of polishing including scratches out of the inside of polycarb shells where kit parts have scuffed them. It says don't use on polycarbonate but it comes up better than it being scratched. Not crystal clear but soft polycarb/thermoform is hard to polish regardless. 

IMG_20171018_214333594-1336x752.jpg

• Like 1

Today I played postie and picked up the bearing kit for my Suzuki Swift M-03M from my mate's house after work. That's one essential upgrade acquired, steel pinion should arrive next. Oil shocks will have to wait for payday.

Although that said, I have heard/read several sources state that the M-03 is not really all that fussed about shocks, and that even the stock ones aren't too bad since they aren't purely pogo sticks - the rubber tubes in the shock bodies provide some damping action. I might concentrate on getting the right tyres first.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Prescient said:

Man oh man, maximum excitement today. 

Some new plastic and acrylic polish :/

This stuff is soooooooo good for all sorts of polishing including scratches out of the inside of polycarb shells where kit parts have scuffed them. It says don't use on polycarbonate but it comes up better than it being scratched. Not crystal clear but soft polycarb/thermoform is hard to polish regardless. 

IMG_20171018_214333594-1336x752.jpg

I think I need some of that to have a go at removing some scratches out of a rare(ish) ESC, where did you get it?

23 minutes ago, svenb said:

I think I need some of that to have a go at removing some scratches out of a rare(ish) ESC, where did you get it?

Should work, there are two parts, cutting and polishing. I use up to 7000 grit paper to do the cutting instead then polish below.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastic-Polishing-Compound-Haziness-Discoloured/dp/B009DHE0HK/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=yo_ii_img

• Like 1

Well Neil @theshopkeeper at timetunnelmodels pulled a blinder and found a TA03R A parts gear box spree from his archive for me.

This was the missing piece from my TA03R Avex Dome Mugen NSX kit which I was going to build. 

Sadly he only had one in the TRF chassis black not the kit default grey. However so that I could match he also found me a B parts spree. 

The chance of finding one years after he has held stock was slim, both was.....

IMG_20171019_113503-1314x1202.jpg

• Like 2

recent acquisitions, another TA03F chassis, but after inspection I bought some new hubs.

recent-buys-4.jpg

recent-buys-1.jpg

won some hotshot rims and tires. 

recent-buys-2.jpg

bought 3 boxes of syringes, so I can learn more about pneumatics. If what I want to do works out, I'll be doing a build thread at some stage.

recent-buys-3.jpg

Another FF01 and a half chassis. I'll use this for the Parma 850 Volvo body I bought not too long ago.

58183-FF01-Volvo-850-with-Parma-Body-1.j

Plus I managed to get a Nichimo Lancia Stratos RC car. Overall not too bad, seems to be only missing one rear light, maybe a mirror and there is only one crack in the body that I can find, but its out of the way. It seems to have a very early electronic speed controller. Not too sure how to go about restoring the body though, and if anyone has a manual for one of these, I'd be grateful for a scanned copy!

Nichimo-Lanica-Stratos-1.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Prescient said:

Well Neil @theshopkeeper at timetunnelmodels pulled a blinder and found a TA03R A parts gear box spree from his archive for me.

This was the missing piece from my TA03R Avex Dome Mugen NSX kit which I was going to build. 

Sadly he only had one in the TRF chassis black not the kit default grey. However so that I could match he also found me a B parts spree. 

The chance of finding one years after he has held stock was slim, both was.....

IMG_20171019_113503-1314x1202.jpg

A very lucky find indeed I believe. If the old TC member THe Super were still on the page, I bet he has a ton of TA03 bits, if indeed he kept the cars, I met up with him ages ago when I still lived in San Antonio and he adored the TA03 Chassis.

48 minutes ago, yogi-bear said:

won some hotshot rims and tires. 

recent-buys-2.jpg

CAREFUL WITH THOSE EAGLE TIRES I have had one split wide open simply trying to install it on a rim, they had never been used or mounted before me, but time was not their friend.

Plus I managed to get a Nichimo Lancia Stratos RC car. Overall not too bad, seems to be only missing one rear light, maybe a mirror and there is only one crack in the body that I can find, but its out of the way. It seems to have a very early electronic speed controller. Not too sure how to go about restoring the body though, and if anyone has a manual for one of these, I'd be grateful for a scanned copy!

Nichimo-Lanica-Stratos-1.jpg

THAT looks awesome, a real candidate for measurements for 3D printing if you ask me. On the ESC, is there any more photos of it??? It looks like it is in there sideways, so perhaps the previous owner wedged one in there they had laying around, would be interested in seeing more of the labels and markings on it, but then it looks hard wired to the motor, so questions abounds.

so today i had a package posted through the letter box and when i picked it up it had been ripped open and posted like that so i opened the door to see if i could see him and he was over the other side so i called him and he ignored me so i went over to him and he had his headphones in so i told him what hed done and he said he did'nt notice it was open to wit i said i don't believe he would'nt have not seen that and we had a few words so i told him that its a afence to mess with the mail and he was responsible and i was gonna report him. so i phone the number on the web site and the woman asked if it was deliverd in a clear plastic bag and i said no and that it had been teard open by the red pull string under the flap so she said that i would be contacted within 72 hours as the depot amnager has to investigate the matter first. so waiting for that to happen HOPEFULY....

Just a small one for me, a couple of spurs and pinions for my TA07, from a racer at the club I will be running at who is no longer running 21.5T Stock class, so the FDR is right.  48p rather than 64p but that should be fine, and they were cheap and easy to get.

• Like 1