backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

6 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

she can't just come on and see what I've been upto.

I have a deal with my wife. She doesn't get mad or do any of the "you bought another truck" stare down, instead she or I  order a new color of those Tieks flats that are popular in the states.

Kinda forces me to be slightly choosier to what I buy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, geniusanthony said:

I have a deal with my wife. She doesn't get mad or do any of the "you bought another truck" stare down, instead she or I  order a new color of those Tieks flats that are popular in the states.

Cripes... never heard of Tieks, now I have... Whats that all about then? US$175-345 for floppy foot coverings?!? That's like A$500!!!

Man, you're getting the raw end of that deal matey. :ph34r:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

Cripes... never heard of Tieks, now I have... Whats that all about then? US$175-345 for floppy foot coverings?!? That's like A$500!!!

Man, you're getting the raw end of that deal matey. :ph34r:

You are not wrong, I offer that we have our weaknesses and they have theirs. On the bonus side of the equation she doesn't mind a new kit showing up because presents.

I did say that I have become a bit more mindful of my purchases, which isn't the worst thing. The attic is only so big for the NIB collection. That's not to say a few might slide through before I start getting the look.

4 hours ago, geniusanthony said:

That seems like a good deal, even if they are expensive so is a grand hauler or egress, and there is the new TRF420

Update, Super Astute arrived today and all nicely hidden in plain sight with some empty kit boxes in the garage, and a bit of stuff concealing it a bit. It will stay there for a while now, I want to get a few bits like turnbuckles and the Ae spur gear to change from mod .5 and maybe some shocks...anyway, I just built the Top Force and rebuilt the RC10 B6D so no need to build a kit for a while 

• Like 3

Some goodies for the CR-01... now to decide what to try 2 or 3 hole pistons

IMG_0169.jpg

• Like 3

One of the small consolations that comes with no longer being married,  is that when I have a stretch like I have recently,  I can sit back and enjoy it!

kWaQgZt.jpg

• Like 8

On 2/3/2020 at 4:45 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

The problem is on Friday night (at 9.38pm apparently, when there was cricket on, you can see where this is going) I ordered a Super Astute, and not just the body but the whole kit (was a killer price 25% off, and lets face it I was going to end up with one at some point, or be sad when they sell out and then moan about it for 2 years).  The Super Astute is on its way now, I really hope I get that one and she doesn't.

I really need to change my name on this forum, anyone know how?  At least I could pretend then that she can't just come on and see what I've been upto.

Wow only moan for 2 years, you get over it much quicker than I do!

Name change might be a good idea to cover your tracks, you are No5 on a Google search behind a Financial underwriter, Digital Plus, Turkish Aerospace, PCW, :o.

• Haha 1

Ordered a cheap radio for the (well I guess I can call it his now) sons lunchbox, stops him destroying what's left of my old dx3c.

vSVUM6I.jpg

• Like 3

I should be staying away from gumtree, as I didn't really need this. So, searching gumtree last night, saw a cheapest CC01 in a suburb nearby, 1 hr later its in my hands :huh: I must admit I don't need it and it'll be at the end of a long queue of projects. Still the wife didn't mind me going out and getting another car as long as I bought something sweet back :D  Future plan is to put a Subaru Forrester body on it.

58588_Toyota_FJ_Cruiser-1.jpg

58588_Toyota_FJ_Cruiser-2.jpg

• Like 7

On 2/4/2020 at 12:38 AM, kwkenuf said:

One of the small consolations that comes with no longer being married,  is that when I have a stretch like I have recently,  I can sit back and enjoy it!

kWaQgZt.jpg

Really good looking clod buster box! You see why can't tamiya do all its special edition rc's like this instead of chrome stickers on the standard boxes?........tamiya please take note!

Some new transmission cases for my Blitzer Beetle after I sheared the case clean off with the suspension arm mount still atached to it after clipping a parked car with a 7.5t brushless setup.

49494344831_ea3cb9fb27_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

• Like 2

Two Futaba 203 receiver’s turned up today. One for the MB and a spare. Which will leave me one more vacant spot on a 3PV Tx. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Two Futaba 203 receiver’s turned up today. One for the MB and a spare. Which will leave me one more vacant spot on a 3PV Tx. 

The good ole spare rx. I always try to have a spare but then somehow I run out. What comes first, the rx or the car?!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The good ole spare rx. I always try to have a spare but then somehow I run out. What comes first, the rx or the car?!

Definitely the Rx before the car. That way it can’t be factored into the cost of the build because it was already in stock sitting doing nothing also known as ‘Upcycling’ I believe 😉

Ive seen a few 202’s going cheap and have been tempted as you only really need 2 channels for ripping around the garden. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

Definitely the Rx before the car. That way it can’t be factored into the cost of the build because it was already in stock sitting doing nothing also known as ‘Upcycling’ I believe 😉

Ive seen a few 202’s going cheap and have been tempted as you only really need 2 channels for ripping around the garden. 

Yeah definitely grab the 202s if they are cheap. I find that they seem to cost as much as the others though. I picked up a bunch of secondhand 304s not long ago...have 1 left. My son also runs futaba, not me. I need some Sanwa which come up less often.

• Like 1

Another Marui Big Bear and Shogun replica body. :D

Too bad customs liked it too, first time I had to pay import on these. Win some, loose some.

3gn4Emf.jpg

A few more bits arrived for the M05-RA build arrived today.

0E91C7D9-1401-45A8-908A-1316EA493CC7.jpg
I hadn’t considered putty before but have seen it in a couple of builds recently.

I might even be able to make a start now...

• Like 2

On 2/6/2020 at 4:25 PM, Re-Bugged said:

Ahhh... it's so admirable listening to you two use ways/means/excuses for justifying your purchases and the stories you both make up to fool your wives into thinking it's not as bad as it seems. 😄 

I bet there's a roundtable somewhere in the sky of OG Tamiya collectors smiling down on you saying things like "I taught him that one" and "Oh yes, the old, 'Oh no honey, I already had that part, so that makes it cheaper/look, I SAVED money!' excuse, that was a classic I used".

They would be proud of you guys 😎

I've used plenty of these before, my wife's eyes just roll back into her spine 😂 

• Haha 3

Some more bits for my upcoming wild dagger build 😀

AFA093BD-7597-4285-B42F-4AD47F632807.jpeg

• Like 2

50529 arrived today so I can swap the Top Force back to standard sized spur without the alloy drive gear. Its a shame that the FDR for the Super Stock TZ is reallt between the spur gears, so its a case of swap the spur but leave the pinion in.

Also got a new Surpass fan for my D418. I have broken a bunch of fans and this one has an aluminium case and claims 28,000rpm compared to most being around half that. It feels more powerful than the one its replacing, but I'm also hoping it will last longer as they seem to break easily. If nothing else they look cool

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

50529 arrived today so I can swap the Top Force back to standard sized spur

You were previously running the 69T from the speed tuned gear set right? Was this geared too high for it in the end or was the motor getting too hot?

9 hours ago, Superluminal said:

You were previously running the 69T from the speed tuned gear set right? Was this geared too high for it in the end or was the motor getting too hot?

I think the 69T would be ideal for racing as its only a 6min run, but I want to drop as a 4000mah lipo cam last for a decent run time and the motor was coming off about 65deg. This is ok, but too close to overheating for me.  There are a lot of variables in backyard running like length of grass, whos driving and how much crashing, so i want some headroom. I would put the 69T spur back in for racing. Its only 3 screws to change the spur, plus the motor position

• Like 1