backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

Motor, servo & wheels for my M08 Renault 5 Turbo project. 

51363557180_6f1f251885_b.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Superluminal said:

From Fuijo....the pictures dont do it any justice at all. Its bloomin lovely.

spacer.png

And here it is with the others (theres a Mercedes C11 i havent started yet to go with them)

spacer.png

The new Nissan and the Jag are beauties :wub:

• Thanks 1

Sad times at Juhunio Towers; Mrs J's sister sadly and quite suddenly passed away a few weeks ago, leaving behind a young family. Mrs J left Ireland 16 years ago to seek love, luck and a career, and with cheap and easy travel off the cards at the moment we've upped sticks and moved to the Emerald Isle for the summer to get her closer to the family as they all deal with the grieving and heartache :(

I'm testing the post-pandemic 'work from anywhere' theory to the limit with rural Irish broadband, but so far so good. They say every cloud has a silver lining, and the polish on this particular Irish-third (think about it!) is that I'm now back in the EU 🇪🇺  for a bit, so I'm taking advantage of hassle-free purchases from Zabawki, Tamico and others. This little lot arrived over the last couple of days, for various TA-02, TA-04, TB Evo III, FF-03 and DT-02 projects. 

spacer.png

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

Thanks, it was Fuijo who did all the hard work. The other too are factory painted editions. The Nissan R91 really is one of the best bodies Tamiya have ever produced in my oppinion. Its perfectly proportioned for the chassis and wheels and has a few extras such as the cockpit, wiper blade and mirrors as part of the kit.

The Jaguar and Mazda are a little too wide and the wheels tuck under a bit too much - the mazda shell tends to splay out far too much at the back. And they didnt come with any wipers or mirrors which i think really add to the realism. Ive added some to the Jag which i think were NSX mirrors which are a closes enough match but the mazda ones are a compleyey unique shape so will probably have to get something 3d printed for those.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

How does the weight compare to the standard chassis? 

It does look very nice BTW 💥

So the carbon fibre chassis is 111g.

The HS2/rere chassis is 96g.

Adding the battery cage arms brings it to 103g.

Adding the HS2 battery under gauge brings it to 144g.

I don’t have the HS battery under guard to weigh that or the SHS skid guard.

So for me it saves 33g on a HS2. Of course this is without fixings and it would leave the read gearbox exposed.

Anyone know how much the SHS skid guard weighs? With that too there may not be much it in.

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2021 at 1:10 PM, Superluminal said:

From Fuijo....the pictures dont do it any justice at all. Its bloomin lovely.

spacer.png

And here it is with the others (theres a Mercedes C11 i havent started yet to go with them)

spacer.png

where would you set about finding tires for these? I'm DYING to get one, but if there are no tires, I can't run it!

19 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

where would you set about finding tires for these? I'm DYING to get one, but if there are no tires, I can't run it!

To be honest im not going to run them - there isnt anywhere near enough economic parts supply to risk damaging them - particularly the bodyshells.

I have a fairly rough group c chassis project im looking to get up and running and from my experimentation so far I think you could probably make do with a set of sponge F103/F104W rear wheels and tyres and the diff hub pices and F104 fronts wheels and tyres.

The tyres have an almost identical outside diametre so should run / be geared the same speed its just the wheels are also larger with less side wall so they wont look the same as the group c wheels (but you can have a set for running and an original set for shelf)

• Thanks 1

@Juhunio I am sorry to hear about Mrs.J's sister, my condolences.  Hope things settle down a bit and can find a clear path for your family.  I wish you and family the best.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

@Juhunio I am sorry to hear about Mrs.J's sister, my condolences.  Hope things settle down a bit and can find a clear path for your family.  I wish you and family the best.  

Thanks man 👍

• Like 1

my heartfelt thoughts and condolences are with you and your family @Juhunio sending you all a Covid conscious hug.

really glad to see you are managing to maintain some normality and get a bit of "you" time through it all - it's very important for your mental health at such a difficult time. It's also a very selfless thing to do to up sticks and move away to help the family - you have my admiration sir! :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2021 at 9:42 PM, J@mes said:

Motor, servo & wheels for my M08 Renault 5 Turbo project. 

51363557180_6f1f251885_b.jpg

Hello James. I'm new here, first post and all that. I was actually thinking of doing the exact same build, Renault 5 on an M-08. I'm only at the "thinking about it" stage and only checked as far as confirming the wheelbase was compatible. May I please ask you, what parts are needed to get the correct Renault 5 track width for the rear on the M-08? Thank you!

3 hours ago, Zealot said:

Hello James. I'm new here, first post and all that. I was actually thinking of doing the exact same build, Renault 5 on an M-08. I'm only at the "thinking about it" stage and only checked as far as confirming the wheelbase was compatible. May I please ask you, what parts are needed to get the correct Renault 5 track width for the rear on the M-08? Thank you!

Hi @Zealot & welcome to Tamiya Club  :D

What a coincidence, I expect we’re not the 1st or last to attempt this though  ;)

I’m going to try a combination of wider wheel hexes (5mm in the kit & I think I can use 7mm with serrated nuts rather than nyloc) Plus 32mm wide tires from a TA02SW Porsche kit on modified minilites. By modified I mean I have a spare set that I’ll cut & fix to the outer lip of another set increasing the width to around 31.5mm. 

I hope you find this useful and I encourage you to start a build project in ‘The Builds’ Good luck matey  :)

@J@mes nice project. Im tempted by an Renault R5, I love this car ,great memories.

Would you create a topic under "The Build" section ?I keep an eye on it anyway :)

1 hour ago, J@mes said:

Hi @Zealot & welcome to Tamiya Club  :D

What a coincidence, I expect we’re not the 1st or last to attempt this though  ;)

I’m going to try a combination of wider wheel hexes (5mm in the kit & I think I can use 7mm with serrated nuts rather than nyloc) Plus 32mm wide tires from a TA02SW Porsche kit on modified minilites. By modified I mean I have a spare set that I’ll cut & fix to the outer lip of another set increasing the width to around 31.5mm. 

I hope you find this useful and I encourage you to start a build project in ‘The Builds’ Good luck matey  :)

Nice project 👍but aren't the Tamiya wide tyres only suitable for touring car wheels not M-chassis wheels!? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J@mes said:

How would you go about fitting (any) touring car tires on M-chassis wheels, which I believe have a smaller diameter? You have my curiosity.

In other - and more relevant to this topic - news, I received this recently, and I've already started building it:

20210808-003947-1.jpg

Edited by DeadMeat666
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

How would you go about fitting (any) touring car tires on M-chassis wheels, which I believe have a smaller diameter? You have my curiosity.

In other - and more relevant to this topic - news, I received this recently, and I've already started building it:

20210808-003947-1.jpg

Hmm good point, should check the fitting when I’m back home (on holiday currently)

12 hours ago, Goudar said:

@J@mes nice project. Im tempted by an Renault R5, I love this car ,great memories.

Would you create a topic under "The Build" section ?I keep an eye on it anyway :)

I was grateful to you for the tip to use the Tamiya tool stand for dampers in your M08 build thread - it worked well for me :)

12 hours ago, svenb said:

Nice project 👍but aren't the Tamiya wide tyres only suitable for touring car wheels not M-chassis wheels!? 

You are right, that’s a wheely good point, thanks for this. I found some hpi minilites that may take the TA02SW slicks but the wheels might be too big for the chassis so I could also try making some 32mm m chassis radials, this is not going to be a race car!

• Like 2

A couple orders finally arrived. Couple f1 bodies and handful of parts, mostly for f1, haven’t decided what the buggy shocks or bz motor are going on yet.

481335D1-2993-4CA0-AC65-D241E44C40CF.jpeg

• Like 4

got the last kit i will ever buy, this time i meant it.(..?) wont have much space to store or separate play time with them all after this one is built. still waiting on a few goodies to replace screw pins on this kit and i got 2 other kits before this one. it will give me the drive to finish off the current build a bit quicker.

IMG_4725a.jpg

IMG_4726a.jpg

• Like 7

Got a couple of MST XB60 ESC's (rebranded HW1060, but cleaner looking with less colours), 1up bullet plug grips and some bearings for the extra wheel sets for my Turbo Scorpion. 

Elefun-bestilling2.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TurboRSR said:

Got a couple of MST XB60 ESC's (rebranded HW1060, but cleaner looking with less colours), 1up bullet plug grips and some bearings for the extra wheel sets for my Turbo Scorpion. 

Elefun-bestilling2.jpg

Gee those motor wires look very long on those ESC’s. That would be handy where the motor and esc placement is spaced well apart. Even the battery lead looks long

8 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

Gee those motor wires look very long on those ESC’s. That would be handy where the motor and esc placement is spaced well apart. Even the battery lead looks long

They are really long, it also says "long-wire" on the packaging. But the motor wires doesn't have any bullets/snap connectors like the HW1060, so you have to do some soldering (or crimping). That's probably why they are that long. 

• Like 1