backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

7 minutes ago, simalarion said:

@Willy iine - can you not put them under your amazing magnify glass with led light?, you just found another use for it!

Now geezer approved!!

IMG_Dec142021at34242PM.jpg.7a1600ecc824bf9b1ce46d7880bb5108.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, toyolien said:

Honestly? Not sure. Just liked the look of them and they were in stock. Will have to see if they compliment or ruin the look of the buggy...

Just liked the look of them......That's good enough👍! How many times have we all bought something not even rc related and then why? I bought some van trainers a fair few months ago because I thought they looked pretty cool then realized they clashed with everything I put on 

TA02 HS Gear Set arrived today, the last of the necessary Hop Ups for the Anniversary 934. These can all now get packed into the kit box for safe storage :ph34r:

spacer.png

• Like 4

The last pieces for my CR-01 project

913B2DA8-07BE-437E-9689-3946C84CF994.jpg

Unfortunately, the new bumpers don’t come with fixings so I’ll have to consult the manual and see if I have the relevant parts in stock.

• Like 3

My first brushless motor and a TBLE-04SR.  These will go in the my DB01

20211216_151913

• Like 7

3 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

Anyone know why it's so hard to find a Wild Willy 2 Body Set, unfinished?

RCMart have the body shell for sale. 

• Thanks 1

Last night I decided that the bearings for my CC02 were most likely lost in the mail and getting a new set would take until next year so I built the rest of the truck.  Today, the bearings arrive.  Ah well, at least they got here.

I picked up a few things at the local hobby shop today amid all the Christmas shopping.  There was a couple buying what I think was an Arrma Granite monster truck for their 10yo son ahead of me in line discussing if a truck going 100km/h is too much.  Growing up with silvercan 540s and NiCad packs is a whole different world compared to today.

N9mjtMC.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

Anyone know why it's so hard to find a Wild Willy 2 Body Set, unfinished?

I think @Willy iine has all the willy's. Luckily he finishes them to a very high standard so a finished one should be fine!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, GeeWings said:

@BlistaYou found the holy grail, also known as PS-55. I was starting to believe it was just a myth!

Bit of an impulse purchase.  One of those paint cans you know will be out of stock if you ever need it.  At least that's what I tell myself when buying stuff I don't need.  ;)

• Haha 1

I agree Jon.   It was leaked to me that Willy's wife asked him what he wanted for Christmas and he rolled his eyes.

Speaking of which my local shop has one on the shelf, I'm trying to control myself.

• Haha 2

On 12/15/2021 at 12:57 PM, Juhunio said:

TA02 HS Gear Set arrived today, the last of the necessary Hop Ups for the Anniversary 934. These can all now get packed into the kit box for safe storage :ph34r:

spacer.png

mate, get cracking.

Edited by acprc
Removed swearing

28 minutes ago, JeffSpicoli said:

You use Testors over the Tamiya line for detail painting?

I use TS, PS, and Tamiya acrylics (airbrush), but I've been using Testors for over 4 decades so just stuck with it for brush painting.  I did notice they changed the formula some time ago and not as good as it once was.. 

I only use the very basic colors and just mix as I apply.  

17 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I use TS, PS, and Tamiya acrylics (airbrush), but I've been using Testors for over 4 decades so just stuck with it for brush painting.  I did notice they changed the formula some time ago and not as good as it once was.. 

I only use the very basic colors and just mix as I apply.  

The only thing I don't like about the Tamiya brush paint is it seems to leave a texture, you can never really get a smooth finish.

18 minutes ago, JeffSpicoli said:

The only thing I don't like about the Tamiya brush paint is it seems to leave a texture, you can never really get a smooth finish.

Is that with Tamiya enamels?   I've never tried their enamels so I don't know..

I will say that some level of brush stroke is good.. that gives it the handmade vibe.  One of the reasons why I don't spray/airbrush everything.  I don't want the robotic mass produced finish on everything, if that makes sense. 

However I've seen lint and foreign matter stuck in sprayed bodies by folks that claim they are expert modelers .. that is not good.  Even I don't have lint stuck in my paints or huge orange peel (by scale) even though ghetto paint booth and mostly rattle can.  :ph34r:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Is that with Tamiya enamels?   I've never tried their enamels so I don't know..

I will say that some level of brush stroke is good.. that gives it the handmade vibe.  One of the reasons why I don't spray/airbrush everything.  I don't want the robotic mass produced finish on everything, if that makes sense. 

The small bottle, acrylics.   I never thought about that, but it makes sense to want the hand made look.   But honestly your Willy drivers look factory!   The lines and quality are just so high.

• Thanks 1

Just now, JeffSpicoli said:

The small bottle, acrylics.   I never thought about that, but it makes sense to want the hand made look.   But honestly your Willy drivers look factory!   The lines and quality are just so high.

Thanks.  Yeah, those acrylics are very difficult to paint with a brush.  I suggest enamel or lacquer for brush painting. 

1 minute ago, Willy iine said:

Thanks.  Yeah, those acrylics are very difficult to paint with a brush.  I suggest enamel or lacquer for brush painting. 

Does Tamiya make small bottle enamels?

11 minutes ago, JeffSpicoli said:

Does Tamiya make small bottle enamels?

I think they do.  I’ve seen it on their catalog, but never seen them in person.  

• Thanks 1