backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

6 hours ago, 16_Bit_Mr_J said:

Something yummy 😁

Now that is yummy! Congrats!

• Thanks 1

A copy of @optimaforever 's artbook of Kyosho Optima derived cars and few others - some very unique and id never heared of before.

The artwork is really nice and the production quality very good - its nice to see the chassis fully modelled on some of them as well so you can see the mechanical evolution over time.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

@Superluminal It's great isn't it? At the weekend I had a proper look for the first time since buying it and it's so well done. Have you seen his Top Trump cards too?

• Like 2

An unexpected delivery,

308144B1-8FE2-454F-BC16-634509581C9B.md.

3 Molotow chrome pens I didn’t order them, my son sent them out of the blue, perfect timing as my one has just finished 😃

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, GeeWings said:

@Superluminal It's great isn't it? At the weekend I had a proper look for the first time since buying it and it's so well done. Have you seen his Top Trump cards too?

Yeah they're pretty cool! Amazing amount of work thats gone into it.

19 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

3 Molotow chrome pens I didn’t order them, my son sent them out of the blue, perfect timing as my one has just finished 😃

What sort of nibs do these have? Are they like felt tips or a fineliner type point?

• Like 1

You can get three different sizes. They also do ink for airbrushing.

I've got the big nib version and it's pretty impressive. You just need to be very patient in letting it dry or it is easy to spoil the finish. 

71KtNGE4U1L._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.c4d6f3916ad84f92d326535a0c56a7a2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Does it stick to lexan and can you paint ps paints over it?

I believe @Juggular used one on the inside of a Lexan body, from memory it just looked silver from the outside, the PS paint was fine over the top of it.

I’ve only used it on hard bodies myself applying the liquid chrome over a mat black. 

• Thanks 2

Sounds promising for some lightbuckets on bodies that are moulded into the offcut lexan around the main shell instead of the chrome plated platic ones

@Re-Bugged  Would one be able to achieve a consistent flat (as in surface flat, not matte flat) finish for say a rear view mirror with those pens?

If so I need to get some.. my silver brush painted mirrors look horrid.. :ph34r:  mainly due to uncontrolled metallic particle orientation.  But if it's chrome, perhaps I can do a wet coat and get a consistent glass like flatness.. (?)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

I've used it inside and out on Lexan. The problem on the outside is that it's easy to spoil the finish although you can touch-up as needed.  I would paint inside whenever possible though.

• Thanks 1

I got a couple more 1060 ESCs with pre-installed Deans plugs... and a bunch of replacement Tamiya plugs.

IMG_20220210_171345051_HDR.jpg

Weird and ironic, I know, but there is a reason. Newer cars = lipo = Deans plugs. Older cars = NiMH = Tamiya plugs. And a lot of mine are worse for wear, especially on the old speed controllers I keep dragging back from the dead. So I got replacements.

11 hours ago, 16_Bit_Mr_J said:

Something yummy 😁

20220210_123830

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find that motor?   Regular retailer or eBay?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OnTheTrail said:

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find that motor?   Regular retailer or eBay?

Regular retailer. PBM Racing, I went to order another one not long after and they were showing out of stock so I might have had the last one off them 

https://www.pbmracing.co.uk/products/motors/_p_45461_kyosho-le-mans-490-30t-legendary-series-brushed-motor-37021-/

20 hours ago, Superluminal said:

@Re-Bugged has a very good memory!  I've done it almost 3 years ago.  

Yes, Liquid Chrome sticks to Lexan. It's shinier looking from inside than looking from outside, but it's quite usable. 

ZkDvRdL.jpg

It has to be dried well.  I would dry at least 12 hours, even though it's acrylic. (I tried the same trick on some other shell. It didn't work well because I only waited for 2 hours on that shell.)

VQymmNo.jpg

After completely drying, you can paint it over with PS paint.  

AFJZIQv.jpg

FjI9Fnc.jpg

You can see that there are tiny bits of PS orange penetrating. But it's difficult to see.

(This is not because Liquid Chrome dissolved. This one was well dried. When you draw, it leaves some spots uncovered. If you draw over it again, you'll make it worse. But it cleans like magic with rubbing alcohol. So you can re-do from clean slate again.) This was drawn by hand, because the shell has nice grooves running along.)

JsyS03Z.jpg

3KIM2gE.jpg

I put the sticker only on the door at this time.

(Eventually I cover them all with stickers. My aim was when the sticker gets peeled off, my Prinz would keep the silver trim under it.)  

VgOauHm.jpg

I tried masking. It doesn't work. Masking might work if you air brush?  Liquid Chrome is so watery, no masking tape can stop the seep from a pen. 

bjmla6Q.jpg

(Please excuse the film)  If you compare liquid chrome to Tamiya PS Silver, Liquid Chrome is a bit brighter and more silvery.  

I only use it on small spots like this grill. (Even this, I think I'll cover it up. Hand-drawn grill is never as sharp as a sticker.)  You can't use it on wide areas with a pen. As mentioned, you'd need an airbrush for that. So I had to use Tamiya silver on the bumper. Tamiya looks more like magnesium aluminum than "silver."  

But for small spots like door handles, Liquid Chrome is very convenient. You don't have to mask anything. You draw with a pen. If you mess it up, wipe it away with alcohol and do it again. (everything was done with a 2mm pen) 

VZnyjOK.jpg

Drawing on the outside would be shiner. But if you touch it 5 times, it will be all gone.  So unless you want to clear coat it, you have no choice but to do it under the lexan. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

The bigger the area the harder it is to get a glass like finish from the pen @Willy iine, I did all the trims and bumpers on my Brat. The bumpers could be better but was my first time with it and I was more than happy. Practice does make perfect. 

Air brushing is the way for a floor less finish..

Search air brushing Molotow chrome on YT brings up lots of results 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Received a beautiful stash of new Madcap parts today. Including an uber rare new still sealed in bag chassis.

ySUOs17.jpeg

After 5 1/2 months of searching, I now have almost all new parts to do a shelf queen build and now only need some hardware (but can probably make do with existing screws etc.) and the blue shocks X parts tree! Anyone got one?;):lol:

• Like 7

21 hours ago, 16_Bit_Mr_J said:

Something yummy 😁

20220210_123830

Yeah unobtainable PS-1 and PS-5! 

Oh the beetle is pretty cool too 😉

• Haha 2

spacer.png

From Modelsport, a 4.5T motor. Time to try and kill some gearboxes. 

From Aliexpress, a surprise. A package that according to tracking, had been returned to sender upon landing at Heathrow, containing a measurement guage, turnbuckle spanner, motor fan (to keep the above motor cool while trashing some gearboxes) and a shocks pliers. 

10 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Received a beautiful stash of new Madcap parts today. Including an uber rare new still sealed in bag chassis.

ySUOs17.jpeg

After 5 1/2 months of searching, I now have almost all new parts to do a shelf queen build and now only need some hardware (but can probably make do with existing screws etc.) and the blue shocks X parts tree! Anyone got one?;):lol:

I don’t have the parts tree, but I do have the shocks

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

I don’t have the parts tree, but I do have the shocks

Ah thanks mate. Yeah I've got a few sets of used shocks, but sadly I've become obsessed with the idea of doing a new build with all 1989 original parts as they would've been from the NIB kit. This hobby can do some pretty strange things to ya I tell thee!!

• Haha 2