backtomyroots

The "Postman Brought Me" Thread

4 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Got a miniature Optima today.. lol  :lol:    I'm sure @toyolien and @moffman would be very jelly.   jk ;)

IMG_2023-4-19-112030.jpg.e6a26aa41a79363b8697c7e30d652dbd.jpg

Mate that is fantastic I’m jealous:wub: I’ve known they exist but never seen one actually in the flesh! Is it die cast or plastic? And I’m wondering if they do all the optima in miniature? Excellent find well done;)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, moffman said:

Mate that is fantastic I’m jealous:wub: I’ve known they exist but never seen one actually in the flesh! Is it die cast or plastic? And I’m wondering if they do all the optima in miniature? Excellent find well done;)

Haha, thanks for playing,  :D  Yeah, it's diecast and very well made like Kyosho's other diecasts.  I hear there is a TurboScorpion version and a buggy from a more recent release (not sure which model).  I'm going to look for the TurboScorpion one next.  :D

• Like 2

Postie dropped this off today! It’s a bit of an odd one for me because I missed it when it originally came out back in 2007 (I think?) I was just getting back into rc from having to put the hobby to one side for a while because of bringing up kids and mortgages and all that grown up stuff:rolleyes: and it was a toss up between the re-re hotshot or the Durga and at the time the hotshot won because of the nostalgia I always thought I’d get the Durga eventually and 16 years later it happened:o got some cool hop-up coming for it:)

IMG_0058.jpeg

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Haha, thanks for playing,  :D  Yeah, it's diecast and very well made like Kyosho's other diecasts.  I hear there is a TurboScorpion version and a buggy from a more recent release (not sure which model).  I'm going to look for the TurboScorpion one next.  :D

I’m on the prowl for one as we speak! Mind you I’ve just received my Durga so the funds may have to be diverted into this? 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, moffman said:

Postie dropped this off today! It’s a bit of an odd one for me because I missed it when it originally came out back in 2007 (I think?) I was just getting back into rc from having to put the hobby to one side for a while because of bringing up kids and mortgages and all that grown up stuff:rolleyes: and it was a toss up between the re-re hotshot or the Durga and at the time the hotshot won because of the nostalgia I always thought I’d get the Durga eventually and 16 years later it happened:o got some cool hop-up coming for it:)

IMG_0058.jpeg

Cool.

Just started building my Durga.

10 hours ago, Elbowloh said:

Cool.

Just started building my Durga.

Cool hope to see it on here soon and you can give me any tips on the build? I’ve got some hop-ups coming for mine and it’s going to be a few weeks or so before i get around to actually starting it! I was intending to get the body professionally painted but I’ve decided to spend the money on said hop-ups and just stick to the box art with a bit of a twist!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, moffman said:

Cool hope to see it on here soon and you can give me any tips on the build? I’ve got some hop-ups coming for mine and it’s going to be a few weeks or so before i get around to actually starting it! I was intending to get the body professionally painted but I’ve decided to spend the money on said hop-ups and just stick to the box art with a bit of a twist!

I'm only doing mild hop-ups. I have F&R alloy suspension blocks and mounts, the blue alloy steering mounts (not realising the stock are alloy also, just not blue), fluorine coated suspension balls, ceramic diff balls (had these spare already) and TRF Aeration Buggy Dampers (not big bore). Oh, I've also got some bearings for the steering, as the kit comes with 4 brass bushes (4x 850 bearings). I'm using the stock philips screws as I have JIS drivers and have not stripped a thread so far in previous builds!

Can't find the slipper anywhere. 

I have  Super Stock TZ to use and maybe try brushless later if I can find a slipper.

From reading, the biggest issue people have is putting the machine screws into the stock suspension blocks (literally step 1 of the build), but having the alloy blocks removes that issue. Otherwise, it would be fine by tapping the thread in the plastic blocks.

Tip one, there are tiny plastic rings/shims that go into the diffs. They are about 1mm thick and when you cut them from the sprue, they can just break. You need 2 for the build, the kit comes with 3.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Elbowloh said:

I'm only doing mild hop-ups. I have F&R alloy suspension blocks and mounts, the blue alloy steering mounts (not realising the stock are alloy also, just not blue), fluorine coated suspension balls, ceramic diff balls (had these spare already) and TRF Aeration Buggy Dampers (not big bore). Oh, I've also got some bearings for the steering, as the kit comes with 4 brass bushes (4x 850 bearings). I'm using the stock philips screws as I have JIS drivers and have not stripped a thread so far in previous builds!

I have  Super Stock TZ to use and maybe try brushless later if I can find a slipper.

From reading, the biggest issue people have is putting the machine screws into the stock suspension blocks (literally step 1 of the build), but having the alloy blocks removes that issue. Otherwise, it would be fine by tapping the thread in the plastic blocks.

Tip one, there are tiny plastic rings/shims that go into the diffs. They are about 1mm thick and when you cut them from the sprue, they can just break. You need 2 for the build, the kit comes with 3.

Excellent advice on the suspension blocks! And shims!;) apparently the whole buggy is shimmed absolutely everywhere? 

35 minutes ago, moffman said:

Excellent advice on the suspension blocks! And shims!;) apparently the whole buggy is shimmed absolutely everywhere? 

Yeah, its the first kit I've built from NIB that comes with loads of shims (others being TT02, TT02 Type S and DF03).

4 different packs of them! 

I've only got as far as putting in the suspension blocks, steering post mounts and building the diffs, so haven't used many shims yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elbowloh said:

TamiyaUSA has the single slipper in stock, Item 54018. There are some threads here that talk about the single vs. double slipper. My Durga is still not built so I can’t comment 😢. Plaza Japan has a few DB01 upgrades as well. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Room335 said:

TamiyaUSA has the single slipper in stock, Item 54018. There are some threads here that talk about the single vs. double slipper. My Durga is still not built so I can’t comment 😢. Plaza Japan has a few DB01 upgrades as well. Good luck!

Thanks.

Yeah, got most of my hop ups from Plaza.

1 hour ago, simalarion said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I always add few hi torque servo saver when I make an order from PJ… stock servo savers are no good :(

• Like 2

This just arrived.  Allow me a little backstory.  I wanted one of these as soon as they came out - at the time my 3yo daughter loved putting stuff in the back of my G6-01 pickup as I drove it around the garden, but it's a typical Tamiya pickup body and stuff always fell out.  We were stuck at home in lockdown, and I thought, if we had one of these, and I put in 4ws and a slow motor and she could drive it herself.  I could even motorise the tipper and she could have hours of fun with this and her similar-scale Tonka dump truck and crane, which are survivors from the 80s.  Only problem was, they were prohibitively expensive - no way I was paying that for something she was going to throw rocks and pebbles in.

Well, a year or so ago, there was some flooding at RaceCraft RC's premises in Bath, and some stock got damaged.  Among it, one of these!  The box was destroyed and the parts got dirty, but it was 100% complete.  It went up for sale at a huge discount (around 30% off the regular price), and I kicked myself for not having the money to buy it.  I sat there, day after day, watching as it stood unclaimed on the Facebook post, until eventually it fell off the bottom of my algorithm.

Last week I called into RaceCraft to get some SRB parts.  I'd done my finances that morning, and I was feeling flusher than I expected, and it's always dangerous going into a model shop when you're feeling flush.  While I was there I spotted some yellow parts sticking out of a broken cardboard box.  Five minutes later and I've type in my PIN number in exchange for this badboy.  Missing the original box and some of the paper bits, and a bit dirty with floodwater damage, but otherwise 100% complete of all the important bits and never been out of the plastic packaging.  I was on my motorcycle at the time, so Adie said he'd box it up and have it posted.

It was delivered ten minutes ago, bizarrely enough by a UPS man who bore more than a passing resemblance to Jamie Booth :mellow:

sm_IMG_20230421_110618.jpg

There'll be a follow-up thread whenever I get around to doing something with it.  Problem is, although I wanted this like crazy when it came out, it occurred to me while I was waiting for it to arrive that my daughter doesn't really do much when I'm racing my trucks around now, and hasn't shown any interest in any of her other RC stuff in almost a year.  So the idea of building this as a tipper is less appealing.  It's still a G6-01, so there's load of other project ideas, if I sold on the Volvo body and tipper, but then, do I need the yellow chassis?  So would I be better off swapping it for a standard G6-01?  And yet - while this was a big bargain over the RRP of a Volvo A60H, it was still more than a Konghead.  So actually I could have just bought an NIB KH and gone crazy with the mods on a standard black chassis.

Anyway, something will happen with this sooner or later - maybe my daughter will fall in love with it and want it built so she can throw rocks in it, maybe I'll come up with a neat idea to make it a little different to all the other A60Hs, or maybe I'll do something totally crazy with the chassis and keep the body and tipper for a solid-axle build sometime in the next decade...  Or maybe somebody will see this post and say some little thing that inspires me...

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Twinfan said:

The final piece of the motor collection has just arrived, that's me done!

spacer.png

Can't see anything!?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, svenb said:

Can't see anything!?

It works for me, and I assume the two people who liked the post?

It's an Acto Tuned M-spec motor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twinfan said:

It works for me, and I assume the two people who liked the post?

It's an Acto Tuned M-spec motor.

Strange

But nice motor 👍🏻

Screenshot_20230421-144925.png

1 hour ago, svenb said:

Can't see anything!?

Doesn't work for me either as my work server blocks certain picture hosting sites.

4 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

This just arrived.  Allow me a little backstory.  I wanted one of these as soon as they came out - at the time my 3yo daughter loved putting stuff in the back of my G6-01 pickup as I drove it around the garden, but it's a typical Tamiya pickup body and stuff always fell out.  We were stuck at home in lockdown, and I thought, if we had one of these, and I put in 4ws and a slow motor and she could drive it herself.  I could even motorise the tipper and she could have hours of fun with this and her similar-scale Tonka dump truck and crane, which are survivors from the 80s.  Only problem was, they were prohibitively expensive - no way I was paying that for something she was going to throw rocks and pebbles in.

Well, a year or so ago, there was some flooding at RaceCraft RC's premises in Bath, and some stock got damaged.  Among it, one of these!  The box was destroyed and the parts got dirty, but it was 100% complete.  It went up for sale at a huge discount (around 30% off the regular price), and I kicked myself for not having the money to buy it.  I sat there, day after day, watching as it stood unclaimed on the Facebook post, until eventually it fell off the bottom of my algorithm.

Last week I called into RaceCraft to get some SRB parts.  I'd done my finances that morning, and I was feeling flusher than I expected, and it's always dangerous going into a model shop when you're feeling flush.  While I was there I spotted some yellow parts sticking out of a broken cardboard box.  Five minutes later and I've type in my PIN number in exchange for this badboy.  Missing the original box and some of the paper bits, and a bit dirty with floodwater damage, but otherwise 100% complete of all the important bits and never been out of the plastic packaging.  I was on my motorcycle at the time, so Adie said he'd box it up and have it posted.

It was delivered ten minutes ago, bizarrely enough by a UPS man who bore more than a passing resemblance to Jamie Booth :mellow:

sm_IMG_20230421_110618.jpg

There'll be a follow-up thread whenever I get around to doing something with it.  Problem is, although I wanted this like crazy when it came out, it occurred to me while I was waiting for it to arrive that my daughter doesn't really do much when I'm racing my trucks around now, and hasn't shown any interest in any of her other RC stuff in almost a year.  So the idea of building this as a tipper is less appealing.  It's still a G6-01, so there's load of other project ideas, if I sold on the Volvo body and tipper, but then, do I need the yellow chassis?  So would I be better off swapping it for a standard G6-01?  And yet - while this was a big bargain over the RRP of a Volvo A60H, it was still more than a Konghead.  So actually I could have just bought an NIB KH and gone crazy with the mods on a standard black chassis.

Anyway, something will happen with this sooner or later - maybe my daughter will fall in love with it and want it built so she can throw rocks in it, maybe I'll come up with a neat idea to make it a little different to all the other A60Hs, or maybe I'll do something totally crazy with the chassis and keep the body and tipper for a solid-axle build sometime in the next decade...  Or maybe somebody will see this post and say some little thing that inspires me...

Some kind of Thunderbirds inspired vehicle. Like the one they land the jet airliner on?

On 4/19/2023 at 6:16 AM, Kpowell911 said:

So my latest Plaza Japan order just landed. For those of you not familiarv with Plaza Japan, they still price in Japanese Yen,  not USD, as I believe their economy isnt great, theyre one of the few places its still worth importing from right now. Postage isnt cheap, and I usually just buy a far amount of stuff to make it worth while. I usually pay around £20 postage and luckily havent been hit with any taxes thus far. They seem to take a while to "ship" but once it ships its normally at my door within 3/4 days?

However it does mean you add random stuff. So I bought some sets of Tyres and Tyre Foam. The Tyres work out around £3 a pair and the Foams less than a quid, so why not, theyll do for the TA-02s Ive bought. I also added an TZ motor to go with my previous BZ, just need the RZ now for the 3, why have I bought another brushed motor I hear you ask? They were £17 (vs £52 over here) so. 

gp3dKzs.jpeg

you also get random rubber eraser things, because Japan

aijd5bF.jpeg

Then the reason for the order and something for a project that might not go ahead now because I recently splurged on some TA-02s, and need to get some service work done on my Van. 

But Ive got a TT02 SRX on the way from Japan. My idea was to make a sort of "Ultimate" TT-02 as close to a TRF as possible. Using genuine Tamiya bits. I was then going to add a Lancia Integralle Rally Body/wheel set and have it shelved with my other 90s rally cars. However, thats probably going to turn into a £600 shelfer, even more with electrics, of something thats not particularly desirable or capable. I could get an Avante/Egress/934 ReRe for that.....

Might sell it all NIB at a loss, but hey the idea was there. Still not 100%. Either way I did order a few hop ups for it. Again all from Plaza, with the stuff above, I think this entire order was around £120 inc postage. 

g3rUBZr.jpeg

However, Tamiya Bling, and I kinda wanna build a kit and finish a body. Even though a TT02 isnt exactly exciting, the shimmed TRF arms etc at least make it a bit more exciting? I dunno. Check for sale section soon if you fancy this. Maybe. 

Just a little "BEWARE" about those blue ball connectors.  I bought some of these for my tt02b and they made the steering SO SLOPPY. I swapped them out for the brass ball connectors and its not sloppy anymore. There are others who have mentioned the same results.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, danimaldaisy said:

Just a little "BEWARE" about those blue ball connectors.  I bought some of these for my tt02b and they made the steering SO SLOPPY. I swapped them out for the brass ball connectors and its not sloppy anymore. There are others who have mentioned the same results.

Thanks, mainly for a bit of bling for the shelfers