Well after taking as good of care as i could for my BMW my wife decided today she was going to drive it around town... Backing up she failed to see one of those big things called a pole and nailed the rear end on it...

Needless to say I am a bit upset and in need of a drink atm.. Tomorrow I'll go to a few body shops and see how much the damage will cost, if its nominal I may choose to not go through insurance as I think its considered a collision and might bring my bi-yearly rates up.. B)

BMW1.jpg

BMW2.jpg

BMW3.jpg

BMW4.jpg

It happens. If it makes you feel any better, a week after getting my Scion tC (far cry from a Bimmer but it was still new with double-digit miles on the odo) a <insert derogatory expletive here> dinged my door while I was buying christmas gifts.

My first brand new car in seven years and the joy was smeared within seven days.

:D Ouch! I feel for your pain Guys. I went through all this suffering when I first contracted SCS "Shiney Car Syndrome". :D

Don't worry there is a cure, take a Land Rover Defender :D twice a day at least, preferably restored X Army or fresh straight from the farm. No carpets to worry about, no door or roof lining to stain or rip.

When the enevitable crunch does happen, just get your rad roller and tin of matt NATO green out and repaint it yourself! Some dents may have to be hammered slightly but no need to polish! Other cars are your "crumple zone" :lol:

My wife doesn't drive stick shift so it's safe from her, the kids think it's really cool, they make machine gun noises while laughing their heads off and they love the air conditioning via the front vents, also they can smear their Ice Cream or Chocolate all over the seats without being grounded for a week!

Nearly forgot, it also runs on a 50% cooking oil and 50% Diesel mix with no mods, now thats cheap and cheerful and the exhaust smells of fresh fried doughnuts, what more could you ask for? B)

Thank the Lord I am cured! :D Rule Britiannia and her Defenders! :D

:huh: Ouch! I feel for your pain Guys. I went through all this suffering when I first contracted SCS "Shiney Car Syndrome". :o

Don't worry there is a cure, take a Land Rover Defender :D twice a day at least, preferably restored X Army or fresh straight from the farm. No carpets to worry about, no door or roof lining to stain or rip.

When the enevitable crunch does happen, just get your rad roller and tin of matt NATO green out and repaint it yourself! Some dents may have to be hammered slightly but no need to polish! Other cars are your "crumple zone" ;)

Well, it's been a year since i got dented, so the sting has worn off long ago but I hear you about shiny car syndrome. I've owned two jeeps since '94 and am aware of shiny car syndrome.... the part that hurt me about my car was that it was NEW. If it was used or paid for I wouldn't have given a flinch. But now that it IS paid for, it's all water under the bridge B)

Well after taking as good of care as i could for my BMW my wife decided today she was going to drive it around town... Backing up she failed to see one of those big things called a pole and nailed the rear end on it...

california = LHD... hang on, that's the DRIVER'S SIDE??!

how the heck do you not see a pole coming if its on driver's side?!!

kerb side maybe, easy to hide behind the fat c-pillar... but driver's side

you'd at least get full panoramic view from your side mirror.

my current beef are carpark poles which are shorter than your bootlid height :huh:

Is a minor damage, but it will lighten your wallet by a few hundred bucks and hope the painter will do a good job in working the new paint with the old.

If it makes you feel any better, my better half in her younger days, took her father's new Benz with her father as passenger. Returning to the parking lot, a truck was parked in front and and also behind the Benz. She managed to mash the front head lights and the rear lights trying to drive out, while her father was sitting in the car and could hear the lens cracking. In the end a stranger (my father in-law wasn't able to drive at the time), had to drive the car out for her and her father never said a word, just shooked his head. :huh: (Just picture you just witness your daughter or wife just mashed the front of your new car and than proceed to do the same to the back end. You got to have total control of your emotion inorder not to say anything.)

The look on her face at the time was punishment enough to her dad and harsh words would not change the situation or warranted. He is one man that I respect, beside letting me marry his daugther.

I work at a UK dealership for BMW and this sort of thing is fairly normal. A dent char will sort it out for about 300 retail- guess about $600 ish.

The best thing to do is go into your local dealership and ask a salesman for the guys details that they use (not the bodyshop- They charge fortunes)

Good luck.

Ryan

that'll polish out!!

i had a brand new works van a few years ago;

monday - delivered to work and taken to signers

wednesday - delivered back from signers

thursday - loaded up to go and fit a kitchen, big lorry didnt see big van - big van died

yep 4 days and 40ish miles on the clock, only drove it once!

Well the quote I got yesterday was for $1675, on a brighter note she can't complain much about me spending on RC cars since at least i have something tangible out of that transaction B)

I may shop around for quotes but realistically I will just report this to insurance, pay my $500 deductible and hope my policy cost doesn't go up too much as this is a pretty low cost claim.

Yes California/US is Left Hand Drive, and I have no idea how she managed to hit a pole on the drivers side.

:rolleyes: bunch of amateurs

Couple of years back I got a bit too confident with my ability to park at about 30mph in reverse, swung the front end out an inch or so too far, and just nicked the front wing on a drainpipe

vectra1tx2.jpg

Trouble was, it also hooked under the front bumper and ripped it off, did about 1200 worth of damage ;)

vectra2wk9.jpg

vectra3gz8.jpg

:o The power of leverage!! :o It's amazing how geometry affects the damage in a shunt! My Wifes old merc 190e winter hack was rear ended while waiting at the lights by a hatchback, she can't remember which make due to the following, the shunt pushed her foward a few feet, but her motor only had a few extra scuffs on the already scratched rear bumper. The other car on the other hand had a completely smashed front end and was pouring coolant all over the floor and steam into the air. The lady driver was so shocked by the state of her car that she came over all faint and the missus had to sit her down. My Wife felt sorry about the way she was feeling, as her motor had only been slightly scuffed, and not to add to the poor girls grief, with the driver's premission and when the lady felt well enough, she drove off without taking details! I checked the car over and I noticed that the bumper 5mm out at one end but nothing else to speak of other than a few new scuffs. I'm impressed.

:o I know I know! ;) She certainly has a different mind to me, (X job) ;) a better one perhaps, :rolleyes: luckily I wasn't there and taken into consideration the total lack of stress for us at least, her decision to ignore it has turned out to have been the right one! B)

Well the quote I got yesterday was for $1675, on a brighter note she can't complain much about me spending on RC cars since at least i have something tangible out of that transaction :rolleyes:

I may shop around for quotes but realistically I will just report this to insurance, pay my $500 deductible and hope my policy cost doesn't go up too much as this is a pretty low cost claim.

Yes California/US is Left Hand Drive, and I have no idea how she managed to hit a pole on the drivers side.

Wow, I thought under $1k should be sufficient, I guess the dealer figured you can affort a Bimmer you can affort the repairs. I try to stay away from dealer, I assume the quote of $1675 is a dealer quote, since their overhead is huge.

A simple solution is to have your wife pay the deductible but you may be eating TV dinner for the rest of the year and sleeping on the couch.

:lol: The power of leverage!! :lol: It's amazing how geometry affects the damage in a shunt! My Wifes old merc 190e winter hack was rear ended while waiting at the lights by a hatchback, she can't remember which make due to the following, the shunt pushed her foward a few feet, but her motor only had a few extra scuffs on the already scratched rear bumper. The other car on the other hand had a completely smashed front end and was pouring coolant all over the floor and steam into the air.

I recalled, over 10 years ago, a porsche was rear ended by a Taxi (Toyota) and like your wife's 190e, sustained minor, minor damage but the taxi front end was totalled.

A simple body panel push test between the 2 makes would explain why one make only received scuffs and the other requires major repairs and replacments.