Sign in to follow this  
bangstick

First Foray Into Racing For 15 Years

Anyone into indoor offroad racing? Not sure if this is common but i started racing this week in a village hall in Faversham in Kent

http://www.forcc.co.uk/

Its a great club, people are friendly and its nice and relaxed, none of that touring car secrecy where they set their cars up all covered up so nobody can copy them? Its on a polished floor and they use Schumacher 8x10 spikes so its really drifty. I don't think they say you HAVE to use those but they seem to think thats what works best. Everone seems to use 4wd buggies but it says on the site you can use whatever buggy you want. Its quite tight and technical so i think 4wd is the way forward. I am using a Tenth Technology XLS which is great but might try my new Avante MK2 to keep the Tamiya spirit alive in the depths of Kent.

Skip the Avante MKII (DF03) and go straight for a new Durga (DB01). The DF03 chassis is weak as the suspension still mounts directly to the gearboxes which is just a terrible idea. The Durga will be MUCH more cabable, but it will cost a little more. I have a really good feeling about it...

PS: I used to love indoor offroad until they closed down the local track due to pure lazyness....:lol:

Skip the Avante MKII (DF03) and go straight for a new Durga (DB01). The DF03 chassis is weak as the suspension still mounts directly to the gearboxes which is just a terrible idea. The Durga will be MUCH more cabable, but it will cost a little more. I have a really good feeling about it...

PS: I used to love indoor offroad until they closed down the local track due to pure lazyness....:)

I only got the DF03 as a bit of fun, the transmission noise it makes just sounds cheap! I have checked the pinion isn't too tight so i don't know whats wrong. Perhaps it just needs some runtime to bed the gears in and it will quieten down, maybe? Perhaps its just like my old blitzer beetle and is meant to sound that way? As much as i like my Tamiya's i know that other brands are far more competetive and a fair bit cheaper compared to what you have to spend on Tamiya's to make them anything like as good as something like a losi or yokomo buggy.

Nothing quite like the feeling of beating more expensive cars with a cheap old Tamiya though :)

Are you still going to Faversham?

That's what people were saying about the DI compared to the DF-02 or Manta Ray.

That's what people were saying about the DI compared to the DF-02 or Manta Ray.

We just finished a Durga last night. I must say the car is a tank. It's simply the most solid chassis I've ever held in my hand. Can't wait to get it into the dirt. It really is way nicer than the DF-03. Of course you do have to deal with belts and machine screws in glass reinforced plastic. Better have a fresh #2 screwdriver bit...

We just finished a Durga last night. I must say the car is a tank. It's simply the most solid chassis I've ever held in my hand. Can't wait to get it into the dirt. It really is way nicer than the DF-03. Of course you do have to deal with belts and machine screws in glass reinforced plastic. Better have a fresh #2 screwdriver bit...

Hey dude, BigR and I finished it up today by painting the body/wing, and switched to a 21 tooth pinion, etc. It runs real strong, heat build-up is managable with the 21 tooth and its a good balance of speed/heat with the motor in it. The 23 tooth in it was making it way too hot, and the 17 we ran it with was dooooogg slow.

Has anyone here actually used a Durga at the track? if so, is it competitive? I am thinking of getting another 4WD buggy as my DF-03 was a bit dissapointing to be honest (sorry fellas!) and this may be a possibility IF it is competitve.........if not I would rather spend a bit more on something that is.

People have only just got them. Jimmy Storey over at Oople got his built yesterday to get it on the track today. Not been the best day for him, but his best lap times using only a 14x2 motor was only around 0.5 off the pace using the kit setup and no slipper.

No doubt he will have a full review of it on his site when he can get it finished.

People have only just got them. Jimmy Storey over at Oople got his built yesterday to get it on the track today. Not been the best day for him, but his best lap times using only a 14x2 motor was only around 0.5 off the pace using the kit setup and no slipper.

No doubt he will have a full review of it on his site when he can get it finished.

Thanks for that Terry, might just hold on for a bit to see a review........do you know if you can you get 48dp spur gears for them? would save me buying tamiya pinions as I have a box full of 48 and 64dp ones...

The Durga, like the 501X, comes with 48dp spurs as standard. The slipper should also fit B4 spurs as well.

Of course you do have to deal with belts and machine screws in glass reinforced plastic. Better have a fresh #2 screwdriver bit...

I realize the Durga has many competitive advantages over the DI (shock tower mounting position, better motor cooling, etc.), but I just have a hard time accepting belts as an efficient drivetrain. They probably are, but I just can't accept them as such (besides the fact I'll save hundreds not building a new buggy). I'm sticking with my DI.

I have to agree with Z. The Durga is a more competition-designed car than the Dark Impact, but the DF-03 is still a good design capable of winning races. I find it rather bothersome to see the DF-03 chassis trashed and everybody jumping on the Durga bandwagon (especially when I remember how everyone got so excited back when the Dark Impact was released). The DI is a good competitive car, just not as high in the food chain as the Durga.

I don't quite understand your guys point. So your saying that even though the DB01 is tougher, stiffer, includes a hand-full of spare pars, 3 bags of shims, cost the same, comes pre-tuned, and has WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP race proven suspension, the guy should still buy a DF03? :lol:

My point is the DF-03 is still a viable, competitive car for those that don't need something as high end like the Durga. I must admit some of this is due to my aggravation to how the DF-03 chassis has been treated of late. Folks were VERY excited when the DI came out. Now people act as though its total rubbish and not worth a look since we have the Durga now. I'm not debating the fact that the Durga is a superior car to the DF-03. I'm just stating that not everyone that wants to be mildly competitive needs a Durga. I think most of this stems from people's misinterpretation of the DF-03 in the Tamiya line-up. People rushed out and bought the car and then proceeded to spend big money on hopping it up. Then out comes the the 501X and its nothing like the DF-03 and folks realize that the DF-03 was not Tamiya's ultimate effort after all. I like alot about the DF-03 design but I also believe alot of things were poorly executed on that buggy. I accept this as I understand the DF-03 is a basher with the ability to be mildly competitive. The Durga is competitve with the ability to be highly competitve. Reasons to buy the DF-03 over the Durga? 1. some prefer maintance free shaft drive 2. Its $80 USD cheaper 3. Some just don't need that dedicated of a racer like the Durga. The way I look at, the DF-03 is like the Boomerang and the Durga like the Vanquish. Only on the plus side, the Boomerang could never have been competitive in the by the time the Vanquish came out and the DF-03 actually does stand a chance.

I would not call shaft drive cars maintenance free, less maintenance maybe, but not maintenace free......

Reasons to buy the DF-03 over the Durga? 1. some prefer maintance free shaft drive

I always forget that some people have have drivetrain preferences. Makes a lot of sense.

BTW: The Durga can be had for amazing prices if purchased overseas. The price difference is not as big as you think...

I always forget that some people have have drivetrain preferences. Makes a lot of sense.

BTW: The Durga can be had for amazing prices if purchased overseas. The price difference is not as big as you think...

Once you figure in the price of shipping it in from overseas, it's not really worth it. Also, if you weren't around when the DI was released, read this:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25860

This is the second time I've posted this in two days, both to demonstrate that all the buzz over the Durga isn't a new thing. Almost everything people are saying about the Durga now (except for the race-proven chassis stuff), people said about the DI when it was first released.

I read that thread a long time ago when was thinking about my next buggy. I think the Oople reviews are based far more on fact that such hype & speculation. Oople should have their Durga review in just a couple days. The car is completed, Jimmy just needs to race it a couple times...

Plus, we already have a Durga in my circle, and I'm telling you it's an amazingly solid car. No buzz or speculation here. Just putting it out there, and not trying to one-up anybody...

And even though shipping is a factor (of course), the price is only $20 difference even if you buy the DI locally. These cars cost much more at a local hobby store, than they do from the far East. For example, the TA05R would cost $260 from Tower, and only $150 from RC-Champ. I don't think postage will cost $110. And besides that, the prices locally are even higher than Tower Hobbies (especially in Las Vegas). DB01 is still only $20 difference over the DF03 (if even that)...

I read that thread a long time ago when was thinking about my next buggy. I think the Oople reviews are based far more on fact that such hype & speculation. Oople should have their Durga review in just a couple days. The car is completed, Jimmy just needs to race it a couple times...

I read the Oople review on the Keen Hawk, and, although it documented the build well, I think the reviewer missed the memo when he installed a brushless system without installing a slipper clutch. Most experienced members on TC would know better than that. Now, mind you, I don't read Oople reviews often, this could be an isolated case; I don't know.

Plus, we already have a Durga in my circle, and I'm telling you it's an amazingly solid car. No buzz or speculation here. Just putting it out there, and not trying to one-up anybody...

I believe that, I mean, you can't argue with world championships. I just don't think that isn't enough club racetrack for both the DI and the Durga.

And even though shipping is a factor (of course), the price is only $20 difference even if you buy the DI locally. These cars cost much more at a local hobby store, than they do from the far East. For example, the TA05R would cost $260 from Tower, and only $150 from RC-Champ. I don't think postage will cost $110. And besides that, the prices locally are even higher than Tower Hobbies (especially in Las Vegas). DB01 is still only $20 difference over the DF03 (if even that)...

I never buy cars locally (My LHS panders to nitroheads), so I wouldn't know about local pricing. But I do know it's more economical to buy a DI through Tower than from the far east. Tower charges $139 for a DI, with some nominal shipping charge (probably around $10). Jason's Store on eBay sells DIs for $123 with $45 shipping-- almost a $30 difference. Also, the difference in price between the Durga and DI is not $20, probably closer to $45. Tower sells the Durga for $219, the cheapest Hong Kong seller on eBay sells the Durga for $185 shipped; quite a bit more than a DI.

Just a quite note: I'm not trying to start a flame war; merely enjoying some good, healthy debate!

Just a quite note: I'm not trying to start a flame war; merely enjoying some good, healthy debate!

Don't worry, I agree 100%...

The best price on eBay I've found for the Durga was $128 + $38 for slow shipping.

The best price overall for the Durga is $121 from RC Champ, but I cannot get them to give me a shipping quote without actually placing the order... :(

Got my DB01 for 98 inc shipping, a DF03 would have cost 92 so it was a no-brainer really. Got a slipper and front one-way as well and the whole lot came to 126. An imported B44 would have been 185 and whilst I appreciate its a better car I am such a bad driver that I'd rather spend the 60 I saved on loads of spares from Stella or suchlike as they are soooo cheap.