Sign in to follow this  
Singapore_959

Rm1/3 Tornado & Dyna Storm Racing Photos

RM 1 on track again!!! :lol::unsure::angry:

Last weekend was race day number 3 of this season. My continuing quest show that VINTAGE is BETTER! :angry: carried on.

This time I took the RM1 but with the 'optional' aerodynamic body - which is the RM3 Tornado body infact. And ofcourse the trusty Dyna Storm.

Ianandrce3Nov07105.jpg

And HOW DID IT GO? I hear you all screaming at me, anxiously. :(

..... not quite as good as usual :D

.....but still pretty good none the less! :-D

RM1 w TORNADO body

FnlPos Laps F.L.Time

Q1 14 19.663

Q2 13 19.304

Resulting in B Main start position of 6

R1 4 :-) 16 16.286

R2 4 16 16.281

R3 3 !!! 17 16.076

WELL HAPPY with that outcome! I did use smaller cells this time, the Tyrell re re 1700 pcks, as I have not driven her for 7 months and its too quick for me normally so this kept it a little better under my control for the first time out in ages. But by the end of the day I was back in the groove, and the packs were just too low powered, hence not making enough speed/time for A main. The packs were easily dumped by the fourth minute, leaving the last minute obviously slow. Hooo!

Ianandrce3Nov07083.jpg

It was markedly better driving with this body than with the Can Am body. Which is a pity since the Can Am body rocks! But definitely it is more planted to the track with this shell. Intestingly (and annoyingly) to fit the shell half the little white spacers under the body posts have to be removed. 2 are used on each side, and you have to go to one each to fit the aero body properly. So the swap bodies and play shown on the Tamiya advertising video-film is misleading. The body sits much to high with those in place. And without them the CML body sits too low. So it is not swap it instantly.

I did have to raise the rear slightly to give sufficient safety margin of clearance between the body and rear wheels. If you recall I didn't do this with the RM2 Datsun at the first race, resulting in the tire getting nicely cut and shredded. D'oh! So you will see the nice little red spacers in the photos below. The left side is a bit lower than the right, hence the blue spacer was used on the top to raise that side a little bit more.

Also last time with the RM1 CML in the last race the transponder holder I rigged from lexan untaped itself. So this time I have, what I think, is a nice permanent solution. Using the transponder holder for the modern Tamiya touring cars I used an exisiting hole in the chassis (for the orig speed controller) to mount the transponder holder nicely. I had to put in a couple of blue spacers to raise it up a bit to give space to slide the transponder in and out. Only one screw was needed. It looks nice and works well.

I also borrowed the scales from the factory TRF driver and re weighted the chassis and tweaked it using the two chassis tweak screws till it was all even. I have the exact final weights on a piece of paper somewhere. I will look for it and post them up when I find it. But it was 200g something on each corner with the transponder in place. Nice and even.

So I was well chuffed with the 3rd place and now I am back in the groove can go back to the 3600mah cells next time. It is such a BLAST driving this car!!!

Final points to note is that I still prefer driving it with the fixed axle (I tried the diff the night before but its just lumpy AND (willy chang!!!) It WAS DIFFING OUT!! in the corners! :lol: so I know what you meant now. I could actually see it loosing power. haha was well cool seeing that and instantly remembering the TC thread we discussed this in!

Dyna Storm

I LOVE THIS BUGGY but this is the first time I have really had problems with it.

I broke FOUR rear arm mounts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't believe it. Every time I went out they seemed to break. And absolutely without hitting anything. The last one broke during the free practice at lunch on the FLAT track without jumps!! I can only summise they have an age use/fatigue limit or the cold finally got to them.

It is just good luck that I am a heavy traveller and bring ALL my cars and stuff with me to the race. I was able to use the spares from my last seasons (better) race car and then I scavenged them from the TR-15T that I bought for testing bits on my still going super-secret DS project.

So I was able to continue. (I have a TR-15T in excellent condition, inclu brand new motor for sale excluding the above bits, fyi)

Still my driving seems to be crapping out tho as my times were slow and I only qualified 3rd, B Main. So much for A main again.

But come first race - disaster! Somehow my arial got ripped clean off, right out from the reciever! :o And thus I found out that the effective distance before the car shuts down without even a mm of antenna wire is..... about 4 meters max!!

D'OH! I managed 7 laps before this happend, and typically.....

was in first place when this happend. YAAAAAI YAAAAAI YAAIIIIIIIII. NOT HAPPY JAN, as an Australian saying goes.

Fixed it and made up one of those internal car antenna wrap around mounts so there is no chance of that ever happening again. At least the DS looks viciously cool now with a mega short antenna sticking out now. Looks like an expensive radio now! haha

Race 2 was just scrappy and poor, I finished 6. Six after starting P3! Bah!

At least I finished the day in the last race with a respectable 2nd. ! :-P <_<

Still, B main. And off the A main top 3 by over 3 seconds. The new leader is driving a ZX5 and the nearest daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark impact is almost a second behind. Still I beat LOTS of these daaaaaaaaaaaaaaark nightmare cars, comming 2nd in B! grin.

so some photos:

Ianandrce3Nov07067.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07066.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07064.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07062.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07063.jpg

The competion!

Ianandrce3Nov07068.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07070.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07101.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07099.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07096.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07085.jpg

OHHHHHHHHHHHH! Almost forgot. We had a funny bit, the series sponsor finally was racing himself, and was doing it BEAUTIFULLY

with his F1 when he got sideswiped and the resulting BANG! with the wall broke his chassis in half at the T part. So we had a 959 lying around and wired it up and then had to think about a body. I had offered him my RM2 Datsun to drive, but like everyone else, he is too worried to drive it (wimps!) and refused to be persuaded to use that and come 'play' on track with me. So in the end at least we came up with the solution of mounting the Datsun body on the 959. It was very funny and fits perfectly!! :-D I didn't mind cutting a few extra holes in it to mount it - these things are meant to be USED! and then we all had good fun watching him drive it so nicely and smoothly around during the A main with all the other F1s WIZZING by! when the Black Death RC 10L sliced past it it was like a scene from star wars or so! It was so funny seeing the 959 with the Datto body leeeeeaning into all the corners. We were cheering for it! :-)

Ianandrce3Nov07088.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07089.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07087.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07092.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07093.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07094.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07084.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07082.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07078.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07079.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07080.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07074.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07075.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07073.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07119.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07118.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07111.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07108.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07104.jpg

TRF driver!

Ianandrce3Nov07102.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07097.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07121.jpg

Ianandrce3Nov07120.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the report!

Always a good read!

It's a shame that the guy who was going to make alloy arm mounts for the Dyna Storm never came through...

Always a good read!

It's a shame that the guy who was going to make alloy arm mounts for the Dyna Storm never came through...

Never fear! hahaha! (lol, star wars type accent) I am getting some made up here. If the price is cheap enough I will offer to make others. In this part of the world the cost should be better than in the UK. I will post up a thread about it. I am expecting to get the details next week. I have a couple of supplier options.

Still, this is the first time these parts have broken for me. So I was pretty surprised, then irritated by the 2nd, not to mention by the 4th time!!

Lol, still blasted past the daaaaaaaaaaark impacts tho :P:D

Thanks for the reply. It really makes the thread effort worthwhile! :D

Ive always enjoyed reading your race reports , especially because your using classics to kill cookie cutters ( ok , not so much kill but definitely giving them a run for their money :D ) . Though I cant say Ive ever replied to any of the older posts ( or at least cant remember :blink: ) I thought it was time to at least say as far as I'm concerned your race reports are the only ones that keep me reading from top to bottom . Definitely keep them coming and may the RC racing gods bless you and your cars at the next race .... :)

Ive always enjoyed reading your race reports , especially because your using classics to kill cookie cutters ( ok , not so much kill but definitely giving them a run for their money :D ) . Though I cant say Ive ever replied to any of the older posts ( or at least cant remember :blink: ) I thought it was time to at least say as far as I'm concerned your race reports are the only ones that keep me reading from top to bottom . Definitely keep them coming and may the RC racing gods bless you and your cars at the next race .... :D

Thanks Floyd, that means alot! :D:)

It's great to know that I am not alone in getting a such a kick out of competing vintage Tamiya's :) THANKS!

Another pervable shot that just screams 'USE IT!!' to me... :P

Partslot008-1.jpg

:)

• Like 1