ernest2

3 Speed Servo

hi! has anybody notice the gear shift servo in the 3 speed tranny to be warm or hot? i just notice mine after running about 5 mins on first gear that the servo is somewhat warm - hot. is this normal? or am i binding something?

thanks

Sounds as if it's binding matey- Have you checked the throws against the gear selector positions?

Yep, as Ryanbored mentioned. You really need to ensure that the servo horn is adjusted so that the pushrod is never still trying to push when you've selected 1st or 3rd. Otherwise after a while it will (as yours does) get hot. One should note: that a servo is quite happy in any position as long it is free to attain that position, and consequently, when it has got to that demanded position, it will no-longer try to drive the motor and become warm.

Yours is a clear case of poor adjustment. Have a tweak, making sure that at full throw in both directions that the gearbox itself remains stationary and ONLY the selector shaft moves.

Mud.

As Mud says nothing is binding but in either first or third gear the servo is trying to move further than the linkages allow it, so the servo gets hot as it is constantly trying to push on the linkage when it is at the limit of travel. The servo wants to go further than the gearbox linkage can move. Adjust the servo linkage to make sure the servo movement matches the movement of the gear selector and the problem will be fixed.

short version of the above:

try moving the rod one hole closer to the servo.

servo's still trying to push after shift is fully engaged. the resistance was creating heat.

thanks i will check for any binding. i have already adjusted the servo travel, i might need some more.

thanks

As Mud says nothing is binding but in either first or third gear the servo is trying to move further than the linkages allow it, so the servo gets hot as it is constantly trying to push on the linkage when it is at the limit of travel. The servo wants to go further than the gearbox linkage can move. Adjust the servo linkage to make sure the servo movement matches the movement of the gear selector and the problem will be fixed.

I'm still having problems but in my case the shift servo will rip the shift rod out of the ball connector (stripping the treads) I tried to moving the rod one hole closer to the servo but did not help. Unfortunately i have the futaba 4wd radio so there's no EPA adjustment function. Any other solutions?

which 3spd? :P

are you using a plain horn or a servosaver already?

servosaver could allow some 'give' so you don't rip off bits unnecessarily; pretty strong servo you got there

which 3spd? :)

are you using a plain horn or a servosaver already?

servosaver could allow some 'give' so you don't rip off bits unnecessarily; pretty strong servo you got there

Willy it's the Hilux highlift, with standard servo plain servo horn as instructed in the instruction manual.

I finally solve it by moving one hole close to the servo and shortening the rod a little bit than the instruction it worksperfectly now.