GTodd

Standard Shock Springs On Hicaps?

I just ordered a set of hicap bodies for my TF but they do not include the springs. Will the springs from the standard shocks of the TF fit onto the Hicaps? I guess I should have asked this question before I ordered but oh well I am a little impulsive sometimes.

I just ordered a set of hicap bodies for my TF but they do not include the springs. Will the springs from the standard shocks of the TF fit onto the Hicaps? I guess I should have asked this question before I ordered but oh well I am a little impulsive sometimes.

Forget the springs. What are you gonna do about the shock bladders? The replacement shock bodies do not come with bladders, and CVA ones will not fit. Your gonna have to find two packs of "53077 Hi-Cap Damper O-ring Set"...

5157_1.JPG

If the springs you have don't fit, just buy a "53054 Short Hi-Cap Damper Spring Set"...

4b8d_1.JPG

Also, you will definitely want to use the "53076 Hi-Cap Damper (short) Plastic Parts Set" because the pistons are a different outer diameter. And without the proper upper & lower spring perches, the springs will just rub away the grey color on the shock body...

5a_1_b.JPG

Just ordered you are the man!!!!!!!!!!

Just so you know, you would need 2 sets of the plastic parts and two sets of the o-ring sets to build both front & rear shocks (looks like you only ordered 1 of each). It would have probably been much easier to just buy the original Hi-Cap damper sets. The complete damper sets come with all the special bushings, balls & spacers to properly mount these dampers. It's not as cheap & easy as it seems. About the only parts you can reuse from your original shocks would be the shafts... :D

The following image shows how the Hi-Cap dampers should be mounted. The top uses a 6mm ball, a thick rubber bushing, a special shaped aluminum "bushing base" and a 7x3mm aluminum spacer. The bottom snaps onto a standard 5mm ball stud. You can use pretty much any brand 6mm ball for the top, and the rubber bushings are still available from Tamiya (part #9805385 has 2 in a bag so you need 2 bags). The bushing base and the spacer are much tougher to get a hold of as they were only sold with Avante, Egress & Top Force Evolution for damper mounts, and various other cars for suspension spacers. You could always use plastic spacers found on most r/c cars, and it will work just fine, but you still need to find the bushing bases...

EgressShockMounts.jpg

Another option for the bushing base, and spacer would be to get a Dyna Storm Mount Bag (part #9405807). It has a newer version of these piece combined with a threaded inside, and knurled outside which makes it really easy to assemble, and also makes the assembly more sturdy. The Mount Bag comes with 4, so you don't have buy multiple bags.

D-StormMountBag.jpg

Plus, you could always simply rig something up to work as well...

Well I just got my shock bodies and I now have some answers: The springs fit fine, there is no rubbing of the springs on the body, the seals are already installed and the blader that sits on top of the shock in the cap fits perfectly, only issue is the piston which I will have to use from some parts I have the one from the TF and any CVA its diameter isnt big enough, and the collars to adjust ride height arent wide enough. But as this is going to be a shelf queen/some time runner EVO these two issues are negligible. Thanks guys for the help. Oh yeah to mount the shock I just used an extra black rubber O ring, it looks good, cant even tell its there and it is functional and clean!!!

P.S.S. I just got the collars to fit, I just needed to heat them up a little bit and wala colors that fit!!! Cant even tell that originally their inside diameters were a little too small. Adapt, improvise and overcome. Oorah!!!!!!

Well I just got my shock bodies and I now have some answers: The springs fit fine, there is no rubbing of the springs on the body, the seals are already installed and the blader that sits on top of the shock in the cap fits perfectly, only issue is the piston which I will have to use from some parts I have the one from the TF and any CVA its diameter isnt big enough, and the collars to adjust ride height arent wide enough. But as this is going to be a shelf queen/some time runner EVO these two issues are negligible. Thanks guys for the help. Oh yeah to mount the shock I just used an extra black rubber O ring, it looks good, cant even tell its there and it is functional and clean!!!

P.S.S. I just got the collars to fit, I just needed to heat them up a little bit and wala colors that fit!!! Cant even tell that originally their inside diameters were a little too small. Adapt, improvise and overcome. Oorah!!!!!!

Well that's good news. Thanks for the update.

When you say the bladders in the top "fit", did you use the ones from your old CVA dampers, or the special blue hi-cap ones?

The black standard cva's work, the only thing that did not work was the pistons from top force, but for some reason spare pistons I had from older cva's fit.

...but for some reason spare pistons I had from older cva's fit.

The yellow ones?

I know this is a bit of a thread revival, but which LOSI springs do I need to buy to fit with HiCaps on a Top force?

Is it their 12mm onesĀ for the LOSI22?

Or the ones for the Mini-B?

Or the ones for the Min-T?

Or some other ones I cant find!!

Thanks

Andy

On 11/8/2022 at 6:08 AM, AndyB_Evo1411 said:

I know this is a bit of a thread revival, but which LOSI springs do I need to buy to fit with HiCaps on a Top force?

Thanks

Andy

Not sure about the losi question butĀ due to building my EVO rere I discovered Tamiya utilized the Buggy BigĀ Ā Bore Springs with the hicap. Just need the big bore shock retainer. Keeps it all in the family!

On 11/8/2022 at 1:08 PM, AndyB_Evo1411 said:

Thanks

Andy

It would have been the Losi 1/10th buggy springs from that era, but things have moved on and all the buggies are using much bigger bore shocks now.

• Like 1