Mad Ax

Rc10 Gold Tub - Transmission Help!

Hi all,

I acquired an RC10 gold pan from another TCer a while back. I noticed straight away there seemed to be something up with the gearbox, but since I was in no rush I hid it away and forgot about it until today. I've just stripped it apart to take a look inside, and I'm wholly confused.

Inside the transmission case are 6 gears. Does this mean I have a "Stealth 6-gear transmission" - or was that something different? For a long time I've wanted to know the difference between a Stealth and a non-stealth (visible? regular? full-caffiene?) transmission, but haven't found anywhere that actually tells me.

Anyhoo...

It appears that the transmission is made up of two halves - a left half, and a right half. Naturally. There are 3 gears driving the left, and 3 driving the right. The left-hand gears are driven from a long threaded input shaft. The right gears appear to be driven from a metal hub through which the input shaft runs independantly.

I guess that means that between the metal hub and the threaded shaft there should be a spur gear that doubles up as a differential. Is this correct? If so, are parts to make this still available (do spurs from the B4 fit the older trannies?) or am I going to have to hunt around for some vintage RC10 spares?

It looks like my spur gear has been bodged at some point. The spur is basically a white nylon gear with nothing special inside (no diff internals or anything). At some point somebody has put two rivets onto the inside of the spur gear, and has drilled two holes onto the metal hub on the transmission, so that then the spur is pressed over the hub the rivets sort of lock into the holes, although not very tidily. I imagine the idea is that when a nut is applied to the input shaft and tightened onto the spur, this locks both halves of the tranny together to give a fully-locked differential. Maybe this was some rash repair to a damaged spur gear/diff unit.

Anyone offer me a sensible suggestion as to if I'm on the right track, if spurs are still available, and if I'll be able to repair the tranny without forking out for all new parts?

Yes, you have a "6-gear" transmission. It is completely different from the "stealth" transmission in the later RC10s. The spur gear also doubles as a diff, but it seems the previous owner disabled the diff mechanism and created a posi-drive. New parts are still available here and there or you could go the ebay route.

The stealth transmission has 3 internal gears and a spur with slipper clutch. The diff is on the lower gear that powers the outdrives.

Not to go off topic, but tell me, secretasianman...Do you live a life of danger? Does everyone you meet stay a stranger? :blink::D

As has been said above, it's got the original 6 gear transmission, not the stealth.

The diff in the 6 gear transmission was taken straight from their 1/12th scale kit and was in the spur gear. The spur gear is your standard diff spur, as used in all 1/12th scale cars, most race buggies and a lot of touring cars. The same with the balls and diff washers. The Stealth gearbox has a diff in the normal final gear and a slipper clutch on the spur gear.

The manual can be downloaded from here

http://www.rc10.com/shusting/CatalogHub/ca...d_1.10buggy.htm

Depending on the suspension arms the manual you want is either the original RC10, or the RC10 Championship Edition(1990).

Interesting.... just this morning I was going through some of my old manuals, and came across the original RC10 manual... copyright 1984!!! Talk about detailed..... the thing is 66 pages!!!!! The transmission alone is 15 pages! It's amazing that I've had this manual for years, but never really had a look inside! Makes me glad there is an online one available, I'd hate for someone to be pulling down and rebuilding this transmission without a manual!!!

Alex

Aah thank you for the help people :D I will download and read the manual at leisure.

I notice the Stealth transmission is still used on modern RC10s - has is changed much over the years, or is it still much the same? I'm not sure whether I should try to repair my tranny as the internals look worn, or look for a new one.

I will be hunting down some spares shortly...

Has the Stealth Tranny changed much, well, yes and no, it just depends on how you look at it..

The original stealth had a gear ratio of (I think) 2.25:1. The Stealth used in the T3/B3 (and T2/B2??) range had a ratio of 2.4:1 and the Stealth in the T4/B4 range has a ratio of 2.6:1. I think that one of the main reasons that the gear ratio changed throughout the years, was that AE kept upgrading (or beefing up) the differential.

Obviously the gear case itself has changed, to allow for the bigger gears, and to allow the fitment into the different models.

BTW, the ratio of the standard 6 gear is 1.83:1.

Cheers.

Sorry to resurect this thread again but i too have decided to bring my original RC10 out again. And doing a quick search brought this thread up.

I've got an original RC10 6 gear gearbox, now a couple of years ago a guy advertised on ebay a 6 gear gearbox but 48dp gears (fine mesh) As this would mean easier gear ratios I bought it (only a few quid) And right enough all the gears are fine pitch not the course pitch of the original.

So my question - does anyone know who made the fine pitch gearbox ?? is it an Associated item? the original seller didn't know - he just aquired it.

Only thing is it makes pinion choices a lot better and the gearbox is 10 times quiter.. Any help appreciated..

Thorp made the 48 pitch conversion. later MIP bought out thorp and for a little while MIP continued the 48 pitch conversion, then in 1991 the stealth became standard equipment on the rc-10s and there was no reason to make the 6 gear parts anymore.

Cheers for that ;)

later MIP bought out thorp and for a little while MIP continued the 48 pitch conversion

I'm surprised MIP continued making them considering they had their own transmission that was far and away better than the old six gear.

I'm surprised MIP continued making them considering they had their own transmission that was far and away better than the old six gear.

Maybe getting rid of old stock they inherited? B)