Azreal

Kyosho Ultima Wheels..

Got an Ultima Pro I am building as a runner. I am looking for a set of nice chrome/chrome painted wheels for it.

The fronts are not as wide as the rear of course and support bearings. The rear wheels support a 12mm hex insert.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND A SET OF CUSTOM WHEELS DESIGNED FOR THE KYOSHO ULTIMA LINE? NICE STREET TYPE TIRES WOULD BE NICE TOO!!!

Tower Hobbies and the rest are not descriptive enough for me to know I am getting the right set. PLEASE HELP!!!

Most people are converting old Ultimas to use the current 2.2 wheels. There are very few tires that fit the old 50mm Kyosho wheels.

Should you decide to stay close to original, the only wheels that fit your criteria are the old chrome HPI super star buggy wheels. These have been discontinued but you may still be able to find these laying around at hobby shops. Traxxas still makes tires that will fit this rim size. Tamiya makes some rear tires that fit too. I have some on my Turbo Optima, but I have not uploaded new pics. Maybe I'll do that this weekend...you know along with the Christmas shopping and honey-do list. :lol:

Most people are converting old Ultimas to use the current 2.2 wheels. There are very few tires that fit the old 50mm Kyosho wheels.

Should you decide to stay close to original, the only wheels that fit your criteria are the old chrome HPI super star buggy wheels.

I dont care staying original like with my turbo ultima. This is for my Ultima pro build, which I will run. I want something that looks hot! Chrome wheels would look best. I just dont know what wheels will fit, and if I need to change something to make a more popular size/pattern wheel fit, I will do it. As for the front, I would like to go to the same width wheel/tire as the rear if I knew how. The choice for the narrow 2wd wheels are slim pickins. I have seen some pics of some ultimas that have nice rims, and I would like to do the same for mine. As long as it is an ultima at heart, I dont care if I am 100% original. badword, I will be running a 12 turn motor in this thing. All I can hope for now is that it doesn't tear my gears up. I just need help with the wheels. What can I use is the question.

To fit alternative wheels to an Ultima look here

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33507

As for choice of wheels, the only chrome wheels I know of to fit buggies are made by Traxxas, but to fit those you will need to replace the Ultima knuckle, axle and uprights (everything that attaches to the end of the wishbone) with either Bandit or Ultima RB5 parts, so you have a hex drive on the front axle.

For road tyres Proline Dirt Hawgs are popular

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXDU14&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXDU13&P=ML

Schumacher also do a range of on road tyres

http://www.racing-cars.com/usa/search.asp?...p;templateid=12

All of these will need modern 2.2" wheels.

To fit alternative wheels to an Ultima look here

As for choice of wheels, the only chrome wheels I know of to fit buggies are made by Traxxas for the Bandit, but to fit those you will need to replace the Ultima knuckle, axle and uprights (everything that attaches to the end of the wishbone) with either Bandit or Ultima RB5 parts, so you have a hex drive on the front axle.

For road tyres Proline Dirt Hawgs are popular

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXDU14&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...LXDU13&P=ML

Schumacher also do a range of on road tyres

http://www.racing-cars.com/usa/search.asp?...p;templateid=12

All of these will need modern 2.2" wheels.

I may be missing something.... THE FRON IS A THINNER TIRE! I got the rear figured out...as you said, it uses standard hex. I found the HPI SS wheels for the rear. As for the front, not only can't I find wheels to fit a 4mm shaft, and a wheel not as wide as the rear (its 2wd), but a matching HPI SS wheel for the front with the hex config AND THINNER. Please, can someone tell me what I am missing? Would the front and rear be the same width wheel? the link to towerhobbies for the alternate fitting for kyosho, I dont understand how it will do what I need when I can't find the right wheel to even work with that kit that is chrome, that has a matching rear with hex. I am about to say the heck with it!!! Frustration is getting to me!

Here are the HPI wheels I was taking about. Obviously, 2wd fronts are thinner.

That is exactly what I am looking for!!! I picked up a set of those for the rear today at the local shop. They are wide 2.2 for the rear with hex that fit perfect. I need to know exactly what I need to get to make the front work, and where I can get the thinner equivlent wheel of what is in your picture for my front end. What all do I need to make it happen?

those wheels need a hex.

what it all boils down to is this: if you grab a 5mm front axle off ebay so you'll be able to use most any modern front buggy rim you find just by popping 5mm ID bearings in it.

or,

you can convert to a hex drive up front and use Bandit rims, sedan 1.9s, narrow 4wd buggy rims... etc.

daymned good try my friend but that is a typo at tower. those are 4mm. just like stock.

Firstly 2wd buggies do have a much thinner front wheel, they don't use the same width wheels. Even 4wd buggies generally have thinner fronts. They don't make buggy wheels these days in chrome, in fact Tamiya are the only company that makes buggy wheels that aren't a flat solid dish.

As for the front, not only can't I find wheels to fit a 4mm shaft,
As I said above, to fit any modern wheel to the front check here

That is exactly what I am looking for!!! I picked up a set of those for the rear today at the local shop. They are wide 2.2 for the rear with hex that fit perfect. I need to know where I can get the thinner equivlent wheel of what is in your picture for my front end. What all do I need to make it happen?

You will not find HPI Super Star front wheels in any shop unless they have old stock as they haven't made any 2wd or 4wd buggy wheels for at least 7 years. HPI make Super Star wheels that are the same size as 2.2" buggy wheels, but they are actually made for their Superscale tourer.

What do I have to do to make these fit.....

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...I=LXSXR8&P=

Again as said above you will have to replace everything that attaches to the wishbone with either Traxxas Bandit parts or Kyosho Ultima RB5 parts.

Firstly 2wd buggies do have a much thinner front wheel, they don't use the same width wheels. Even 4wd buggies generally have thinner fronts. They don't make buggy wheels these days in chrome, in fact Tamiya are the only company that makes buggy wheels that aren't a flat solid dish.

As I said above, to fit any modern wheel to the front check here

You will not find HPI Super Star front wheels in any shop unless they have old stock as they haven't made any 2wd or 4wd buggy wheels for at least 7 years. HPI make Super Star wheels that are the same size as 2.2" buggy wheels, but they are actually made for their Superscale tourer.

Again as said above you will have to replace everything that attaches to the wishbone with either Traxxas Bandit parts or Kyosho Ultima RB5 parts.

Ok, I see where all of this is going.... To do it right, convert to the front end out of a rb5. No problem, except.....well, except a whole bunch... First, I know I can get the plastic parts, but what about shafts, screws, and pins. Does the ultima pins/eclips work with rb5 plastic hubs or do I need to get that too? Does the rb5 parts fit on the end of the ultima a-arm? Making this thing a hybrid, I dont have a problem with as I think it would be fun as badword. I guess what I would need to research is what all would I need. I found the basic plastic parts, but what about bearings, screws, pins, and ball ends? I don't think there is anyone on this forum or any other that has actully done this. Ok guys, if I do indeed try this, I will need some help.

[nod]

chrome just isn't in fashion for 2.2 wheels any more. it went out right along with scale appearance.

those 5mm axles will let you run associated, duratrax, tamiya, kyosho... but you're looking at solid dishes in skateboarder colors.

if you want the biggest selection of styles, you want front hexes.

[nod]

chrome just isn't in fashion for 2.2 wheels any more. it went out right along with scale appearance.

those 5mm axles will let you run associated, duratrax, tamiya, kyosho... but you're looking at solid dishes in skateboarder colors.

if you want the biggest selection of styles, you want front hexes.

I should have been into 4wd back in the day...lol. Well I suppose I am old school when it comes to style. Skateboarder colors are not my thing. I want my stuff to shine!!! I will research converting the front to rb5. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Anyone ever done this before, speak up. What will or wont fit. What will I run onto? This is gonna be a hodge podge car that is so hybrid, it wont be funny, but it will have shinny wheels!!!

Ok, I see where all of this is going.... To do it right, convert to the front end out of a rb5. No problem, except.....well, except a whole bunch...

find some pdf manuals n get to work! :P i'd start by looking at tamiya's f103, kyosho's newest, and traxxas' bandit/rustler/stampede.

i already started converting my ultima with traxxas spindles. it doesn't fit with ultima a-arms because the pins are much thiner. it only works [barely] for me because my a-arms are aluminum and clamp down on the pin. BUT i started mine before the new traxxas stuff came out so the pins might be thicker now.

let me know, a'right?! ;)

find some pdf manuals n get to work! :P i'd start by looking at tamiya's f103, kyosho's newest, and traxxas' bandit/rustler/stampede.

i already started converting my ultima with traxxas spindles. it doesn't fit with ultima a-arms because the pins are much thiner. it only works [barely] for me because my a-arms are aluminum and clamp down on the pin. BUT i started mine before the new traxxas stuff came out so the pins might be thicker now.

let me know, a'right?! ;)

Ok, here is the deal... indeed the traxxas pins are thicker now... the same diameter as the ultima. I have ordered (i believe) everything i need. I went with the traxxas bandit components. I got the traxxas wheel hubs w/ pins, caster blocks, steering blocks, front axels, 4 5x8mm bearings, pins to connect caster block to the steering blocks, and a freakin partridge in a pear tree!!! I went with the same wheels I have for my rear (hpi ss chrome) but went with the 26mm size. I got the tires for the front to go with them. the diameter of the wheel is 52mm. The only thing I am worried about is if the caster blocks or steering blocks will rub on the inside of the wheel. Also, the only thing I couldn't figure is the ultima's a-arm measurement when you would insert the steering block/caster block. I hope the width is the same as the bandit a-arm to accomodate the new parts. The bandit pdf (I was one step ahead of you on that one..lol) did not provide measurement but only on the pins. I will be sure to take pictures (if all of this works) and post them. If not, I am....well.....a few bucks short with no ultima pro/bandit..lol runner. It is gonna be a long bulid as I have ordered all new bearings for the car, shock towers, shocks, bread, butter, milk... oh sorry, wrong list.... and a whole bunch of stuff. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks everyone for all the help. RitchieRich. Hang on to the T. Ultima decals for me. I will be getting them soon enough. Merry Christmas everyone here in the US, and the UK as well!

are you sure? because it looks like the same 2mm pins. just bundled together with a new stock#

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXSGY7&P=7

I did not order those pins. I am going to use the existing pins from the ultima. The ping that goes through the end of the a-arm that holds the axel/caster is going to be the original ultima pin. The a-arm is also going to be the original ultima a-arm. If indeed the pin is going to be to big (and you are right) then there should be enough plastic in the bandit caster that I can drill the hole for the larger diameter pin. According to the bandit manual, pin part# 2637 is indeed 2x31.5mm. The ultima pin I will be using, accoring to the manual is 3x32mm. So if we are talking a 1mm difference, drilling will not be required, simply a reaming of the hole should do the trick. So ream and lube is what it may come down to...lol. When you said the pins being smaller, were you referring to a 1mm difference, or did you encounter a much larger (or smaller in this case) difference? As of this point, this is a shot in the dark on whether this will work or not at all. It being a 1mm size difference, that is close enough to me to say it is same size. Modification by force will indeed prevail!

If indeed the pin is going to be to big (and you are right) then there should be enough plastic in the bandit caster that I can drill the hole for the larger diameter pin. According to the bandit manual, pin part# 2637 is indeed 2x31.5mm. The ultima pin I will be using, accoring to the manual is 3x32mm. So if we are talking a 1mm difference, drilling will not be required, simply a reaming of the hole should do the trick. So ream and lube is what it may come down to...lol. When you said the pins being smaller, were you referring to a 1mm difference, or did you encounter a much larger (or smaller in this case) difference? As of this point, this is a shot in the dark on whether this will work or not at all. It being a 1mm size difference, that is close enough to me to say it is same size. Modification by force will indeed prevail!

yes, i was babbling about only a 1mm difference. the traxxas part isn't very beefy though, so reaming might not last long. the traxxas parts are alot easier to come by so it's certainly worth a try.

after looking at the ultima 5 pdf i'm thinking it might make the front end to wide.

yes, i was babbling about only a 1mm difference. the traxxas part isn't very beefy though, so reaming might not last long. the traxxas parts are alot easier to come by so it's certainly worth a try.

after looking at the ultima 5 pdf i'm thinking it might make the front end to wide.

You may be right as I thought the same thing about the rb5. I was bummed to see myself move away from kyosho parts. Another fear I have is rubbing on the inside of the wheel. I dont really like how the traxxas parts hook up but someone has to be the first to tackle a "who knows what will happen" project. The parts, if they work, are still very easy to come by so replacement is a breeze. If this works, then that tells me it would then be possible with maybe a more suitable, more sturdy part.

Ok guys... I got all my parts, and so far it seems to be working! The steering parts from the Traxxas had to be lightly filled to fit in the Kyosho a-arms, but other than that, it all fits! The pins were the exact same size as the originals, so no reeming was required. I will post pics when I get it all done. I got the front end done minus hooking up the servo, and the rear end is done except for the gearbox bearings. I found a LHS that had a pile of old kyosho parts in the back! I scored gear boxes, rear shafts, servo savers, gear covers, a rear bulkhead, pinion gears, and a spare gear set! Can you believe it, right in my back yard!