Butler

Project Jwrc

Evening all, thought I'd start this thread as I enjoy the other picture rich threads we have.

Bought the swift because I fancied a FWD car. I wanted something more efficient then a shaft 4wd. Plus I like the handling of a good FWD car. Lift off over steer, easy to drive etc etc. I also love the WRC.

So starting with this:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58368swift/index.htm

Bought a mtroniks tempo11 ESC

3000 battery

full bearings

then later a SS RZ motor.

Now in my opinion the original mini works well in M chassis, the scale is right, so is the stance and the wheel/tyre combo, but the Suzuki looks rubbish. It sits to low and the wheels are too small, just doesn't do it for me.

Image058.jpg

The ultimate goal for this project is to build a rally car that I can swap between on and off road use just by swapping the wheels and maybe the shocks, or ride height.

So I set to work. Found some multispoke 1/10th wheels and fitted them. Naturally I went for rally blocks. Fitting the wheels and had to trim the arches.

CIMG4117.jpg

I feel the size is about right. Next I took the car on holiday a couple of times and found some hard packed graveland mud and the car performed really well. Handling is as expected, good fun. I removed the spacers from the shock to give a little more height. Its runs well on short grass too.

Sadly it rained though.

Image066.jpg

More soon folks...

Next... I don't like the 1/10th wheels I have, the design just doesn't match the real thing.

I have sourced a set of these wheels for my next gravel tyres.

58308.jpg

For my tarmac tyres, to match these:

swift.jpg

I have got these:

bbf6_1.JPG

In the mean time I ballraced my RZ motor, tidied the wiring, put my reciever in a balloon, moved the reciever and esc into the chassis and fitted deans plugs.

Looks like this now:

Image070.jpg

I noticed an increase in speed after ballracing the motor and fitting the deans plugs. I was surprised.

Whats left? Well a fair bit...

First of all a FWD rally car is always going to struggle on the loose, so I want to see if a ball diff will help.

I am not convinced rally blocks are the best tyres off road either. The car is so light I need some finer tread, or pins to dig in. They will go on my focus wheels.

Just ordered some tamiya slicks for my tarmac wheels. The ones that came, the profile is to low.

WRC Action is sorting me out with some TL01 parts so I can widen the car. This I am hoping will help with ground clearence and looks.

When running lots of ground clearence, the car has positive camber, so need to looks at that after fitting the TL01 parts.

Need to source some oil shocks, some longer for off road, some shorter and stiffer for on road.

Cheers for now.

Looks like this today:

Image073.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome, especially any recommended mods. I am new to the current Tamiya selection.

Hi Butler

very interesting project I must say that having had a nib swift for a little while before trading it on I do want to go back and make an on/off road version of one to compliment my all action TB01 that can go between gravel and tarmac by as you say simply changing shocks and also the wheel/tyre combo.

Firstly your parts are all out and I have your payment so will be getting them to you on monday. There will be an adjustment to positive cambre when u let the suspension fully. the way to get around this is with some adjustable upper arms for the Tl01 about a 4 option.

I do like your larger wheels and would recormend the stock tamiya tyres with the larger side walls in partocular the tamiya semi slicks which I have found work well in everything bar heavy standing water and are untouchable on greasey surfaces where a FWD car would normally struggle.

You will need two sets of shocks one for off and on for on road as otherwise you will be compromised overall. My dad is still using a single set and his TB01 is at 15mm high roughly. On tarmac due to the roughness of our track he isnt to badly affected but when on the short grass he is often the first to get stuck as opposed to my TB01 which has the LA set and is jacked up to 20mm with a little xtra travel that I dont use which allows the wheels to drop down with the terrain.

Shocks and oils is very much a personal thing that u need to work with and the style of driving that you have.

two things I can help you with are ball diff just put a couple of shims in to press the mechanical diff parts together and you get a fixed ball diff that is totally reliable and doesnt untighten during your run.

Also worth noting is on the tyre front there are some kyosho tyres that I use sometimes with a narrower and softer block. they are shown in my how to guide that does need an overall haul with the new settings tho might provide some helpful hints.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...23&sid=8468

finally your not to far away overall perhaps a central based meet some time?

Cheers

Ryck

Update.

I now have the following items in the post somewhere...

2x ball diffs

4x Tamiya radials

4x Tamiya slicks

TL01 parts and bearings

Spare servo savers

Royal Mail seems to be crapo at the moment.

I'll keep my eyes open for a possible meet for the new year. I am hoping my brother will be getting a car over xmas too. Plus my old man it building a 22v lipo brushless kyosho 405.

I am looking for oil shocks and some alternative rally tyres next.

Yes, the second set is what I was going to try, a finer spike should dig in better on a light weight car.

Butler - Your item was posted today 1st class.

look forward to seeing moredevelopments when all the parts arrive.

22v lipo 405 is that with the kyosho dakar shell?

cheers Ryck

Butler - Your item was posted today 1st class.

look forward to seeing moredevelopments when all the parts arrive.

22v lipo 405 is that with the kyosho dakar shell?

Cheers!

I think its the dakar one, yes. It was a nitro car.

Well the TL01 stuff is too wide, the tyres stick out the arches. However if I ever decide to build it with the ultimate ground clearance, then I think they would be great. The higher you raise the car, it brings the wheels in.

Looking at TG axles and deep hexs next.

Its the RZ, and this is off the reciept from modelsportuk.

MSP-B1838532(Modelsport UK Bearing 1/8x3/8x5/32 (motor)) @ 2.95 each

Tamiya full slicks have arrived, plus some spare servo savers. Whoop whoop.

Butler - Ok What u will need then is the wide TG10 axles and hubs, the ones in the TL01 suspension I sent you are the same as the stock TG10/TB01 ones and are silver as opposed to the slightly darker metalic colour of the wide axles.

The wide hubs are option parts in many kits and best bet is a wanted add on tc.

Cheers Ryck

Can I not just fit slightly deeper hexs? I only need a couple of mm each side. I have enough thread showing through at the moment.

Slicks fitted. Looks good.

Image080.jpg

Gonna brave the cold and try it out.

Those slicks do look very good :rolleyes:

On the hubs the difference between the stock ones and the wide ones is more than a few mm. My advice would be to use the longer axles or just use washers between the present hubs and the wheel like those I have used on my Touareg.

Cheers Ryck

I have spaced the wheels out on the hexes with O rings for now. Probably only 1mm all round, but I think that will be enough.

I have spaced the shocks internally, so it sits low, (Had to raise the body up). It handles really well now lower, the tamiya slicks are getting more grippy now scrubbed them in. More pics soon.

I do need to buy some decent short shocks. Then that pretty much it for tarmac.

Next I will look at raising it up on longer shocks for off road. Any suggestions? I need CVA shocks that are longer than the standard M chassis shocks.

Just purchased a nicely hopped up TL-01 scooby off ebay for my brother to race against. :)

He can have my old rally wheels and I shall try some HPI rally tyres on my Focus wheels.

476e_1.JPG

Still need to build and fit a ball diff.

Off road shocks the standard tamiya CVA shocks with the long end parts should be prefect. There what I use on my TB01 and can be made plenty long enough.

Quick for a ball diff is to use a few more shims in it to get a compression on the gear mesh and slow down the diffs action that way, Cheap and more reliable just not as easy to adjust but once u get it sorted its like that till u alter it. No diffs coming lose :)

Smart looking Tl01 they are pretty easy to get travel out of to be fair. Just watch the motor with a guard. Ill post picks of the one I made a little while ago.

if i can find it

Cheers

Ryck

There appears to be..

Tamiya Mini CVA Shock

Tamiya Super Mini CVA Shock

Do I just need the Mini CVA or is there a CVA, not mini.

Ta,

the mini shock unit as the one that fits on the TT01, TL01 etc.

Just use the long ends like it tells u to on a TLO1 B the buggy version and you should be fine.

Cheers

Ryck

Do the long ends come in the kit?

Just put an order in with stella...

ta03 diff

carbon hollow shaft. Pointless I guess, but were 2

tl01 stainless shafts

20 and 21 t pinions. Apparantly the 21t fits fine, but my 20t is worn.

I just need new rally tyres and shocks, which stella don't do.

Then I may dabble with a stabilizer kit on the rear.

I'll get some short oil shocks for tarmac in the future, maybe some other make ones.

Yeah the long end parts come in the kit,

Rally blocks if you are tamiya normal touring car sized ones I have a hardly used set that you could have,

if you are after m chassis sized ones go to JR-RC

Short shocks I would just get a set of those GPM ones on the bay, bout 12/15 should see you fine, they are theaded which will be gd for easy adjustment.

Cheers

Ryck