Sign in to follow this  
omegabri

Ta-02sw

Hi guys....

I've got an old Taisan Porsche GT2 and was wondering if it was worth anything ??

I'm now on to a TT01, fully race prep'd - which is sweet !!

I copied the following from Tamiya website:

The only car built on the TA-02SW (short & wide) chassis. Also the only TA01/TA02 with silvercoloured gearboxes. The Taisan Starcard is now a much sought after Tamiya car. The highly detailed Porsche body (modelled on the Japanase sports car championship winner) makes for a great looking kit. A must for the collection if only to look at,

??????????...Anyone recon it's worth anything, or should I just keep hold of it (although the body is now scuffed !!) ????????

Bri... :)

Hi Omegabri,

I had the Taisan Porsche and sold it recently for over 120 USD just the bodyshell only. However mine is in mint condition. It seems like body is worth more than the chassis. If your body is scuffed and built then it is considerable lower the value of the price.

VS

If it were me..

I'd keep it.

Because no doubt a year or so after you sell it you'll be like.

"I had a Taisan Porsche GT2 TA-02SW Chassis, I sold it for $XXX.. and I wish I still had it"

If it were me..

I'd keep it.

Because no doubt a year or so after you sell it you'll be like.

"I had a Taisan Porsche GT2 TA-02SW Chassis, I sold it for $XXX.. and I wish I still had it"

lol yeah you are right brother Madaz75. I still think about if I made a good decision even though I dont have any SW chassis.

I turned a blind eye because I must focus on 260mm wheelbase bodies... Too many bodies and too little fund.

VS

MMMmmm.......

May be I will...

As much as it may be worth, I think it'll stay (unless anyone ever offers a good enough price to maybe buy a second body and wheels etc. for the TT-01 !!! Ha ha ha)

Bri..

What do I say now !??!........

Someone's offered me between 60 and 100 pound for the TA-02SW, as it stands now (obviously with no transmitter)

What would YOU do ????

:)

Clean up the chassis, then buy a replacement shell (you can still find them) and then keep it. Then make sue that you put in your will that they bury it with you!!! :)

Actually I've been thinking.........I still might stick it on ebay, but stick a reserve on it. :)

Any sugestions as to what a reserve would be set at ?????

I really want a HPI Saleen S7R body out of it, and some spare wheels and tyres...............May be eh !?!?!?!? :)

Actually I've been thinking.........I still might stick it on ebay, but stick a reserve on it. :)

Any sugestions as to what a reserve would be set at ?????

IMHO, while a reserve will guarantee that you don't sell the item for less than you were willing to let it go for, it will deter bidders. If the item is desirable, like the TA-02SW Taisan Porsche, you will normally get the best/most accurate price for it if you start it at $1 with no reserve and ensure you have the correct search terms and good pictures. "Tamiya Taisan Porsche TA-02" would be a good start.

It's a bit difficult to value these items, since they're worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them. Search the completed auctions on eBay for some rough idea of price.

Typically though, it's the condition of the bodyshell of this car that determines price. The chassis isn't anything special except for the gearbox cases. It's the bodyshell (and to a lesser extent the wheels) that commands the price. If the shell has no cracks/dings/scuffs, is well cut, has all parts, and is painted/decaled as per box art, it will command a much higher price. Splits will devalue the body the most. If the body has only minor scuffs, then these can sometimes be polished out, and won't devalue it too much. Likewise, scuffed/torn or poorly applied decals can be replaced, but the buyer will factor in the cost of replacement decals. If the wheels are in good condition, with new tires or with unglued tires, all the better.

Any pictures?

- James

Don't fall into the trap of thinking you have a gold mine on your hands because you may be dissapointed. As others have said, the shell condition is the key to it't value. A while back I picked this one up for $60.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...17997&id=34

I have switched out parts of the chassis but the shell is how you see it.

Actually the shells far from perfect, but the chassis and wheels are mint (In fact I even have some original spare back wheels for it somewhere)

With this in mind I might pass it on to my mate, who offered me some cash for it enough to buy that HPI Saleen and second set of wheel anyway !

The other thing I was bothered about was that the standard TA-02SW isnt gonna be anywhere near faster than my new ball raced TT-01 with its Sport Tuned motor ???

I dont want to get rid of anything faster than my new TT-01 and end up worse off on the road !!

Ho humGuess its time to let go of it after all these years.

Cheers guys.

Bri..

Actually the shells far from perfect, but the chassis and wheels are mint (In fact I even have some original spare back wheels for it somewhere)

With this in mind I might pass it on to my mate, who offered me some cash for it enough to buy that HPI Saleen and second set of wheel anyway !

The other thing I was bothered about was that the standard TA-02SW isnt gonna be anywhere near faster than my new ball raced TT-01 with its Sport Tuned motor ???

I dont want to get rid of anything faster than my new TT-01 and end up worse off on the road !!

Ho humGuess its time to let go of it after all these years.

Cheers guys.

Bri..

Well the TT-01 chassis, although fun to frive with a few hop ups is a very basic starter level car, and the TA02 isn't so basic, with some money spent on hop ups you could have easily as much speed in the TA02, but would you then want to race it around knowing the rarety of it?

If i was you i would make the choice based on your wants, like do you want a car that you can use competetively? if so sell them both and buy a better standard car like a later model TA, maybe an 03, 04, or more likely a TA05 that you could hop up to your hearts content and have something that's pretty capable.

If you want a car for it's shelf apeal then keep the Taisan and buy a new shell for it.

I personally would sell it in the best state i could, and put that towards what you really want, but then i'm not really a shelfer, i like to drive all my cars (apart from the two early models i have).

Just my two pence. :D

My Taisan is a real money pit.

I had to buy new parts trees to replace missing and damaged gearbox parts (they ended up costing more than the car).

It needs original wheels, tyres, the shell painted and decaled, and a new steering servo.

The wheels are still very easy to find on E-Bay, normally around 5-10 per pair but the wide rear tyres are more rare, but still not expensive (less than a pair of current CS22 racers!).

You seem set on selling it so I'd advise that you e-bay it as you'll get more than your mate will probably offer. Post it on the UK / Europe site as the primary as it'll sell for more in Europe than in the US or Far East. I don't think a reasonable starting bid (not reserve) will stop potential buyers as these sort of items usually get bought in the closing couple of seconds by bidders who don't bid till the end anyway (most of the early bidders drop out). Make sure it's a long auction so all potential buyers get to know it's there, and end the auction on Saturday or Sunday evening, around 7pm so all Europe and the US are awake and looking for something to spend their money on!

Then get a TA05 and take a look at the 3 Racing hop ups - c/f chassis etc, cheap as chips!! Cheapest competent racer around?

Or keep it :D

OKI think Ive made my mind upIts going on Ebay !

Ive just been polishing it up, and its got to be said It does look awesome !, but Id still like to carry on with my TT-01 etc..

Ill take some photos of it sometime soon and stick it on-line. The shell has been hit on one corner of the front end, but still looks OK although Id had to put some resin on the inside looking at it, so it would benefit from a new shell I guess. Everything else is mint.

I think Ill start it at 70 quid, or does that sound wrong ? I just dont want to let it go for silly money if the right people dont see it Especially less than Ive already been offered for it !!

Ho hum.End of an era I guess, but hopefully a new HPI Saleen S7R shell coming soon and some spare wheels and tyres to match for my hopped up TT-01 !!

Ill post again when I get it online so you guys have the chance of bidding, if you fancy it.

Cheers guys..

Bri.. :D

OK.....I've done it !!!! :(:(:(

The Taisan Porsche GT2 TA-02SW must fund my new TT-01 habbit finally, but it was a mega hard choice to make....

It goes online on Ebay (UK) Thu, 03 Jan, 2008 at 20:00:00 GMT for a 10 day auction.

I've listed it as "Classic Tamiya Taisan Starcard Porsche 911GT2 (TA-02SW)"

Good luck if you want it and go for it !!!

Bri.. :(

Take the brackets out of the title, if someone searches on "TA-02" they won't find it as it stands.