supergreg

Optima Vs. Turbo Optima

Hi,

may sound stupid, but does the original Optima bodyshell fit on the Turbo Optima? I mean are the cars identical in dimension and body mount? Or are there any major differences? When I fit an Optima shell on the Turbo Optima, will it look like an Optima (apart from the chassis differences)?

thanks

The Optima series of shells should fit on each other. The Optima shell with fit the Turbo Optima and vice versa. The chassis is basically the same on the Javelin, Optima, Turbo Optima, and Optima Pro (although the Pro does have a different top deck)

As Tipsy mentioned all will fit, the Turbo Optima and Salute bodies were made wider to accommodate the 8.4V battery which will not fit with the Optima body.

Hi,

may sound stupid, but does the original Optima bodyshell fit on the Turbo Optima? I mean are the cars identical in dimension and body mount? Or are there any major differences? When I fit an Optima shell on the Turbo Optima, will it look like an Optima (apart from the chassis differences)?

thanks

I did it ;):P;) ;) :D

I won this nice Optima with belt drive conversion, original box, stickers, etc, etc. The Sand Super tires are in excellent condition. As I got a spare set of rims, I will make one set a runner. Are there any modern spiked tires that fit to the rims? I think they are 2", are they?

Now waiting for the car to make its way over the pond. :o

what do you think of the package deal?

cheers

Nice Optima there, definitely an early model as it still has the thin wishbones that were upgraded in the kits after the Turbo version came out.

Not a lot of choice with the tyres, Optima wheels are only 1.75 inch diameter, not 2 inch. The only modern tyres that will fit are Subaru Brat tyres, which at the time were used often as an on road tyre.

The Optima was the car that invented the 12mm hex drive, so there are plenty of modern 2.2" wheels from Kyosho and Tamiya that will fit straight on. If you have Turbo optima wheels they are 2 inch and tyres for those are made by Traxxas, Schumacher and Tamiya.

Nice job! The belt drive upgrade is a fantastic add-on for this chassis. Not a lot of tire choices for those original wheels. If you want to stay Kyosho, you can probably find some of the larger 50mm (1.9') Kyosho wheels or move up to a standard 2.2 as Terry has said.

Those thin wishbones were a little weak. I busted up several sets of those before I put the beefier arms on my Optima.

cheers guys. I have a set of aftermarket onroad tires that are exactly 1.75 inch inner diameter. I will give them a try.

about those wishbones: I could easily get hold of a set of wishbones, but I'm not sure if they are the upgraded ones. Could you please identify from this picture?

post-4692-1199821001.jpg

Those are the early arms. The upgraded ones are thicker and have more mounting holes. Plus they have some webbing.

thanks. Maybe I will find a set of those some day.

again about the wheels: If Rough Rider ones will fit, what about Sand Scorcher/Hornet? They are only an bit smaller and maybe can made to fit with a little stretching. Anyone tried this?

I just wanted to let you know that Grasshopper/Hornet tires fit quite well! I had to cut down the inner lip of the tire to make the rims fit and I had to leave away the black inner ring (whatever this is called). Finally to give them a more Optima-like appearance, I cut down the outer row of knobs. Here's the result:

DSC09387.JPG

DSC09389.JPG

not bad for a runner, what you think? It will keep my original Sand Supers in good condition <_<

post-4692-1201719939.jpg

post-4692-1201720012.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry for resurrecting ancient history, but can I ask another really dumb question?

Will a Javelin cage fit a Turbo Optima body?

Never mind. Found my answer. Google is a mrówka's 🐜 friend.

Hi, are you bidding on the black and gold optima pro....15 hours 9m left (at 00:31) 😁

it looks a good car. 

I have 2 optima and 2 optima turbo 

shell and everything else are transferable between these cars. 

Good luck 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 6:32 PM, Rocky Maniac said:

Hi, are you bidding on the black and gold optima pro....15 hours 9m left (at 00:31) 😁

it looks a good car. 

I have 2 optima and 2 optima turbo 

shell and everything else are transferable between these cars. 

Good luck 

I just saw your reply. I bought a different Turbo Optima re re. 

Decided that the chassis was sound but the body was skanky-looking so I converted it to a Javelin. Now, I wonder whether to get hold of another Optima body and convert it back. Or maybe not.