Sign in to follow this  
Arms14

Advice Needed - How Do I Get My Tl-01 Set Up The Way I Want It?

Hey all,

As I am relatively new to all this rc stuff. My technical knowledge is, well let's just say limited ;)

I have a 2nd hand TL-01 with a Kyosho Endo 16turn double wind motor, set at 19t pinion, it has ball raced bearings already and I have just put on new 1.9" touring car rims with treaded tyres.

I would like to run this car as a car park runner mainly, I am interested in good top end speed, but more importantly it all about the acceleration for me. I like to do doughnuts and skid it around alot. I am also planning on putting together a basic tarmac track on an unused car park near me. With lots of tight corner so I can race with my buddies.

So..... what's the advice for setting this up? Is there a glossary anywhere of set-ups for different driving styles/tracks/uses?

Oh I also have an HPI Porsche 911 Turbo bodyshell (which seems to be a little wide?) can I get spacers or wider rims to move the wheels out a bit so it looks better and if so what effect will that have on performance/handling?

So many questions so early....... thanks guys/gals.

Check this thread to see some pics of my car <<CLICK ME>>

ARMS

there's not much that needs doing on a TL01... suspension isn't very adjustable

19 pinion is about right for a 16turn motor running in small spaces;

larger pinion will give higher top speed but slower acceleration.

If its too overgeared the motor will burn up.

Worth "modernising" though... eg

A) if you've got the stock 'friction' shocks with the rubber tube, junk them.

They didn't work too well when new, would be lot worse with age.

Get some CVA oil shocks or many 3rdparty equivalents available now.

B) mechanical speed control? ahh... get with the 21st century & go electronic!

if you really want to go to town and make your wallet cry for mercy, read this

TAMIYAUSA (BUT YOU'VE BEEN WARNED OK?)

btw tried DRIFTING? get some drift tyres, could be right up your alley :D

A) if you've got the stock 'friction' shocks with the rubber tube, junk them.

They didn't work too well when new, would be lot worse with age.

Get some CVA oil shocks or many 3rdparty equivalents available now.

:) mechanical speed control? ahh... get with the 21st century & go electronic!

if you really want to go to town and make your wallet cry for mercy, read this

TAMIYAUSA (BUT YOU'VE BEEN WARNED OK?)

btw tried DRIFTING? get some drift tyres, could be right up your alley :D

Yeah oil shocks are my next must buy! Already got my eye on ebay for them.

I have an electronic speed controller (I think) it's an M-Sonik Sport RV (Max Fet) whatever the badword one of those is ;)

Drifting eh? Can you still get good straight line speeds? Or is it all about the drifting round corners? After checking out a few more threads on TC I am leaning more and more towards getting my self an off-roader, probably a truck (not to keen on the look of the buggy) so I can bash some jump out.

I to also have a TL01 that im looking to upgrade, its actually a 57706 XB Lancer EVO VI.

from what ive read here, the biggest improvement i could make would be installing ball racers, I've got a set on order with the blue rubber shields, which ive heard is better for keeping dirt out, and lower maintenance then the metal ones.

while im inside the chassis upgrading the ball racers, i was planning on replacing the shafts with carbon shafts, is this a good move and will i really gain anything from it?

is there anything else i should upgrade and replace while i have the chassis apart?

i've also been planning on joining the modern world, and getting rid of the mechanical speed controller, for an ESC, tamiya makes a couple, but the 101 seems very basic and only seems to support a 27T motor, where the 302 supports up to a 23T motor. are there any other ones out there that i should look into getting?

and replacing the motor, from what i see there's a large selection to choose from, BZ, RZ, TZ, GT, etc. the car is used almost exclusively for bashing. without replacing any of the other gears, which motor would suit me best? i've read in the past that some people have melted their chassis with too hot of motor. so for gearing and motors, what would really be my best upgrade, this is the part im most confused about.

Thanks.

i am now selling my TL01 chassis as i need the room for future buys. it has been a great chassis for bashing. Mine has speed tuned gears, hollow carbon gear shafts, carbon drive shaft, ball-raced + all the turnbuckles and stuff. My mate who works at my local hobby shop said its the best handling one he has seen. It did have a 19turn in it and i have also tried a 13x3 put that just made it mad to drive. but the 19t was great fun.