Lemming

Superb Service From Acer

Well, my Acer laptop was under warranty from Comet, and had the following wrong with it (yes, I saved the fauts up until it was just too annoying)...

Hinge rear cover split

Trackpad buttons failing

Battery dead (and killed the laptop if plugged in)

Intermittent fault on the O key (probably just a dodgy contact as the laptop is kept clean, and cleaned regularly)

Called Domestic and General (warranty people) who asked me to call Infoteam (Acer support). They arranged collection of the laptop via DHL on New Years Eve.

Received it back today (they only had it for New Years Day plus 1 normal day), with the following replaced:

New top cover and backlight for the LCD panel

New trackpad

New battery (most companies claim that these are consumables, and will therefore only cover half the cost)

New wireless internal card

Hinge covers replaced (they are part of the rear panel - so whole panel replaced)

Now, considering I didn't even complain about the backlight or the wireless card this is awesome service, as well as being prompt. The funny thing is that on calling them yesterday (had forgotten to tell them about the hinge cover) they told me what they were replacing (much to my surprise). The service is no different whether you were with D&G or themselves, but I must point out that theirs is MUCH cheaper as long as you take it out within 3 months (to include accidental damage).

So the long and the short is that I would heartily recommend Acer PCs (plus the Acer warranty,not the store one) to anyone out their simply based upon the level of aftercare provided. I'm not just saying this as a general user, I was a technical manager for a company based in Cardiff who provide IT and Security products and have never had that level of service even as a business customer with any of the bigger brand names we used (HP, IBM, Toshiba, Dell - Dell was the MD's idea for office laptops - Bad move).

I know who my next laptop or PC will be manufactured by... :)

Steve

That is impressive!

I am an IT manager and we use Dell for all our servers/desktops/laptops - I have had nothing but flawless service from them - any trivial hardware problem has been dealt with well within 24 hours - also if you are a business customer you get to speak to somewhere in Scotland rather than off shore somewhere.

Im glad to hear about that, I got Erica an Acer laptop from Comet, so nice to know any problems should be quickly fixed.

That is impressive!

I am an IT manager and we use Dell for all our servers/desktops/laptops - I have had nothing but flawless service from them - any trivial hardware problem has been dealt with well within 24 hours - also if you are a business customer you get to speak to somewhere in Scotland rather than off shore somewhere.

I was amazed, especially as I am a normal home user. :D

I have to admit, I did like the fact that business customers got the Dell UK contacts rather than some call centre elsewhere, but I found them to be less than interested on several occasions. I wonder if that is because we generally had IBM servers and PC's with HP printers and Toshiba laptops. We only had 2 laptops from them (really to test their support) so maybe it was the small quantities we had which altered the support we got.

Due to the poor response times, we moved to HP laptops, which was a much worse move than Dell (Toshiba was the best of the 3 at the time). They died randomly, and HP refused to do anything on-site, even though that was the service level we paid for...

Glad to hear that Dell are working for you though. I guess with most business support it seems to be directly linked to how much you have from them...

Im glad to hear about that, I got Erica an Acer laptop from Comet, so nice to know any problems should be quickly fixed.

Hi Rich,

Did you get the store warranty? If it is within 3 months of purchase, you can get the Acer warranty for about 80 cheaper (just in case you can cancel the store one). No panic though, either way you get Acer themselves in the event of a failure, so it's a big plus! I read the warranty documents from D&G and was not impressed (unpleasant clauses like "if we can't repair it, we will issue vouchers to the value that we would pay our suppliers for this unit" - e.g. Not for what you paid out, but what they pay Acer)

We love Acer! :)

Steve (The bored house-husband with a sleeping baby and way too much time to play on-line today)

Well, my Acer laptop was under warranty from Comet, and had the following wrong with it (yes, I saved the fauts up until it was just too annoying)...

Hinge rear cover split

Trackpad buttons failing

Battery dead (and killed the laptop if plugged in)

Intermittent fault on the O key (probably just a dodgy contact as the laptop is kept clean, and cleaned regularly)

Called Domestic and General (warranty people) who asked me to call Infoteam (Acer support). They arranged collection of the laptop via DHL on New Years Eve.

Received it back today (they only had it for New Years Day plus 1 normal day), with the following replaced:

New top cover and backlight for the LCD panel

New trackpad

New battery (most companies claim that these are consumables, and will therefore only cover half the cost)

New wireless internal card

Hinge covers replaced (they are part of the rear panel - so whole panel replaced)

Now, considering I didn't even complain about the backlight or the wireless card this is awesome service, as well as being prompt. The funny thing is that on calling them yesterday (had forgotten to tell them about the hinge cover) they told me what they were replacing (much to my surprise). The service is no different whether you were with D&G or themselves, but I must point out that theirs is MUCH cheaper as long as you take it out within 3 months (to include accidental damage).

So the long and the short is that I would heartily recommend Acer PCs (plus the Acer warranty,not the store one) to anyone out their simply based upon the level of aftercare provided. I'm not just saying this as a general user, I was a technical manager for a company based in Cardiff who provide IT and Security products and have never had that level of service even as a business customer with any of the bigger brand names we used (HP, IBM, Toshiba, Dell - Dell was the MD's idea for office laptops - Bad move).

I know who my next laptop or PC will be manufactured by... :D

Steve

Thats some amazing service. Although, if you were going to get a PC, just build it yourself. You'll save hundreds of dollars

Thats some amazing service. Although, if you were going to get a PC, just build it yourself. You'll save hundreds of dollars

I always used to, but certainly in the UK that is no longer true.

I recently bought an HP PC for the wife. The reason for that was that it cost exactly 22 more than building the PC from components (including a licensed version of Windows).

Also means that the unit is warranted to work together (not always the case with certain manufacturers components) and that any fault does not involve me diagnosing the faulty component, just arranging for an engineer visit.

That's really why I don't bother anymore.

Steve