Sign in to follow this  
Cinnamon

Lexan "chrome" Paint ?

Hello !!

I wonder if some of you guys know about a lexan chrome SPRAY paint ?? I believe I once saw that LRP had one ,but Im not sure ?? I dont have access to a spray gun so I have to use cans. I know about the Alclad , but its not avaible in can or what ??

And A Happy New Hobby Year !! Olle Sweden

Spaz Stix mirror chrome comes in both aerosol and air-brush. Rather expensive for a can, but everyone says it's really easy to use. Must be backed with black...

chrome_bill.jpg

Question: What do I use to back the Mirror Chrome Aerosol paint?

Answer: A waterbased paint such as Createx will work to back the Mirror Chrome paint. Always test the chrome and waterbased backer on a scrap piece to verify the results you will receive before painting your final project.

Wow,

That looks so shiny..

I only have to ask..

How durable is this Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome?

Can I paint a race body with it and expect it to not flake off after 1 or 2 race meets?

I have seen custom color do a chrome spray. They had it in my local hobby shop.

I wouldn't paint the whole body Chrome and expect it to last. For small areas it's fine, but I'd expect a car like the one posted above to start flaking after just a few hits or flexing.

there is a spazstix supplier in the uk and you can get to it via a link on the spazstix usa site (spazstix multimedia). the guy in the uk is called paul chapman and is very helpful despite having lots of problems recently with the domain, but check it out anyway. i've just painted a shell in mirror chrome and backed with gloss white, looks superb. well happy :o:lol::lol:

Hi, do you have any experiences painting the Spazstix chrome paint with a brush? I have a Chevy body with lots of moldings that would be easier to paint with a thin brush rather than use an aerosol spray. Thin trim strips are difficult to mask and the chrome would not have to be absolutely perfect. How about larger areas if I add paint thinner and retarder?

can't help you with the brush sorry mate, only used rattle can. its that good though i've gone a bit mad with it and started spraying all kinds. maybe email the guy at spazstix and see what he thinks?

I use the Alclad chrome in spray tins and its good stuff but about 10. You can get an airbrush version for less than 5. You need to let the chrome dry for at least a day then it MUST be backed with a water based polycarb paint, black gives the best result. If you use a rattle can to back it, it eats into the chrome and ruins the finish.

Fastrax do chrome spray. I've used it and it doesn't fall off, and can be backed with regular Tamiya PS paint. 7 a tin at Modelsport.

71070579xk4.jpg

31808954hn9.jpg

Sorry for the appauling pics, but thats from 2 years ago, that body had done about 6 race meetings so the outer surface was scratched to badword. ;)

You can't brush on chome paint, the brush strokes show up. And you can't scuff the body surface as it clouds up the effect and makes it look like brushed aluminium.

Thanks for the ideas lads. I guess Ill have to try to mask all those moldings then. Darn, I would have loved to just paint the chrome with a tiny brush, back it with the same brush and then spray the background color all over.

But you are right in asking the Spazstix guys. Cant hurt to give it a try.

Wow,

That looks so shiny..

I only have to ask..

How durable is this Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome?

Can I paint a race body with it and expect it to not flake off after 1 or 2 race meets?

Distributor in Australia for Spaz Stix, I just ordered a bottle, will try it out next week on my day off :blink:

http://www.qikazz.com.au/hobbies/index.php

here are some pics of my brat sparayed with spazstix mirror chrome rattlecan. pics aren't the best yet cos i need to clean the fingerprints off and do one or two little touch ups but i will get some better ones for my showroom.

DIGI0018.jpg

DIGI0019.jpg

DIGI0022.jpg

DIGI0020.jpg

the paint is good quality, goes on well as long as you keep it to thin layers but thats obviously the norm for sprays anyway. it backed with white gloss, the spazstix website recommends to use white gloss for a brighter reflection or black gloss for a deeper shine.

i like it! :unsure:

Hi dj thats the sickest lexan brat ive seen, great work its sure diffrent . whats it like with a light under the body @ night ? nuts i bet.

pimp my brat lol,

fastrax chrome l@@ks great like that.

cad

there is no light, its the sun shining through the candy red and saying that you made my night!! ;):lol::lol: exactly what i was looking for!! full pics will be in my showroom sunday eve, weather permitting (need sunny shots). was trying to stay away from the same old red, might upset a few traditionalists! :unsure:

there is no light, its the sun shining through the candy red and saying that you made my night!! ;):lol::lol: exactly what i was looking for!! full pics will be in my showroom sunday eve, weather permitting (need sunny shots). was trying to stay away from the same old red, might upset a few traditionalists! :unsure:

you didnt read it right lol ,i said whats it like with a light under it @ night like a low watt bulb just to see the diffrent shots , i see it was sunny and thats rare for the uk lol, you a lfc supporter lol

cad

i understand now cad, yeah. man i am so slow sometimes :unsure: and yep, i'm a proper red. thought about putting torres 9 on the back but some people might then just crash into it for fun ;)