Sign in to follow this  
Biggins

Which Truck For Bashing

Here's my dilemma, Wild Dagger, E-Savage or E-Maxx

I have a Wild Dagger that I have put Venom Fireball 21x2's in and I'm not really awe inspired by its speed. It is quicker than standard but its not great. I am thinking about getting rid of it and getting either an e-savage or an e-maxx. The e-maxx is more expensive but from the pictures look really cheaply made, the e-savage looks much tougher. Any thoughts?

The other option is to get the Dagger going better. I have a M-Troniks Super Truck esc to use. It is already ball raced. What can I do to it to get it going to the performance of the larger trucks without spending more than one of the other trucks would cost to go and buy?

Cheers

Chris

For outright speed and power you could upgrade your chassis to a twin battery chassis, and run it at 14.4 volts.

this means you could fit the e savages 550 motors, and have all the power of the e savage in the lighter wild dagger chassis! :huh:

i've got the e savage motors in my txt-1, which is heavy and still geared low for torque, but its great fun and a real handful - i can imagine that power in a chassis half the weight would be pretty insane :lol:

The e savage itself looks like a very nice truck. HPI cars have a nice quality feel to them, I'm still very tempted to get a the huge 27 cc baja in kit form - but it ain't cheap!

I personally don't like the toymaxx. The new one is supposed to be better out of the box, but the original was fairly poo when it came to surviving bashing - i've seen a few snap clean in half :)

the emaxx is easier to work on,but can be weak.bulkheads.but has loads of hopups available.

the esav is strong,but has really bad steering.and i think is heavier.

there is a new emaxx out soon.sometime in january which is what i would go for.

Ok ive had both the e-savage and an emaxx old type, for hop-ups its got to the emaxx as most parts are the same as the t-maxx, the hpi has little to none and there not the cheapest either, out of the box i would say the e-savage is just a tad faster, although first time you ramp it you will break a rear drive shaft (23 for a pair to replace, this was the reason i got rid of mine and got an emaxx, luckily it had loads of hop-ups done for me and ran like a dream. out of the two i would say i preferred the emaxx, its bigger easier and cheaper to keep running and handles far better then the e-savage could. do check out the new emaxx 16.8 it does look awesome, and its on my shopping list for sure.

hope this helps.

bfst24 - Reading other posts you put some 550's/600's in a dagger typr twin battery chassis? Any pics?

bfst24 - Reading other posts you put some 550's/600's in a dagger typr twin battery chassis? Any pics?

still waiting on some of the parts.

but as soon as its done ill put some pics up in the other post.

just by coinsidence i have just aquired a hpi esavage.

i was building an e-revo but due to a new baby havent had time for my projects ,so i swapped it for a esavage.

gonna put the 600's in that now .hope to get out and have a play this weekend.

also herd that esavs have weak drive shafts ,but im gonna swap mine out for emaxx drive shafts if they break.

Best performing from the box ? Get the E-Maxx. Hands Down. get the new version which has waterproof electronics. Also, the most hop-ups available. Want a dual battery racing Twin Detonator ? Will cost way too much to do. I've had both. I know. Get this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...TJR4**&P=ML

Of course if you want to spend the time modifying then go with the Tamiya. But it won't perform like the Maxx. Hope that helps.

The E-Zilla is the most advanced design and SHOULD be the best (as the nitro Savage is way better than the T-Maxx) but I much preferred the E-Maxx so I would say go for that. Obviously LiPo and HV brushless adds to the fun but it won't make you popular at the bank!

Best performing from the box ? Get the E-Maxx. Hands Down. get the new version which has waterproof electronics. Also, the most hop-ups available. Want a dual battery racing Twin Detonator ? Will cost way too much to do. I've had both. I know. Get this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...TJR4**&P=ML

Of course if you want to spend the time modifying then go with the Tamiya. But it won't perform like the Maxx. Hope that helps.

If you are UK base, try Modelsport. Just come into stock today, and reduced to 249.

Steve

the e-maxx is just sick fun and really durable. the only problem i've had is twisted drive shafts and axles b/c i had the slipper to tight and ran it on way too grippy a surface for that setting. cheap and easy to fix, tons of hop-ups, big jumps and speed. what's not to like? good luck with either purchase though.

Having now run it several times...

NEW E-MAXX on 16.8v is simply amazing. Of course the waterproofing makes it even more fun (as the neighbours discovered earlier in the week during torrential rain).

Actually selling my Gecko crawler too as the E-Maxx even scrambles over rocks well enough for fun (not serious crawling in stock form though).

Acceleration is absolutely awesome, and after a few runs it wheelies on demand.

Will try to get a video up soon.

as others have said, i recomend and E-maxx. hop ups are dirt cheap now and performance is more than adequate. I heard that Traxxas is coming out with a brushless version that is going to be ballistic.

Thanks for the responses, but against all advice above I bought an E-Savage. Main reason being that I have all my lhs's are HPI dealers, none had the e-maxx and I didn't see any other traxxas stuff in anyway. The result of that is support for lhs and ready supplies for when I break it. Other reason was friends nitro Savage is so tough and the e-maxx just didn't look as strong in the pics.

Anyway, I am really pleased with the e-savage, it will wheelie from a standstill, is stable in turns (if a bit wide turns at speed), jumps well and keeps bouncing off stuff.

So thanks for the responses, even if I didn't listen

Thanks for the responses, but against all advice above I bought an E-Savage. Main reason being that I have all my lhs's are HPI dealers, none had the e-maxx and I didn't see any other traxxas stuff in anyway. The result of that is support for lhs and ready supplies for when I break it. Other reason was friends nitro Savage is so tough and the e-maxx just didn't look as strong in the pics.

Anyway, I am really pleased with the e-savage, it will wheelie from a standstill, is stable in turns (if a bit wide turns at speed), jumps well and keeps bouncing off stuff.

So thanks for the responses, even if I didn't listen

Glad you got one, regardless of which!

I just recently broke my E-Maxx, long story short is that frequency issues (my fault) on a fully charged 16.8v emaxx resulted in flat out (30mph ish) impact with a rock! :(

Broke the front skid (4) and bulkhead (6) and the chassis (12) is split... On the plus side, even with those breakages it is still fully working! Just that the front skid is missing, the chassis looks worse than it is (still rigid) and the front bumper is only held to the bulkhead by 1 side.

Even better, as I couldn't find the chassis in the UK I emailed Traxxas. They have sent me a replacement for free (just received it), so a 30mph hit cost me a total of 10. ;)

I will get a video up soon, and look forward to seeing yours on the loose!

Steve

I will get a video up soon, and look forward to seeing yours on the loose!

We need to be having a twin-battery race event at Kidd this year!!