Sign in to follow this  
bigoggy

Whats Collectable

is it just the hobby grade nikkos thats collectable? or are the toy grade ones collectable to?

Some of the older, non hobby-style Nikkos are collectible too. This is because they had nice hard-plastic body shells with genuine sponsor logos that made them look a lot nicer (even though they were slow) than a lot of today's lexan blob cars.

Also, they were toys representing the vehicles of the early 1980s, so fans of that era like to have them.

Some early Nikkos had interesting technical capabilities too, and Nikko was far in advance of any other non-hobby grade R/C toy company in those early days. For example the Sand Eagle was a roughly 1/10 scale Sand Rover style dune buggy released in 1981. It was digital proportional, with 6 speeds, simple spring suspension, and remotely operable headlights and working gull-wing doors. Truly an amazing toy and very expensive in it's day - I have a NIB one that I bought from a seller in Germany and I'm fairly certain the original toy shop sticker says "180DM".

Other interesting models include a version of the Nikko Toyota Hilux which had remote gear shift. And the Nikko Flexmobile - a tracked vehicle (better looking than the Kyosho Blizzard quite frankly, though with nowhere near the performance of course) which came in Polar (snow) and Sahara (desert) coloured versions. These will always get solid bidding.

Often these toys were sold with different names in different regions of the world (and sometimes they were re-released with new names), which makes tracking down an conclusive history very difficult.

As for prices, I have seen some of these Nikkos go for more than US$250 (in particular I saw a Walter Rohrl signature edition Audi Quattro go for a high price) however if they are damaged or missing the remote - the value plummets, due to the inability to repair/restore them with parts. NIB ones are harder to find than NIB Tamiyas because they were ready-to-run models, and more often than not have been used at some stage.

cheers,

H.

thanks for the advice. i asked becouse i often see nikko's for sale for a couple of pound, but i didnt know whats collectable as i am mainly interested in tamiya and schumacher.